Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois NEW CCW laws

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

Illinois NEW CCW laws

I just started reading the many questions concerning the restoration of our 2A RIGHTS.

TODD asked everyone to allow him a few days rest after getting everyone in Illinois this far.

I would like to send him and his family on an all expense paid trip around the world BUT since Girty does NOT pass golden nuggets that is not going to happen.

Todd said he will address the many questions folks have at that time.

If all of the INTERESTED folks have not already joined ILLINOIS CARRY there is no better time than now.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?

Our fight is not over by a long shot so keep current as things progress.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Okay, Bill...I give up. Followed the link (http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?) to the website for the third or fourth time but still can't find any information as to where (or how) to sign on as a member of the forum. Went to the 'sign up' page and all that apparently does is put me on their e-mail list.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure when you tried. The site had overload problems obviously after all of this. Even I could not send a P M to another member.

I just tried

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?act=idx a second ago and got right thru. Yes I had signed off so I would look like a noobe.

On the upper right side it reads CREATE AN ACCOUNT Then will ask further info.

If you still have problems send me a P M and I will try to help.

Remember that many of the REAL movers and shakers there are taking a well deserved couple of days off.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

For those of us that drive through Illinois from time to time, this appears to be the most
    relevant portion.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within
    his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and
    the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked
    vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Section 65 subsection b) says:

(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under
    paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying
    a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in
    subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a
    concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking
    area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked
    vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area.
    A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his
    or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of
    storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee
    ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes
    of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely
    encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm
    carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

My read (NOT a lawyer) is that a non-Illinois resident that is legally able to own a handgun
    and is approved to carry in public in his own state (CCW or from a Constitutional Carry state)
    can have the gun "within his vehicle" and only need to lock it up in case of exiting the vehicle.
    It specifically states that a locked glove box or console or the trunk is OK and that moving
    it unloaded to and from the trunk is OK. No gotchas there. Sounds pretty workable.

The remaining question is can I have the gun on my person and loaded while in the car or
    not, and if not on my person, can it be loaded in an unlocked console while I am in the
    car? The "within the vehicle" seems to permit either one - with the lack of clarity on
    loaded vs unloaded, however.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Bill I will tell you the same as other curious members. The durned thing ain't been signed yet and none of the legal eagles have had any time to do a good study and check to make sure every T has been crossed.

Our N R A rep has asked us to give him a couple of well deserved rest days then we can get answers that can be carved in stone. In Illinois anything can and some times does happen JUST BEFORE THE INK COMPLETELY DRIES.

I am sorry I will not answer questions YET but I definitely do not want to give out GUESTIMATES from a crystal ball.

I hope you and many others understand.

Yes I am starting to turn into a CRANKY OLD MAN from reading complaints because someone did not get all of their wishes granted. We WILL HAVE OUR OWN ccw LAW ON THE BOOKS SHORTLY.

Now it is entirely up to the winers and others that are not happy to step up and make our CCW the envy of the other 49 or is it 57 states.

Boolit Master
    BWB its your law. Residents in other state can go away. Mt gun has a legimate question but it will take time to answer. People in other states do what you did before the law was passed. Either that or avoid the state until after everyone has figured out the various sublties of the law and how it is being enforced. Remember this is an Illinois law , you don't like it don't go to Illinois.
    Last edited by Duckiller; 06-02-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Grand Master

ZERO complaints, and I know that Ill is famous for intrigue. Just reading the words as
    they are currently written.

There is also interpretation and the regulations. I helped write some of the regs for KS
    and know that this process can change a LOT of details. I had to fight like HECK to keep
    our FRIENDS (they said they were) on the regulation subcommittees from making the
    law a bunch worse. Got into some serious squabbles and some of our "friends" turned
    out to be looking to line their own pockets at the expense of shooters.Be sure you watch
    out for this. I was VERY surprised.

I won't talk to at least one person after that mess, but in the end we got pretty good
    regs and have fixed them even more since.

THE KEY POINT --- Every state that has gotten CCW has been able to go back
    and make things more eqitable and reasonable afterwards, it seems that the fight
    is considered totally lost by the gun haters once CCW is in place for a while and the
    later regulation and law improvements are usually much easier. People stop freaking out
    and start acting a lot more normal once the laws have been in place for a while an
    nothing bad has happened. Even some of the chiefs of police that were dead set
    against it will come around, you will see. Certainly not all, but some substantial
    part of your opposition is honest, well-meaning folks that are just absolutely certain
    that CCW will cause huge mayhem and blood in the streets. When it doesn't happen
    they are AMAZED and either back down and never worry about it again, or start
    working to make it more sensible and reasonable of a law.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    BWB its your law. Residents in other state can go away. Mt gun has a legimate question but it will take time to answer. People in other states do what you did before the law was passed. Either that or avoid the state until after everyone has figured out the various sublties of the law and how it is being enforced. Remember this is an Illinois law , you don't like it don't go to Illinois.
    Well it would seem likely that Bill and I may have a problem not going there as we live in neighboring states.
    This leads to the very high likelyhood of being very difficult to head east without going there, albeit possible but very cumbersome.
    Also I do have many friends in the flatland and would like to visit them on ocassion.
    They also have a nice rifle range in Milan.

