Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gloves and other PPE for gun cleaning

Moderator Emeritus

I wear n itrile gloves for the simple fact I don't like the smell on my hands when I go to cook supper...

Boolit Master

The key word in the OP is "proper." For the guy cleaning guns 1-2x each week, nothing is required except for eye protection if a splash is possible. For a worker in an armory, probably gloves and the eye protection depending on chemicals being used, exposure duration and frequency.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    Have to say I have never bothered with anything, other than cleaning up good after I am done.

Only solvent that really worries me is MEK. and Acetone, if using lots of it.

I was 19 years old and working a factory job that used a good amount of MEK for cleaning up and prepping metal after sandblasting.

I didn't know any better, I was brought up using gas to clean our hands with using the waterhose.

I came out of painting one night and grabbed a shoprag and soaked it in MEK and started washing the paint of my arms and hands. My supervisor came over and chose then to inform me that MEK can easily be absorbed through the skin and cause significant damage.

I'd been doing the shoprag and MEK for about a year when I was informed of that little snippit of info.

Edit: I just realized this was for cleaning guns and not casting...

Cleaning guns, all I really use is rubber gloves, not really for safety, just because it's bit cleaner.

I do take the precaution, when running brushes through the bore, of having a rag at whichever end of the barrel the brush is coming out of to contain the 'splatter' coming out with the brush.

That's about the extent of the gun cleaning safety other than having a window or door open and a fan on.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Mold
    I usually wear a pair of nitrile gloves....I work in the medical field so I am pretty used to having my hands in gloves most of the day anyways....

Boolit Grand Master

Never worried about it. Don't drink it, like run5run says.
    Every once in a while, I'll put on some nitrile gloves I keep around for working on the
    car when I am going to sit down and clean a bunch of guns, more to keep my hands
    clean than anything else.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

For me, it's about anything I have to touch if interrupted during cleaning. i.e. kid factor, food, pets, guest arrives at the front door, etc.

Boolit Master

I've been cleaning various types of guns for 50+ years or so. Mostly use Hoppes #9. Lot of WD40 and some Kroil. Used some stronger stuff and got it on me, but never a problem. When I was 16 or 17, was on a crew spraying weed killer--have no idea if it was Agent Orange or whatever. Got saturated in that stuff many times. Probably breathed in a gallon or so. Outlived a lot of my peers, maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. Worked 2-1/2 hard days at the camp this week, cutting wood, clearing brush. Never breathed hard, just tiring. Notice I don't get around like I used to. BTW, turn 66 this week. God loves me, I'll trust in him.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Realized I hadn't actually answered, just gave the reasons. I use glasses and latex gloves to clean.

Boolit Master

I sometimes use PPE depending on the operation, but I admit upfront it is not PPE. PPE is to Protect the Person. I do it not to leave fingerprints on the gun, skin oils on fabulous bluing, etc. Protects my product, not my Person.

Banned

yup and i dont eat meat and wear a helmet when im out getting exercise daily on my bicycle.

I only clean with safety glasses
    -Rob-

I Dab a little Hoppe's behind each ear and go in for the kill.

Boolit Buddy

I wear glasses, but mostly just so I can see what I'm doing up close. Sometimes wear nitrile gloves, more to keep my hands clean if I'm expecting interruptions.

On Heaven's Range

I don't use gloves when cleaning guns, just not enough volume to worry about with good air flow.

Yesterday I almost did myself in with lacquer thinner cleaning the plastic on a chain saw handle so I could epoxy the break. With my COPD one inhalation and I hit the garage floor like a llarge lead ingot. No more thinner for me!

Mr. Ed
    Last edited by Hawkeye45; 07-23-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Fat finger syndrome
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target