Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting loads for 45-70 405 gr.

Hunting loads for 45-70 405 gr.

After 4 years of looking and saving I bought the lever gun Ive been searching for! Its a Pedersoli 1886/71 Premium 45-70. I even passed up a Browning re-issue 86 to buy this one. Now I need some help with the best loads to hunt and plink with 405 gr. Ive broken it in with 60 rounds of box ammo with amazing results and, tons of cleaning. I want to keep it lead and heavy from now on. Ive got plenty 405 cast, 2 diff. moulds and lots of new brass. Varget, IMR 4198 and IMR SR4759. I am not recoil sensitive but, Id like to keep the cup under 29000. I know, no bears in Nebraska soooo, where do I start? All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! 24" bbl, 1 in 18 twist, 6 groove
    Last edited by Bob86/71; 07-23-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've not yet tried 4759 in 45-70, but shot a fair amount of 4198 under 400 grn. +/- cast. Kinda favor 3031. Funny thing; as I was typing that I just realized, I've never fired a jaxteded boolit out of any 45-70. Is there actually a need for copper condoms on any 45-70 boolit? I suppose if you wanted to hot rod a 300 grn boolit out of a Ruger #1.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

In Remembrance

My favorite load for the 45-70 is 25 grains 2400, oke-wonder wad on top of powder, Lee 405 gr fn, slight taper crimp. 1.5 in groups at 100 yards.

Boolit Mold
    I use 40 grains of IMR3031 with an Ohaus 45-405-F in my 1895 Marlin. This is not a full load but has significant recoil. 5 rounds is enough at 1 sitting. Just under 2 inch group at 100 yards. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sodcity/8567849496/

the old Elmer Keith load of 53 grains IMR 3031 and a 400ish boolit will allow you to know you have a RIFLE in your hands. this load is great with 350's as well. it is also a 100% load which is good for excellent accuracy. this is a hunting load and not a bunch of fun for all the time. however ...

load 2 is a great amount of fun in my levers and single shots alike ... 34 grains RL-7 ... enough cornmeal to kiss the bottom of a loaded boolits base and to compress it around 1/16th of an inch ... sparked with a cci 200 large rifle primer ... loaded in a rem case ... you can load em without the filler but I have always gotten better accuracy with a 100% load in the case ... these are so fun with the same 400 or 350 grain boolits. this load can be shot for an entire afternoon with no beating of either the rifle nor shooter.

a very nice load with your 400 grainers is 8 or 9 grains Unique with a cci 200 prime in the same case ... these are so addictive that you better take a hundred with you for an outing.

now for the very best in 45-70's ... lever or single shots ... take 70 grains 2f blackpowder and load a .060 vegi wad over powder then compress it so your boolit will load to the crimp groove ... now crimp to keep the boolit in place and go have way too much fun!!! these are the original sharps loadings as I understand it ... as the military loads were a bit lighter being a 55 grain load with either cork or cardboard wads to take up the space...I have never gotten these [the 55 grain load] to shoot well for me but they are huge in the fun dept.

what ever you do first things first... take your fired cases from your rifle and slightly bell the mouth and measure the mouth and neck of the case. this will give you the diameter your rifle wants to fill the throat and as long as you shoot something along the line of 30 to 1 or purer lead percentage then these should surprise you in the accuracy dept.

have a blast with your new arrival.

Boolit Buddy
    My best Guide Gun load with the Lee # 90374 (400-ish depending upon alloy) has been with 45 gns. IMR 3031.

