Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice-Which over/under or semi-auto to buy?

Need Advice-Which over/under or semi-auto to buy?

Hey guys...I just joined a local gun club and went to my first 5 stand match. I didn't shoot, but my buddy shot his Beretta semi auto and did pretty well. I would really like to go out and give it a shot. They mix it up every week...skeet one week, trap the next, etc.

I only have standard pump action 12 gauges and I know that won't work...or at the very least isn't ideal. Most of the guys there had over unders, but a few had semi autos. I trust the opinions of the CB crowd, so recommend me a good over/under or semi-auto that will be a decent gun for doing the 5 stand, trap, and skeet. I know it will sort of be a compromise deal between all three styles, but I am just starting and want something that will work well to see how decent I am at it.

I'm willing to spend up to $1000. I'd prefer to stay as far under it as I can, but from what I do know (which isn't much...) I should be able to get something decent for that amount.

Ideas? I'm OK with used if that helps, but I prefer to buy new.

Thanks!
    TP

Boolit Man

$1000 won't get you an over-under that will stand up to the number of rounds you'll be shooting at clays. Best bet in my opinion would be to buy a used Remington 1100 12 ga in good operating conditions.

Hard to beat an 1100. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ng-series.aspx You should be able to find a used one in your price range. A new is going to go over your budget. They do hold their value very well.

Ok..it looks like a cool piece. Any other opinions?

Boolit Buddy

Take a look at a Stoeger Condor Competition, decent price for an entry level gun.
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Boolit Master

The fastest trap and skeet shooter I ever saw used a Remington 870.

He could beak trap doubles in about one half second and on the skeet range you literally only heard one report. You would swear he only fired one shot and broke both birds but there would always be two empties on the ground.

Don't sell the pump short. It is a good machine.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Some day I would love to use it. That said, starting out I think the last thing I need to do is add another layer of difficulty...pumping. I am really liking the idea of the 1100.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look at the Ruger Red Label. They're built like a tank.

I personally use a e686s 12g

Boolit Master

If it were me I'd buy a used Browning Citori Special Sporting if I could find one. I've had mine seems like forever and shoot Skeet, Trap doubles and Sporting Clays with it. It's had somewhere north of 10K rounds through it and NO problens other than the hinge pin loosening up a little. Try Jaquas in Findley Ohio to buy one. His prices are fair and he won't lie to you just to sell a gun. I've bought several guns from them and have been satisfied every time.

Boolit Master

I shoot a Citori with tubes. You should be able to find a good used one for around $1200.+/-

Boolit Mold
    Get a Beretta 391. Stay away from Stoegers.

Boolit Master
    If you intend to reload, the automatic throws the cases everywhere. Pump gun, you can eject it into your hand. You need a gun with choke tubes if you intend to shoot skeet and trap with the same gun. Trap choke is full to extra full and skeet is about no choke. You get less felt recoil with an automatic. whatever gun you buy, pattern it to see where the point of impact is. trap guns are designed to shoot high so you can see the bird better. I would use a few borrowed guns to see what felt and worked the best before I bought anything. Then look for a used one like the one you liked best. Pawn shops are flush with shotguns right now. Never pay asking price in a pawn shop. If you don't reload for shotgun, plan on doing it. It takes practice to become a good trap or skeet shooter. Find a gun that shoots where you point it. You don't aim a shotgun, you point it. You want a barrel with plenty of ventilation between the rib and the barrel because if there is not enough space for ventilation, you get a heat mirage floating above the rib after the barrel heats up. an 870 is all you really need to start with, an 1100 or 11-87 are good choices but they all need choke tubes

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with using your pump for starters. Don't sweat the second shot make the first one count and have fun. I ran about 2,000 shells thru an 870 when I first started. Lots of guys where happy to let me try out their shotguns so long as I used my own shells. I ended up with a used Beretta 391 for $800, I still have it and it is a joy to shoot. I picked up a used Beretta O/U 686 for $900 that I think will end up replacing the 391 at the range if I ever find the time to get back out there.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

If you go with an Auto go with the Beretta 390,391,3901 and I would recommend staying away from the 1100 or especially the 1187 remington. I've been shooting clays for 20 years and Remington auto's are scarce as hens teeth on clays fields, they don't hold up and are not reliable. Beretta Auto's rule in that game if you go Auto. Shoot your pump for a while and try other peoples guns. Don't be in a hurry to buy a gun.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Why isn't a pump ideal? I wouldn't think twice about using my BPS, it's what I shoot best with. Shotgun fit is more important than the platform.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    When it comes to semi autos Beretta makes a great line of shotguns and there are plenty of older 390s out there. Benelli also makes a great line of semi autos.

If you go the o/u way I would recommend saving your money and heart for nothing less than a Browning or Beretta you can spend more if you want but I really doubt you will see a practical difference until you get more experience.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    As you can see you opened up a can of worms! Everyone has different opinions. The trouble is most shotguns made by major makers are going to work fine and have acceptable workmanship. Contrary to some here I think the Rem 1100 is an excellent choice to start with! Just keep it clean!

I lucked up and found a Beretta O/U 682 Gold E a few years old but picked it up for $1000 out the door and as it is a competition model can be shot loose and then rebuilt! I doubt I will ever have to do that but it is of that quality! That is my skeet gun and is only used for that although would be an excellent quail gun.

I shoot a single barrel Browning BT-99 for trap and it is nice and they are quite popular at my range! As you see there are different guns for different games but I still contend that a Rem 1100 with chokes would be a great all around affordable beginner gun to get your feet wet! I have a left hand model that I use for sporting clays and for anything where my more dedicated shotguns would not work as well!
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-09-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

As always, when you ask for opinions, they come in all shapes and sizes. I appreciate every one!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    If you go with an Auto go with the Beretta 390,391,3901 and I would recommend staying away from the 1100 or especially the 1187 remington. I've been shooting clays for 20 years and Remington auto's are scarce as hens teeth on clays fields, they don't hold up and are not reliable. Beretta Auto's rule in that game if you go Auto. Shoot your pump for a while and try other peoples guns. Don't be in a hurry to buy a gun.
    Fecmec knows what he's talking about. Don't rush in. When you do decide to buy, the beretta 390 series is where it's at. Plenty of used ones out there too.

Banned
    Give Weatherby Auto a chance too at around $450 to 500 for a new one!

I can't buy it as I need a rifled version for all my testing, you're lucky for your needs it would just fit right-in.

I'm proud to be a Elite Musketeer, among other Elite Musketeer's here.
    " One for all & All for one "

Best regards,
    Ajay
    SuperBlazingSabots,com
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
    http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
    -Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
    We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.
    Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK