WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee sizer cleaning

Boolit Buddy

Lee sizer cleaning

I noticed the other day I was leading my barrel on my glock that had never leaded before. Got to checking my bullets and found them undersized. Checked my sizer and it was crudded up really bad. Had run several thousand thru and never cleaned it. My question is what do ya'll use to clean your sizers? Regular gun solvents or something else?

Banned

I have never had one do that.
    but if I did, I would clean it like a gun barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quigley View Post
    Checked my sizer and it was crudded up really bad. Had run several thousand thru and never cleaned it.
    Sounds as if you've been running boolits with no lube on them through your sizer. I haven't had an issue with my LEE sizing dies.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy

Can't suggest how to clean it but will suggest after cleaning to polish the inside with some 600 grit paper. The sicker it is, the less it will lead.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

I use Dawn dishwashing soap as sizing lube in my LEE type dies.

Boolit Buddy
    All my bullets are lubed when put thru the dies. Matter of fact the top of the die was caked with lube. May try the rolled up sand paper because my .452's are coming out .4515

Boolit Master

All I have had to clean on my Lee sizer is the Alox and just use a mop with mineral spirits.

Boolit Grand Master

Sum Ding Wong! To have previously good bullets start leading because of a dirty die don't sound right. The diameter would have to be reduced a few thousandths of an inch and I'm sure you would notice the difference when running a bullet through the die. Look inside the die. Is the lube clogged on the sides? Is there leading inside the die?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance

I bought a Lee die off the net that was severely leaded. Not only under sizing, but rough. Probably sized boolits without lube. Haven't had any other such problems. I cleaned it using emery cloth and went ahead and increased the dia. as I wanted while doing it. Finished polishing with crocus cloth.

Boolit Grand Master

I also wanted my lee push thrus larger so polished them starting with 600 thru 1000 then simichrome metal polish on a tight patch. The trick is to make the sandpaper/ pach long so it never leaves the working surface then run it slow so the polish marks "cross over" each other. Think of oil grooves in a bushing. This allows for a much smoother finish and better polish. I would work with one grit dry then oil with break free and wet polish then next grit dry and wet to 1000 grit then simichrome polish. Inside of my dies apear as mirrors in my bore scope. It is also better if you can spin the die and hold the mandrell. Keeps from egg shaping the hole or making it run out. I took one out from .358 to .379 for my 38-55.