MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Best Powders for Many Applications

Boolit Grand Master

2 Best Powders for Many Applications

I've looked.through several threads on powders and posted a few of my own asking questions about differnt ones but thought I would try this one.

With powder somewhat hard to find, at least specific powder we are looking for, we often are teying out new ones when found. I ran across some Promo and bought 8lbs for $90 and have had good results in 9mm, 45acp, 357mag, 44mag and 45lc. Not the greatest nor most powerful but acceptable. For higher end loads i've always been a believer in H110 but ended up with 2 lbs of 2400. I'm not hunting buffalo so it should work fine in my 45lc under 250-270gr boolits.

My question is what would be your 2 favorite powders for the calibers I mentioned in std + mag loads for general use?

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye and 2400.

30 cal = IMR4895
    45 cal = Reloader 7

that covers everything I own
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I use Unique in low pressure loads (works well in 9MM 38 and 44 mag, do not load any 45's so not sure) and either 296 or 2400 for the heavy magnum loads that are needed in my Desert Eagle.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    For handguns it would be hard to beat Unique and 2400.

A couple of years ago I bought 4# canisters of Ramshot True Blue and Alliant Power Pistol. I shot up my Power Pistol and for 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP I'm standardizing on the True Blue. It's very clean burning, gives good accuracy and velocity. In my Dillon presses, a double charge is quite obvious and metering is extremely smooth and precise.

For the magnum calibers I still like 2400 for full power and True Blue for lower power. No 357 Magnum low power load with True Blue yet but it's coming. Same for 38 Special.

For the 10mm I favor AA#9 for full house and True Blue for lower power.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 05-15-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Herco (a bit slower burning than Unique) and 2400 are good ones. I prefer Herco over Unique due to the slower burn rate and it giving similar velocities at lower pressures. I agree H110 for the upper end loads but AA#9 and Enforcer/AA4100 are good ones too for the mid to upper end.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    9mm & .357 definitely PowerPistol, love the loud report and flaming muzzle... Also agree on needing faster powder for the .45acp. I really like Vihtavuori N340 for .45acp but its way too slow and leaves a lot of unburned powder. Going to move up to N320 to resolve that. .38 special & .40 S&W work with just about any powder I have tried
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Winchester 231 and 296

Allient Unique and 2400

Boolit Grand Master
    The three powders I keep on hand for handgun calibers are Bullseye, Unique and WC 820, the milsurp equivalent of AA9. The burn speed of 820 is right next to 2400, so with some fine tuned adjustments, I can use 820 when the data calls for 2400 or AA9.

If limited to 2 they would be Bullseye and Unique. If I could add a third for top end 357 and 44 Magnum loads it would be 2400. In fact they are the only three powders I keep and use for handgun (and most rifle cast bullet) loads. I buy in bulk and keep a 10-15 year supply so I won't get caught with my pants down by politics and current events.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 powders that I always keep on hand. Bullseye Unique and 2400. Those 3 will let me load any cartridge with cast that I might ever want to load for.Maybe not the best load but one of the three will let me keep shooting when I can't find the powder of choice for a particular cartridge........Terry

Boolit Master

I use Red Dot(same as Promo) and 2400 to load the calibers you listed. 6.5 grains under a 250 grain boolit in 45LC is a GREAT all around load. 18.5 grains of 2400 under the same boolit is a terrific hunting load.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy

700X and H335 are my choices if I could only have 2, 700X works in about all pistol loads and works in my 12 gauge. H335 works in every rifle load that I use. Both will work with cast and jacketed bullets.
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Longshot for semiautos, also workable in magnum revolvers: outstanding in 10mm/40SW/357Sig, serviceable in 9mm and 45acp, functional in 357 Mag and 44 Mag

for Rifle it would be Varget for the calibers i shoot: 223, 243, 308

Boolit Grand Master
    For the calibers mentioned I can get by with Winchester 231 and Alliant 2400.

For rifles, it is a different story.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If I was limited to two powders unique and 4895. One would be hard pressed to find any caliber that one or both of these didn't work in. Not saying the best but have always been fairly accurate in any cartridge I have tried them in. If I don't have 8 pounds of each on hand I feel kinda naked.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    My question is what would be your 2 favorite powders for the calibers I mentioned in std + mag loads for general use?
    4198 and 4895. If I am loading lead, EVERYTHING I load and shoot uses these two powders. Rifle or pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    If I was limited to two powders unique and 4895. One would be hard pressed to find any caliber that one or both of these didn't work in. Not saying the best but have always been fairly accurate in any cartridge I have tried them in. If I don't have 8 pounds of each on hand I feel kinda naked.
    Jeff
    Never thought of it that way but I'll have to agree with your choice of powders and as you pointed out I'm feeling kind of naked.
    I reload about a dozen calibers and those two powders could fit the bill on them all. Now if only they were available. Good tip thanks.

Banned

one that's not too fast and one that is not too slow.
    I alwys have red-dot, unique, and 2400 on hand.
    for rifles I have aa-2230, imr 4895, and rl-19.
    those are my bulk quantity powders.

others like clays,700-x, titegroup, or 231.
    green dot, universal, herco.
    aa#9, steel, or 800-x would fill in the same roles.
    and for some specialty applications or where they are shown as needed I will get a pound or two for a specific application.
    I actually have all the above but aa#9 and green dot on hand.