Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Good 308 Bullet for 30-30

Boolit Bub

Good 308 Bullet for 30-30

What is a good general purpose bullet for the 30-30 in Jacketed and lead?
    I see there are 110 gr or 150 gr jackets available.

Boolit Buddy
    Your rifle, game, and terrain will dictate the proper bullet, I shoot a Marlin 336 in 30-30 so I only use flat nose or flex tip jacketed bullets, tubular magazine. I hunt Pa, white tail Deer, which are somewhat, thinned shinned, however I did use the 170 grain core lok jacketed bullet, most of my shots are 40 to 60 yards. My last three Deer were taken with 170 grain Lead bullets cast from a Lyman mold. If my shots were over 100 yard with the 3030 I would use the 150 grain jacketed, or a flex tip bullet. Most any bullet will drop a Deer, the trick is to do it as soon and humainly as possible.

Boolit Master
    I have good luck with the Lee 309-150-F in 30-30, 308 and 30-06. The Lee 309-113-F will shoot MOA at 100 yds in my H&R 30-30.

Banned

the hornady 150gr interlock at about 2700 is about as general purpose as you can get.
    the rcbs 30-150 fngc at around 1900 fps is also about as general as you can get on the cast side.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Run--2700 fps from a 30-30 150 Frn? I've only seen 2350 fps with factory Remingtom "Mart" ammo.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the hornady 150gr interlock at about 2700 is about as general purpose as you can get.
    the rcbs 30-150 fngc at around 1900 fps is also about as general as you can get on the cast side.
    It has the plastic insert in the tip safe to shoot in a 30-30 lever action?

Joe

Banned

2 at a time if they will feed.
    you ain't gonna get 2700 from a 30-30 but you can get near 2400 with either jaxketed or the rcbs cast boolit.
    so buying store bought bullets is a non win in the 30-30.
    and the 150 will feed as many as you care to load.

Boolit Bub
    I have used a 30/30 to bag countless deer In Michigan many at 225 yards shooting down a hill from what used to be my favorite stand before the feds cut the woods all down and ruined the area, My bullet of choice is and always has been a 170 now those shots were remington core loct and the 30/30 blows right thru them , neck shoulders it dont matter, have not used cast yet but have a 170 fn mold and I plan to use it for deer hunting this year...i use a marlin 336 cs with the see thru sites/scope, now I cannot say if deer here are thick or thin skinned but the avg deer i shoot in my area goes 165 pounds dressed and I try to shoot nothing bigger than a 6 point and prefer spikes and 4 point i am a meat hunter and have not figured out how to eat antlers yet except as a soup....
    its not the bigger gun that wins its the person whom hits with the better bullet....