Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun for duck?

Boolit Master
    Not to add anything that hasn't been said before, but there is no real advantage to having a more expensive round that does not kill birds any deader any further than 2 3/4 or 3" shells. We shoot a pile of geese here, mostly pass shooting which generally is at the end of lethal range, and my 870 with 3" Hevi-metal shells will kill them just fine. The Hevi-metal shells are the only "trick" load I use, being half steel half Hevi-shot so they are around $20/25 which is still in budget. For decoyed geese or ducks I shoot 2 3/4" or sometimes 3" no 2 or BB Estate shells which run $9.99 a box here and will kill things dead as dead gets inside of 35 yards.
    There is nothing wrong with any of the shotguns you mention, I prefer 870 pumps because of the conditions we hunt in which can turn an autoloader into a single shot, but if it was also going to be your dove gun, I could see an auto being more ideal.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

I have used 12 ga 3.5" a lot and have recently switched to the 10 ga. People think the 10 ga is overkill, but when using steel shot, the 10 ga is really nice. I get much more shot on target and better kills using 3.5" #2 or BB. I found a used Itaca Mag 10 for $350. This gun is so heavy that the recoil is way less than my 870! Plus its a semi auto so the spring absorbs some of the recoil.

Its much cheaper to buy federal 10 ga steel shot in bulk than it is to buy Hevi-shot and in my experience the 10 ga has plenty of knock down on those big geese and mallards.

P.S. i wouldn't listen to the people telling you that 12 ga 3.5" is overkill, its not. Steel shot sucks, and the more power and shot you can get the better. The downside of the guns you mentioned is that they kick like a mule when used with 3.5" shells. This is where and auto loader or big heavy 10 ga is nice, because they absorb the recoil.
    Last edited by fish0123; 06-09-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Out of all the shotguns I shouldered the stoeger 3000 auto felt the best. It sucks gun shopping these days, the gun counter is so busy, I don't want to take much of everyone's time shouldering guns one at a time. Maybe I'll find a day it's really slow.

Banned
    it is not the gun you gotta concern yourself with. its being fast enough to keep the bead on them and get the lead there before they are gone. i cant duck hunt. im too slow. i like birds that float in the air almost motion less. a 410 will kill a duck. you just gotta be able to shoot.

Boolit Master
    What I like about the 10 is the lack of recoil in the larger framed semi-auto gun as opposed to the 3" or 3.5" 12 and the ammo associated with the lighter gun like the Super Black Eagle II.. I Can't shoot that thing to save my life.. I've been a Browning semi auto proponent since the Gold came out and like the 12 ga Maxus as well. For general duck hunting I swap around between my 20 ga 870 Wingmaster, Browning Gold or Maxus for the 12, and Browning Gold Hunter in 10. Kind of depends on what I'm going after.. the 10 is mainly for geese and depending on weather, the 12 or 20 for ducks. Generally use 2's or 3's at 1400-1550 fps for ducks from 7/8- 1 1/8 oz in the 12, or 3/4 oz in the 20.. or 1 1/4-1 3/8 of BB or BBB @ 1525 fps for geese, generally snows or specks.

I too like them floating in front of me, but reality is that ducks will present themselves at sometimes strange angles, and sometimes that's all you are going to get even if calling and decoys are being used. Anyone can shoot a duck out of the air 20 yards from you floating with feet down and wings locked.. and I like fooling them to commit like that, but a teal dive bombing the blind sometimes only gives you a 1/2 second to react and you might get them on a snap shot.. which the 12 and 20 I use allow me to do on occasion..

Boolit Master
    You need, by law, to use non-toxic, and steel needs bigger(longer)shell to be effective, and I find that recoil spoils the fun with a pumpgun, I'd save my cash and buy a semi.

Boolit Master
    My advice is to shoot as many as you can and at least pick up or handle any you are thinking about.I have water fowled with many guns , my personal choice is the same I would use for any wing shooting.A Winchester model 12 , in this case my heavy duck with a solid rib.
    When steel shot became mandatory I had to give up my model 12. I turkey hunt as well so I thought that I needed a 3 1/2".I have owned 3 Mossberg 835's , and they worked but each time I sold one I swore never again.I then tried the Browning BPS 10 , I liked the way it shouldered but never cared for the weight.Then I thought that I needed an auto , so I bought the Browning Gold 10.I used it for one season in a goose pit and it shot well but it wasn't for me.I sold it and bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle in 1997 and have never looked back.It is not the only shotgun I hunt with but if I could only have one , this would be it.
    Good luck on your decision and I hope you find your shotgun.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Remington 870 supermag in camo for 350. I figured I try it this season and see how it goes. Do some dove and duck. Eventually I think an auto might be in my future. I can work the action prrtty quick and manuever. This 870 shoulders nice has camo already and handles 3.5 if needed. I don't see myself using 3.5 too often. But hey in a couple weeks I might find myself with a stoeger as well. Time will tell

Moderator Emeritus

I had a Browning BPS in 3-1/2" ... was used and very reasonable.....ejects through the bottom as well as loads....great gun.....