MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR ammo

Boolit Master
    "#18

303Guy:

"So what really causes these shortages? People shooting more or manufacturers producing less?"

People are hoarding the rounds and they are of two types:

Shooters who are trying to get some for their continuing supply problems.

People who do not shoot but who are generally active in markets in which there is a shortage. We last saw them during the Beanie Baby craze.

The government does not account for much of the supply problem perhaps 5%.

Attended a local gun show a few weeks ago. A few tables had bricks of. 22 LR which were priced at $65 or $72. I could tell the boxes were not new, so the sellers were trying to take advantage of the shortage. Around this area, none of the stores have them in stock. I was there to find some. 25 Auto for a relative who absolutely had to have some. She had not been able to find any in the LGS's so "Price was no object...". I found two boxes which I knowingly got gouged for. The relative did not bat an eye at the cost, she had 100 rounds in her hand, that was what mattered. Need can overule a lot.

I currently have Federal Champion 325/rd bricks on backorder for $13.99/ea. If the price on these goes up by the same percentage as J&G sales, the price of these bricks will be $52.00. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I doubt very seriously that it will. BUT, if it does, then the time remaining for my shooting anything .22 rimfire is very limited. All of my .22 rimfire firearms will be archived into the safe and marked as "antiques".
    Last edited by sirgknight; 06-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    Key phrase --- on back order
    on back order = not available
    1st rule of basic business teaching = when demand exceeds supply raise the price
    Simple to understand and well accepted business practice.

Boolit Grand Master

The early morning line at the ammo counter at Walmart, shows up behind a table at the Thursday flea market. They're not batting an eye to pay a $20. booth fee to resale the WW ammo. By lunch they are sold out and gone. As long as this goes on, the gouging will continue. I don't really blame the sellers, they have found this as a method to make an easy living. I pitty the consumer who is trying to build an inventory at these prices.
    My stash is over 10 years old, and still comfortable.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Ma Bell gouged when it was a monopoly.
    Ma Bell didn't gouge. Ma Bell offered residential phone service to everybody for a fair price, and their repair service was fast, efficient, and no cost.
    Ma Bell's crime was that they had a monopoly, were making good money, and others wanted a piece of their pie.
    Once Ma Bell was broken up, and other companies were able to intrude ... THEN the gouging began, by everybody.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    If I started an auction right now for a brick of 525 Golden bullets at .01 where would it go? I don't set the price the market does that. I have plenty of .22LR, and the thought has crossed my mind to sell a few bricks to those who need it, or were short sighted and think they need it. If I put a 25$ price tag on them they are below market value right now, and would sell in a few minutes anywhere I put them. If I put them in a 7 day auction they go for market value. It is economics, not gouging. If you have a low IQ, and didn't see this coming should I be the one who gets bent over for something that someone thinks they should get below market value? You can get blue in the face all you want, but it comes down to the have's, and the have not's. How much is my intelligence, and foresight worth? I can tell you that if I don't count you as a family member, or close friend that I know has my back you wont be buying them for no 12$ a box! And to expect that you would is down right arrogant.

Most giggle all the way to the bank when their stock price or or other investments rise. What is the difference?
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Well I think I opened up a can of worms. The posts were right on spot for what I expected. Mine was not a complaint but just a fact of what you can expect in times like we are having. The town here where I live is supposed to get a new Wal-Mart some time in the near future, there is a lot of controversy about how it will effect the other stores. Some say if the other stores are put out of business Wal-Mart will raise thier prices. I personally don't believe that. I have and do do quite a bit of traveling. I have been all across the lower 48 and I have driven the Alaska High twice and have seen a lot of western Canada. These trips were done with two other couples. We caravan pulling 5th wheels. I think I have shopped at at least a 100 different Wal-Marts and have found that prices are very consistant no matter the size of the town or city even in Canada The prices in Alaska at Wal-Mart and other big box stores were the same as the lower 48 exect for fresh meat and milk which were almost double. This is not an advertisment for Wal-Mart. My wife is a bargain hunter and we shop mostly sales. When Wal-Mart has 22 shells thier prices are reasonable and prudent. As for gun shops and sporting goods stores I know that they are just trying to make a living, sometimes through gouging. I think these stores may learn a hard lesson. Of course some people suffer from short memories My self included.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The early morning line at the ammo counter at Walmart, shows up behind a table at the Thursday flea market. They're not batting an eye to pay a $20. booth fee to resale the WW ammo. By lunch they are sold out and gone. As long as this goes on, the gouging will continue. I don't really blame the sellers, they have found this as a method to make an easy living. I pitty the consumer who is trying to build an inventory at these prices.
    My stash is over 10 years old, and still comfortable.
    Wonder how all that new found wealth is being reported?

Does the make believe dealer have a business license to sell & collect sales tax.

Something to think about!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I am waiting for there to be a fire at the plant that makes baby formula. Once that happens, I am going to run around to all the supermarkets and drug stores and buy all the baby formula I can. Mothers "have to have it", so they'll pay my price and I'll make a tidy profit.

Just kidding guys. I'd never do that. I was just putting a different spin on the debate.

The current situation has been going on for oh, about 6-7 months now. I bet people will be so bored of this "crisis" in another 6-7 months that there will be 22LR coming out of our ears.

