Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Atlas 618 Lathe

Atlas 618 Lathe

Looking for tooling for Atlas 618 Lathe. Gone to Little Machine Shop, Clausing, Enco and Sears! Of course Ebay too! Anybody know of any other sources for these vintage Lathes?? Need some stuff to set up. Getting the Quick Change tool post kit from Little Machine shop was looking for a steady rest and any other odds n ends!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Woodcraft sells a steady rest.......inexpensive I have seen a couple buddies take it and mod it for metal lathes. It is cast iron and heavy with ball bearing contacts. Depending on swing, you will probably have to make a baseplate for it for centering. Use aluminum plate stock.....hard enough for that purpose.

Worth checking out!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Try the Atlas forum there is always stuff there.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?? I Googled "The Atlas Forum" and didn't find anything??

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Try the Atlas forum there is always stuff there.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

I don't think there is an atlas "forum" but there is a Yahoo group dedicated to the Atlas/Craftsman, perhaps that's what he was referring to. Just go to "Yahoo Groups" and type "Atlas" in the search bar and it will be the first link to come up, those guys have the Atlas/Craftsman lathes down to a fine art!

Boolit Master
    i had a whole box of stuff for that lathe even a milling set up. the only things left are some face plates and tool holders.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Practical Machinist is a great site and while not having an Atlas dedicated section has a Southbend section and a lot of tooling will cross over!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Jolene (Jo) Olds
    Customer Service Manager

Clausing Service Center
    1819 N Pitcher St
    Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Phone: 1-800-535-6553 or 1-269-345-7155
    Fax: 1-269-342-7888
    Web Site: www.clausing-industrial.com

Clausing Industrial still supports Atlas lathes (and other Atlas machinery to a lesser extent) with parts and some of the attachments and accessories. They might have a steady rest still available for your 618.

A lot of parts and accessories come up on EBay all the time. Also, if you live in a reasonable-sized metropolitan area, people sell those lathes and parts of them pretty frequently on Craig's List.

The Yahoo news group is where all the Atlas users hang out. There's one for all the lathes, and one for the shapers and milling machines.

Boolit Master

Still hard to beat fleabay for any parts. Prices might be a bit steep but remember, if you keep the machine you are making a lifetime investment.
    One of these little guys was my first lathe and still have it. Still use it as a second operation lathe for small parts and no, it's not for sale.
    Facta non verba

Thanks guys I'm very slowly gathering the parts to get it going. I took a good look at it the other day all the big stuff is in good shape. Tailstock assembly, bedways, gears etc... It does need some cleaning and TLC. Some of the little parts need replacing like the arms that move the crossfeed. Little things like that are just broken I'm sure from being moved improperly.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the sears lathes such as you describe. It was my first one. Was supposed to go to a guy up north but that never happened. even tried to sell it on this forum. Has all the goodies that came with it and some extra bushings and the brass pieces for the compound, also milling attachment and the rather large drill chuck that screws on the threads on the headstock. Plus a small plastic container with tool bits already ground, faceplate, steady rest and follower rest. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Lost Creek has some parts for Atlas http://lostcreekmachine.com/
    also try Plaza http://plazamachinery.com/
    Yahoo has an atlas site also but you will probably need to join.

bedwards

Yours is way more complete than mine!! I wish I had the money to buy one ready to go but unfortunately I have to do it a little at a time. Its fun to mess with a little at a time. I have the Lathe which was pretty complete, I acquired a pulley for the motor, got a motor that has reverse. I need a drum switch for reversing the motor a belt and I should be able to get it running? After I get it running I will reassess what it needs adjust accordingly, then tooling and playing!! I look all the time on Ebay for "stuff" and all of the new sites provided here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    I have one of the sears lathes such as you describe. It was my first one. Was supposed to go to a guy up north but that never happened. even tried to sell it on this forum. Has all the goodies that came with it and some extra bushings and the brass pieces for the compound, also milling attachment and the rather large drill chuck that screws on the threads on the headstock. Plus a small plastic container with tool bits already ground, faceplate, steady rest and follower rest. Frank

Boolit Master
    Had a lot of fun with that lathe. Got at sears and stuck the crate in the trunk of my '70 dodge dart. Probably have had it now for close to 30 years.Needs a good cleaning but still works for small stuff. Frank