I do have an aunt in the peoples republic of California I should visit but I don't care for many of the things that go on there either, but I should still visit her!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Good for you guys!!!
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master

Congratulations! And now on to the second part of the fight! You have to see that all the good thing you have in the bill are not lost in its interpretation by the various agencies that will finalize it. This is just as important as getting it passed.

But remember, good or bad, perfect or not, it is a place to start and it can always be improved later!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...carry-law-guns

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has filed a request with a federal appeals court asking for an additional 30 days to put in place a law that would allow citizens to carry guns in public.

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals gave the state until June 9 to come up with concealed carry rules when it struck down Illinois’ longtime ban in December. Last week, lawmakers passed a measure setting out who could carry guns and where, but Madigan argues Gov. Pat Quinn should have more time to review the legislation before deciding whether to sign it into law.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance
    All I know is that I'm proud as can be of my brethren in Illinois who refused to give up and who continue to fight for the Constitution and the rights therein. I look forward to this law passing, and although as Bill (Mt.Gun44) noted, it might not be to everyone's liking AT FIRST (give it time and with each legislature the law can be loosened up and relaxed based upon empirical evidence and statistics that the Land of Lincoln has NOT turned into the "wild west"), it is far better than many other states whose laws regarding guns are actually moving backwards.

Colorado, California, Connecticut and New York come immediately to mind.

I'm also joining the Illinois State Rifle Association even though I am a Texas resident. I figure it's more than worth the $25 to show solidarity and support in the early days of the state's concealed carry law.

I would urge others--especially those of you who either travel through Illinois or who live in bordering states--to also join ISRA for a couple of years. Remember: politicians understand numbers, and the more numbers we have as gun-owners, the better our prospects for safeguarding our rights.

George, GOOD job to you and everyone up there who refused to give up.

Boolit Master

Last edited by DCP; 06-05-2013 at 09:35 AM.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance
    A Missouri newspaper thinks that it might be a year before people in Illinois can carry concealed.
    http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/06/0.../?subscriber=1
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Recluse After spending countless hours on the phone with the Illinois State Rifle Assn I finally convinced them to allow "Ill-Tempered Texans" to join in our fight.

We are not sure yet where we are going before CCW becomes the law. We could STILL have to go to SCOTUS before this is ironed out.

IF we have to go there and we win the victory COULD be a big win for EVERY state with a MAY ISSUE law so watch what happens here in Illinois.

I have no idea where or how all of the court costs are paid but I am sure memberships and donations make up a big part of it.

If anyone wants to help out just go here.

http://www.isra.org/join/

Or you can call 1-815-635-3166 and one of the lovely young ladies there will be glad to help you.

As of 10 minutes ago I was told that "the lawyers are still reviewing EVERYTHING concerning our CCW so PLEASE do not comment till you hear from us". "the Illinois State Rifle Assn"

That being said I hope many folks here understand why I am hiding away in an undisclosed location.

Boolit Buddy
    What new Illinois CCW laws? Is this a "trick thread"?

Best of luck to you.. but I'd not put a large amount of money on a bet. Once Cook County's population exceeded the rest of the state combined, it was all over for you. Sad. In some ways I miss my native state.. but I'll never move back.

And I was about to plan on driving across the Mississippi with a loaded .45 ACP in the glove box just to do it (legally). Probably never be able to. What you people will put up with in your politicians... bogus and sad really...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w0fms View Post
    What new Illinois CCW laws? Is this a "trick thread"?

Best of luck to you.. but I'd not put a large amount of money on a bet. Once Cook County's population exceeded the rest of the state combined, it was all over for you. Sad. In some ways I miss my native state.. but I'll never move back.

And I was about to plan on driving across the Mississippi with a loaded .45 ACP in the glove box just to do it (legally). Probably never be able to. What you people will put up with in your politicians... bogus and sad really...
    Tell me about it.
    I plan on moving to FL. in a year and 1/2 and there will still probably be no permits issued by then.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You know, come to think of it, I am a little surprised that Texas allows Utah to outdo them in the area of Non-Resident Carry.

Be kind of neat if Texas would be the first to commit to reciprocity.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S MESSAGE ISRA

As you know last Friday, after years of work the Illinois House and Senate had passed HB0183 with an overwhelming vote. It is the first concealed carry bill to ever pass the Illinois General Assembly. The votes in both Houses surpassed the Super Majority requirement by a wide margin. Even though the bill had passed both houses the June 8th date still existed. Tuesday, Attorney General Lisa Madigan filed and received a 30 day extension on the June 8th date. Now we are at a July 8th date.

The Governor received HB0183 today. There are four things that can happen.

1. The Governor can sign the bill.

2. The Governor can take no action and in 60 days the bill becomes law but that would push us passed the July 8th day. It is conceivable the court could grant another extension.

3. The Governor could veto the bill.

4. The Governor could use an Amendatory Veto (AV). Number 3 and 4 would mean it would be October 22nd before an override of the Governor's veto could happen.

There are a variety of things that can happen in the coming days and months. What ever happens I assure you the ISRA will do all it can on your behalf. I'm sure we will have many alerts before this is all over so please keep checking your emails.

I told everyone we are going to have our resolve tested and tested again. We will never quit fighting and we will never give up. The Second Amendment is here to stay in Illinois.

Thanks for being a member.

Richard Pearson
    ISRA Executive Director

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER