Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: lee 358-148-wc in a tube fed lever gun?

lee 358-148-wc in a tube fed lever gun?

Has anyone used this boolit in a tube fed gun like the Henry Big Boy? I am not sure of two things. First, I don't know if it would even feed well. Second, there is a little nipple on the top of the wad cutter and I don't know if that might cause primer ignition. I load a bunch of these for the revolver and it would be convenient to use them in the lever as well. Any ideas?

Boolit Master

My Rossi's and Winchester .357's will feed wadcutter bullets IF they are loaded and crimped in the middle lube groove. You need some bullet outside the case to feed well. Looks funny but works well. IMO the button nose is not a problem on primers.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1894C will feed the Lyman 358063 wad cutter which is a double end WC that has a bevel on both ends with no button nose. The bevel has to be just out of the 38 special case to feed................Terry

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the Marlins if cartridge OAL is less than 1.40" the rifle will probably release two cartdidges onto the lifter at once, jamming the gun. Seating wadcutter bullets out longer, you may run into chambering difficulty, trying to force the bullet into the rifling.

The solution is to use wadcutters in your levergun as a "two-shooter" by loading one round directly into the chamber, closing the action, and then loading only one round at a time through the loading gate into the tube magazine. Then each time you fire a shot and work the lever, shove a replacement round in the tube.