Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .40 S&W cast bullets

Quote Originally Posted by nvald1982 View Post
    glock are no good with cast must change barrel out to KKM percision
    Wish I'd new that in 1991. Tens of thousands of cast boolits through my various Glock barrels and I just never knew I was slowly executing myself. Glad I gots the intereweebs and got edumicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcadavona View Post
    .4015 in a lee push through
    Did your Lee die come that diameter or did you open it a bit? Just curious, I was thinking about opening mine but haven't done it since the as-built size works well.

Moderator Emeritus

Not an M&P but I shoot that bullet with no issues in a Smith and Walther 999.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    the sigma shoots them fine , 50/50 wheel weights and soft lead , it slugged 402 , the mold drops .403-.404 , i tumble lube them and load as dropped they swage down to about .402 , any bigger and they don't want to chamber.

if i fire a 100 -200 then run a brush with chore boy it comes out easily so good enough 5 minutes cleaning is worth a the significant savings in ammo

6.3 gr power pistol pushes them to what feels like factory , and shoots to the sights

4.5 makes for a load that is very tame , the wife likes those

I personally don't own a 40 but I do load these boolits for friends. I used 4.1gr of Titegroup @ 1.12" OAL and my friends Sig P226 was tack driving them at about 10 yards.

Boolit Buddy

Hi all, have the same lee mold. Anybody have data shooting it thru Ruger SR40? I plan on using Win 231.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector_17 View Post
    Hi all, have the same lee mold. Anybody have data shooting it thru Ruger SR40? I plan on using Win 231.
    I have and have had a number of 40 S&W pistols, and most will begin to run reliably with the Lee 175 T/C (conventional lube groove version) at 1.135" OAL and 4.2 grains of WW-231. I use 4.8 grains to duplicate my carry/service load, the W-W SXT 180 grainer that runs about 925-950 FPS from 4"-4.5" barrels. I use an aftermarket/lead-friendly barrel in my Glock 40s, which may not be necessary but I do anyway.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

thanks for the info.

Boolit Mold
    The slide on my M&P 40 full size cracked last year at more than 50,000 rounds through it. S&W repaired the pistol for free. Most of the bullets were hard cast 180 gr TC at 915 fps. A couple months ago I replaced the barrel because I was seeing reduced accuracy. The new barrel has much deaper rifling and no erosion. On comparing the 2 barrels I see why the accuracy recently declined. I once fired 5,000 rounds through the M&P 40 FS without cleaning and with no malfunctions. I trust this pistol to always work.

I bought a M&P 40c last fall. It likes these same cast bullets for practice. I do want to stress these are "hard" cast bullets at 17 brinell hardness. I know a couple people that shoot these same bullets through poygonal barrels without problem, I don't have the guts to do it myself. S&W M&P 40 barrels are "not" polygonal rifled.