Ive put my 405 molds out to pasture, but when I used them my standard load was 38gr Reloader 7, veggie wad, dacron filler.
    Ive since lowered the grainage to 34 grs, and moved up to a Ranch Dog 425.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Since you have 4198, 32 grains of it under a 400 to 425 grain boolit worked in my Guide Gun. Under 28000 psi for sure, and pleasant to shoot at 1300 fps+.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Buddy
    I hate to rain on your parade, but your rifle is not going to shoot 400 grain and lighter bullets all that well. The problem is the 1-18 twist. You need a longer, heavier bullet that will cycle through the action. Get a Lyman 457121 mold . Those 480 grain FN bullets are magic in an 18 twist, and even more so in my 20 twist Cowboy Marlin. Load 36 grains of 3031 and you will be happy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but your rifle is not going to shoot 400 grain and lighter bullets all that well. The problem is the 1-18 twist. You need a longer, heavier bullet that will cycle through the action. Get a Lyman 457121 mold . Those 480 grain FN bullets are magic in an 18 twist, and even more so in my 20 twist Cowboy Marlin. Load 36 grains of 3031 and you will be happy.
    This ain't so. They will not only shoot the 400g bullets well, they'll shoot some 300g bullets well also. The problem may end up being that the gun as purchased, won't chamber some 400g bullets due to the short throat. I had two of these guns and neither would chamber a wide metplate heavy bullet unless it was seated to a short oal. Rem 405JSP would not chamber unless seated below the crimp groove. I ended up with a Win 1886 and it has the same twist rate and I'm getting groups of an inch or so (five shot) at 100yds with 300g bullets. I can tell you that out of a six and a half pound gun the lighter bullets are a lot more fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Well I don't own a lever gun in 45-70, but my sharps likes 70 gr of Wanno FFg behind a 405 grain cast boolit, and my bolt gun likes a case full of 2400 behind the 405 grainer. I even hesitate to mention the 2400 load because it will wreak most rifles and if it doesn't it will wreak most shooters. With that being said it is the best shooting load out of that particular rifle when I can stand to shoot it. I would personally play with the black powder loads myself if that rifle were mine.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Attachment 76988
    Here's a group I shot a couple of days ago out of my Win/Miruko 1886 with 300g bullets.....RemJHP and 2400 powder. Pleasant to shoot (at least pleasant compared to heavier bullets) and pretty accurate. I shot five shots in a row loading single shot and not waiting for the barrel to cool down. Not rapid fire but not slow fire either. There's plenty enough power to kill a deer without killing the shooter at the same time. I have some other loads with this bullet that will do as well or maybe a tad better. The OP asked about hunting loads, not target loads so that's what I'm showing. Good luck and have fun with the gun. I think you'll find that the light weight of this gun may have you taking a look at lighter bullets and loads.

Boolit Master
    For my various .45/70 lever gun I use: Rel 7,IMR 3031,or 4895.Just depends on which shoots the best in my individual guns...enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    For my various .45/70 lever gun I use: Rel 7,IMR 3031,or 4895.Just depends on which shoots the best in my individual guns...enjoy
    I've also tried some Accurate 5744 which is also a good powder for the 45-70 adding it to my standards for RL 7, 3031 and 4198. I've never tried 4895 however.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Yes,5744 is great for the lower velocity .45/70 loads. When I want a smokeless load for my Sharps that is what I use.

Vendor Sponsor

If you are going to shoot the gun a lot, weight of the gun will be an important part of the equation.

My Marlin 1895CB weighs 7lbs 4oz empty. The heaviest load I have fired from this gun was 35 gr of 5744 with a 300gr RCBS. It got my attention right now!

The gun needs to be in the 9lb + range if you are going to shoot it very much. For hunting I could easily take 2-3 very heavy loads and not have to carry the extra weight. however after firing 20 loads of 25 gr of 5744 with the same 300gr slug I was done! My gun also has a very large Pachmayer recoil pad as well.

Your gun probably does not have that recoil pad, it probably has a nice crescent butt plate which will do absolutely nothing to absorb the recoil, but will work very well at transmitting every Iota directly to your body.

Problem is, you can't really get good with any gun unless you shoot it a lot. So my recommendation is that you start
    with light loads of 300gr cast boolits with charges in the range of 22-25 gr of 5744 or some other light load that will yield around 1100-1200 fps, and work up until you can't take any more.

Those Black Powder loads mentioned above generated around 1200-1300 fps and have killed everything on this planet with the possible exception of some species of Whales.

Do start out slow and work up. No need to hate your gun because it kicks too much. You have to learn how to shoot it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I use an Action Kick Killer pad when working up loads off a bench.It takes most of the harsh recoil down.Then when I am hunting,it really doesn't matter to me what the recoil is since I normally only shoot once.

http://www.traphappens.com/product/API-2300

I've had good luck with 30 gr of 5744 under cast 405's out of my Handi. It's good for about 1400 FPS, according to the folks at Accurate. I like 5744 because it's very bulky and does a great job of filling the cavernous 45-70 cases.
    It's a proven deer and pig killer.
    GH1

Now for low recoil and I'm sure it will take a pig or deer behind a 405 gr bullet, there is always 12.8 to 13 gr of good old Trailboss. It is my favorite practice load with mine. Pretty accurate also but with out the shoulder pain involved.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Fortunately, the Pedersoli comes with a good recoil pad on it. However, it will still get your attention. I'm pretty comfortable shooting around twenty shots with 300g bullets at or below 1600fps with a very good recoil pad on my gun. I ended up putting a Limbsaver slip on pad on my gun for load development. For hunting, where I might get two shots on a good day, I don't mind taking a hit. Usually you don't notice it when shooting at a game animal. The good part of the Limbsave is that it comes right off when you want the gun to look nice.