RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold for 300 Savage

Boolit Master
    Bullets cast from the RCBS 30-180 FN mould using an alloy that approximated Lyman #2 alloy provided good accuracy in my .300 Savage at about 1,900 fps using 2230 powder. Bullets from this mould are similar to the Lyman #311041, just longer and heavier, about 180-190 grains depending on alloy - an excellent .30 cal. bullet for the .30-30 through .30-06, usually sized at .310". It goes well below the case neck in the .300 Savage. Like 358 Win, I never found this to be a disadvantage. Another fine bullet for the .300 Savage is the NEI 311.155 GC. I think this was a C.E. Harris design for the 7.62x39 and weighed about 155-160 grains. If I recall correctly, it has a fat nose and also requires deep seating. Like the 30-180 FN, this bullet shot well with 2230 up to about 1900 fps or so, using the Lyman #2 approximation. Lee came out with a copy of this bullet; may still be in production.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Lee's .312-155 for 7,62x39 should work great. It's a great design for short necks.
    This is the mold I am using right now and I size it down to .309 for the time being.

I seat it to 2.54" OAL and use regular Lyman Ideal lube. I am using Hornady gas checks. I size to .311 then down to .309"

I am just getting started with this arrangement and using 18gr of 2400 in reformed 30-06 brass as well as new Hornady cases. ($35 per 50, you can see why I work up a load in reformed cases first)

I water quench my Lee bullets before sizing, so they are plenty hard coming from Lyman #2 alloy. I am keeping my loads to under 1900fps for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Lots of advise on moulds.........

Let me add; .300 Savage cases are easily formed from .308W cases, especially Winchester cases which are readily available. Simply FL size in the 300 Savage FL die and trim.

Larry Gibson
    I read this post with great interest, but really; is that all there is to it? I have an old RCBS 'A2' press, will I need that much of a press to do this? I don't suppose that you have some before and after photos??? If not that is OK. I have just never tried anything like this before.

Thanks for your help.