Unless the economy collapses sooner than expected. I do understand people's urgent sense to get their hands on ammo.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Ma Bell didn't gouge. Ma Bell offered residential phone service to everybody for a fair price, and their repair service was fast, efficient, and no cost.
    Ma Bell's crime was that they had a monopoly, were making good money, and others wanted a piece of their pie.
    Once Ma Bell was broken up, and other companies were able to intrude ... THEN the gouging began, by everybody.
    And that explains why the price of phone service plummeted and service quality skyrocketed after Ma Bell got broken up, right?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Good thing your just kidding because mothers come equipped by God with built in formula. All 9 of our children never had a bottle, NEVER or formula other than God given.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    And that explains why the price of phone service plummeted and service quality skyrocketed after Ma Bell got broken up, right?
    Went down around here, Arkansas area. Price has gone up considerably as well. MaBell was perfect before the breakup, as well as IBM (sued by CDC). IBM is just now starting to recover, having been saved by their inventions all along. Their royalties are phenomenal. ... felix
    felix

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Gouging it is

Why does the word "gouging" upset some people ? Do we have a politically-correct movement here who feel it is necessary to jump on someone if their choice and context of words is different from their own ?

Gouging means different things to different people. Whatever it means to me does not have to line up with your own definition. I do not think it is fair for some to narrowly define gouging as applying only to things deemed necessary and essential. Primers are not a necessity of life for us, but neither are cellphones, second and third or more cars per person, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, more than one tv, laptop pc's or the newfangled stuff, etc.

If someone goes through the trouble to drive to a local store, only to find that the item they wanted is now priced unreasonably, and no way will they pay that, is that gouging ? At the very least, I would be upset that I wasted my time, gas, and energy on that trip. Does it matter what the word is that describes my anger ?

If I do an Ebay search, looking for 4 cavity 356402 molds, and I see two listings on used good condition molds, I momentarily am happy I have found some. Then my eyes move up to the opening bid of $90 or more, and I get upset. If the opening bid was $10, the final price would be well over $100 anyway. The seller setting that very high opening bid is hoping he can get a gouge price on that item. Is this gouging, or just upsetting because the seller is looking for a sucker ?

Some call it free enterprise, letting the price adjust itself according to market conditions. If there is a disturbance in an OPEC country today, tomorrow the gas prices in my town go up. This is for gas that has been in America for some time, and at a price per gallon that is profitable. So the price increase on this gas will show a fair profit, plus the gouging $$$ for the oil companies. Some do not call this price gouging; I do.

That is the way illegal drug dealing works...the supply is down, the stuff is hard to get, so the price has gone up... ad nauseum.

There may be a split here between those people who work for a weekly paycheck (yes it is gouging), and those who buy and sell goods and services directly, small businesses, self-employed, etc. (no it is just the free marketplace at work).

If all of us took full advantage of people whenever we had the chance, and it was fully legal to do so, who would do so ? How would you describe that person ? Nobody I want to associate with. This applies to all facets of life, consumer goods, social relationships, workplace issues, etc. There is such a thing as ethics, and that is one of the things that defines a person.

If every body simply stopped buying for a month or 2 in a coordinated way (99% demand / sales dried up), the stores and gun shows would be awash with cheap ammo. I think the gougers would loose their nerve and sell at fair price or less so the weren't left holding the baby.

I know that's not a realistic solution, but if it were possible it would in my view fix the problem.

Love Life
    gouging Use [gouj] Show IPA noun, verb, gouged, goug·ing.
    noun
    1. a chisel having a partly cylindrical blade with the bevel on either the concave or the convex side.
    2. an act of gouging.
    3. a groove or hole made by gouging.
    4. an act of extortion; swindle.
    5. Geology .
    a. a layer of decomposed rocks or minerals found along the walls of a vein.
    b. fragments of rock that have accumulated between or along the walls of a fault.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    gouging Use [gouj] Show IPA noun, verb, gouged, goug·ing.
    noun
    1. a chisel having a partly cylindrical blade with the bevel on either the concave or the convex side.
    2. an act of gouging.
    3. a groove or hole made by gouging.
    4. an act of extortion; swindle.
    5. Geology .
    a. a layer of decomposed rocks or minerals found along the walls of a vein.
    b. fragments of rock that have accumulated between or along the walls of a fault.
    None of those fit.

Love Life
    But wait!!! There is more...

verb (used with object)
    6. to scoop out or turn with or as if with a gouge: to gouge a channel; to gouge holes.
    7. to dig or force out with or as if with a gouge: to gouge out an eye.
    8. to make a gouge in: to gouge one's leg.
    9. to extort from, swindle, or overcharge.

So it appears as old trusty Dictionary.com considers gouging as overcharging. Who sets the price though? Has the government set official prices for 22lr ammo? Are any dealers listing above the government set price for 22lr?

In Remembrance
    Are you comparing service and prices of today ... or those in 1982?
    The price of Ma Bell remained about the same for several years (back then) but their service and repair charges began to spiral upward. If you needed your line checked for a problem they would do it promptly, but if the problem existed within the wiring in your home ... you were charged for the check and any repairs that were needed to get you back in service.

Installation of a new phone jack was no longer free, and none of those services was free from the competitors, either.

Yeah, monthly rates might ... might ... have gone lower, but they all started nickle and diming everybody to death. It took several years, but they eventually started charging money if you called Information to get a number.

Ma Bell single-handedly built the telephone network of America.
    Then, to satisfy whining, liberal, constituents, Congress took it from Bell and gave most of it away to those who never put a pole in the ground.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.