Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Replcement for my Glock??? Maybe 1911 .40 or 10mm jwords?

Boolit Buddy

Replcement for my Glock??? Maybe 1911 .40 or 10mm jwords?

Many years ago I used to shoot IDPA for a few months. I started with my Kimber Compact .45, and switched to a Ruger in .40. I got "hammer bite" bad by the Ruger and traded it for a Glock .40 full size (probably Gen 1). I found out about the K-booms later. I didn't reload for .40 then so I wasn't worried about the unsupported chamber. I have since started reloading for .40, but saving them for a different gun.

I now have 2 1911 .45's and would love a 1911 in .40. However, doing a little research I've read that the 1911 doesn't like the .40 and there are feed problems.

Some of the threads I researched recommended the 10mm in 1911 instead of the .40. Seems that the slightly longer bullet feeds better. Any one here shot j-words in a 1911 .40 or 10mm?

thanks,
    CC

Boolit Master
    Just get a Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock and don't look back. Cut rifling will jive with lead much better and no more unsupported chamber.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    Look into STI from Texas. They make the STI Edge 2011 in 40. Sweet gun feeds great. Get you wallet ready though.

I shoot an STI Trojan (about half the price of an Edge which is a double stack) and find it handles the 175 gr. cast Lee well. I had some problems getting the OAL right as the STI guns seem to have tight chambers for j-word bullets and the .401 dia. lead has to be set back almost to the shoulder of the boolet.

Boolit Buddy

I reload my Glock 22 with lead boolits I cast and from spent rounds from the Glock.
    To me it's all a bunch of bull sh@t just inspect your emptys as you reload and you will be fine

Boolit Grand Master

I have a colt delta elite ( one of the early ones) in 10mm. It feeds function and perfoms very well all the way around. I normally shoot plated 180 thru mine. But hard cast work very well also. The only draw back to this combination is the added recoil over the 40 S&W. Keep in mind the 40 started out a 10 lite for federal agencies after the full power 10mm proved to be hard to qualify with. In the 1911 platform ( at least mine) is a double recoil spring set up. You could load the 10 mm to approxomate 40 S&W performance but you might have to find a lighter spring set for it. Wolff Springs are a good source, call them and see what they recomend. I believe kimber, Pars ordanance, Rock river,Colt all are making or offered this combination. I am happy with mine but its diffrent recoil impulse and somewhat heavier than 45. The 1911 platform was desighned around the overall length of the 38 super 45 acp rounds 10mm is in that same length range. 38 super is also a great choice for competition, accurate and lighter recoil. I have a bullseye gun 1911 in 38 special wadcutters only. Shoots like a dream. Look around handle and if possible try some out.

Love Life
    Colt Delta Elite.

The end.

Boolit Master
    I run a Glock 22 with an aftermarket barrel in it and get great results with lead. At least 5K rounds in the last 18 months. Also, in USPSA action shooting the popular gun in limited and open classes tend to be 1911 or 2011 types with double stack and large mags. These guns canbe found that shoot quite fast and relaible. Of course they cost a kings ransom.
    The glock aftermarket barrel only costs between $100 and $160.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll keep the aftermarket barrels in mind. In all honesty though I'm really not a Glock fan. It was an improvement over the Ruger, because it didn't cause the hammer bite. I've just never cared for the long trigger pull. Maybe I can take it the next gun show and find someone interested in buying it, the LGS only want to offer $200-250 for trade in.

thanks,
    CC