Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Accuracy

Glock Accuracy

What sort of accuracy should be expected from a 9mm Glock? My wife bought a Model 19, and shoots it pretty well on plates and that sort of thing, but has not done well with it on more demanding stuff like IHMSA field pistol. I put up some handloads using 125 grain .357 hollowpoints, and shot some groups with those and with several factory loads using 115 gr. ball. I was shocked at the results: in ten-shot groups at 25 yards, five or six shots would group in 3 or 4 inches, but the rest would be all over - or even off - the paper. Under identical conditions my S&W model 19 will group under 2", my untuned 1911s around 3", and my bullseye guns under 2". I realize that I'm comparing apples and oranges with those guns, but my first impression of my new M&P .45 is that I can do better offhand with it than I can over bags with the Glock, and the triggers are similar in nature.

Love Life
    Get you a lighter trigger and a thinner front sight blade. Doing that worked wonders for my wife's Glock 17.

Vendor Sponsor

I had a nice desertation on here until I hit the wrong button on this GD keyboard and dumped it so this is the short version.

Glocks are 2-3" pistols at 25 yards. That's 4-6" at 50 yards and it only gest worse.

If you are really looking for auto pistol accuracy I have seen high end 1911's that were 1" guns at 50 yards, and this is not uncommon, and neither is the price.

Glocks are what they are and for what they are intended for I don't think there is much better.

If she uses the gun for IDPA and things like that she'll do fine. If she wants to shoot disciplines where accuracy is more of a factor then it's time to look for a 1911.

Since she would already be very familiar with running the Glock she would just have to adapt to the safety feature on the 1911 which should be a smooth transition.

Glocks are the easiest pistol to learn Pistolcraft with. You can only do three things to a Glock, Insert mag, rack slide, and pull trigger. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

That's the beauty of the Glock system.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

^ What he said. Glocks are functional, not tack drivers.
    This article from Handguns Magazine entitled "Long Shot" is very interesting and gives some real world information
    http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/2...g_shot_022305/

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!
    Food for thought: I run a BarSto 357Sig barrel in my G35 now, because the accuracy in my hands from a braced sitting position, is about half the size of the stock 40S&W barrel. Using Winchester & Speer hollowpoints in 125 gr vs 180 gr. And recoil is very different as well.

I don't know why, but it is what it is. Just FYI.

And yes, S&W 357 M19's & M686's "usually" shoot quite a bit better for me than the "standard production" autoloaders I've shot over the years. Over the years, I've heard lots of other folks say the same thing that you're posting about this.

FWIW
    Last edited by Poohgyrr; 05-25-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Remember the trigger is the only safety so if you are using it as a carry gun ,you may not want to lighten the trigger pull.My son is a Glock fan .They are great tools for what they were designed for, but so far I haven't seen any thrilling accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Bought my wife a glock17. Shoots pretty good, better than my 92 with cast. And yes, I've shot cast in the Glock barrel. I have a 4.5# trigger on my Glock 10mm. Love it. That thing can punch holes all day long with some seriously stout loads. Trigger job is very easy and simple on glocks. I believe there were some defective trigger bars, there wasn't a recall but a local pd changed all there's out because of light primer strikes. The new part has a - 1 at the end I believe.

Boolit Master
    I tried to get over the Glock dislike I had, and bought one for myself to see if they were as good as I have been told. Well, I had a Glock 22 break a slide stop, and jam the gun to a stop, and the accuracy was as bad as the Ruger 40 cal I had in the early 90's. I tried to like it, but it just wouldn't let me. My 1911 may need to be cleaned and oiled after every session, but I know I will hit my mark right off the bat, and I wont need the extra capacity the Glock has. There is a reason police have a low hit rate with their sidearm these days, and it does not have everything to do with their experience. Now if they would just make a 1911 that was as light as a Glock I would be in heaven.

Boolit Master
    I hear you on that one. I have to usually warm up my gloves before I'm on site. My 1911s takes a round or two

Banned

with load developement and cast bullets i can get my glocks under 2 inch at 25 yards. My 20 will shoot close to an inch.

Boolit Bub
    401175tc bullets at 1000fps 2" or better at 25 yards paper plates at 100 if I guess right. 2.5lb trigger lonewolf barrel. I'm just used to it.
    Looking for more ways to shoot more bullets.

Boolit Bub
    WWB ammo shoot all over the place. It might have just been the thousand I got at one time but those were the bullets that made me buy a Dillion, lee pot and a mold. I almost sent my gun back to glock and it was just ammo. Cheap fed champion shoots awesome. My glock 19 was more accurate than I could shoot it.
    Looking for more ways to shoot more bullets.

Boolit Master
    I shot my sons Gen 4 Glock 21 today and was very impressed with this gun.It is the best Glock I have shot so far.I got some good groups with it and his Glock 19C.I like the double round coil springs in the Gen4. Very nice gun. I am a 1911 guy so it is a big difference.

Glocks are what they are. They are serious social handguns to save your skin from predatory human beings. They are excellent tools for doing that very thing. Don't expect or require them to do anything else and you will understand why they are so popular among folks with those needs.

I have a Gen 3 17 and Gen 3 19 and I keep them close at hand. They are located within a foot or two of my Uzi carbine. I live just three miles from the Rio Grande river and hip and thigh with the Mexican Cartels. That is why I have these things.

I also have a nice supply of fine accurate weapons that I keep and shoot for enjoyment.

I don't confuse these two very different types of firearms and their purposes. To do so would be like wondering why my Ford F150 pickup won't drive and handle like my wife's 5 series BMW.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I can't believe I'm saying this but what LL said...
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Buddy

i guess i've shot better glocks then most of you guys have seen. LOL trigger jobs do help
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yea and I saw a trigger spring / spring steel portion that looked like it had been...well shaved down. Has anyone tried this?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Buddy
    My Wife has a bone stock Gen 2 G19 (all black internals, non drop-free mags) that can ding a 9" skillet at 60 yards offhand all day long...

I have no other experience with anything else Glock, so my mileage definitely varies...

Before you start modifying your glock, try practicing with it some more. As stated, they are meant to be used in self defense situations, most of which are inside of ten yards. I shoot my glock 30 a lot, and have found that it is far more accurate than I am.

I love my G36 because it shoots well out to 25 yds, has tritium sights, and wears well in an IWB Don Hume holster. Glocks are functional duty and CC weapons. They are not sniper rifles. Royal Arms in Ontario CA has a great aftermarket trigger, CNC aluminum and it gets rid of that plastic feeling creep and the reset is better too. Mine took a couple boxes of ammo to fully break in, but I am happy with it now. In a defensive situation, critical accuracy at over 25 yards is rarely needed...
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."