Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 224 40 grain soft points from 22 Shorts

Boolit Master

224 40 grain soft points from 22 Shorts

Here are some bullets I made up for a member here out of 22 shorts brass. They are 40 grains and were finished with my lead tip die. A little too much citric acid caused these to go all copper colored.

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Too much citric acid or not, I am still impressed. They look great. How do they shoot?
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Master
    Look slick man!

Boolit Master

Are you willing take orders?

Boolit Master
    Yeah speaking of orders are you not required to have an FFL if you are selling them?

Boolit Master

Bzcraig, I tell you what. If the guy I made these for doesn't want them, they are yours. If he does, then you send me the components, 22 short brass and lead, and I'll make you up some.

I don't have a twist on any of my barrels that would shoot a 40gn bullets. If you get them, maybe you could do a range report.

This is the first bullets I have ever made from 22 short brass.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Those are down right pretty. Great job.

Boolit Master

Hornet food.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Lizard33
    I would like to try some too. Are you using pure lead for the cores? Now to find the 22 short brass. Anyone have a few they want to part with? I'd pay the shipping if you have them and want to send them to Lizard33 if he is willing to make me some. They are pretty little boolits. Nope boolits is lead. How about bulitz or boolitz ?

Boolit Master

That's the problem. Where to get 22 short brass. I had a small handful, that's we're these came from. Other issue is my jacket trimmer won't even trim regular 22LR brass down to the .500 length that I need to duplicate this round. My trimmer will only trim brass down to .600.

Btw, I am using dead soft lead for my cores. The jackets weigh in at 7.4 gns, give or take a tenth.

Benjamin Franklin

Lizard,

I'm curious about your 22brass trimmer. Would you mind posting a pic? Is it different from a pinch trim die?

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chop saw fixture.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	69215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chop saw fixture.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	69215

Here's what I do to trim LR brass to make shorts

Boolit Master
    Are you using the saw blade provided or a fiber cut off wheel?

Boolit Master
    What is the olgive radius on these bullets?

Boolit Master

I'm using a pinch trim die from RCE. It's a two step process. I first expand the brass, then in the next step I pinch trim. I'll get some pics tonight.

The ogive on these bullets are 6S.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Bullshop, saw blade provided

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Bzcraig, I tell you what. If the guy I made these for doesn't want them, they are yours. If he does, then you send me the components, 22 short brass and lead, and I'll make you up some.

I don't have a twist on any of my barrels that would shoot a 40gn bullets. If you get them, maybe you could do a range report.

This is the first bullets I have ever made from 22 short brass.
    My question was not specifically for those bullets as my 1:9 won't shoot that light of a bullet but you sure made some purdy bullets and 223 are hard to come by. Do you make any fmj 223 rounds you'd be willing to part with?

Boolit Master
    As a side note, since I've seen a few comments about the faster twist. A 1 in 9 will shoot a 40gr bullet just fine, mine loves them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    As a side note, since I've seen a few comments about the faster twist. A 1 in 9 will shoot a 40gr bullet just fine, mine loves them.
    How fast have you pushed them? I haven't tried anything that light based on everything I had read.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    How fast have you pushed them? I haven't tried anything that light based on everything I had read.
    Up to around 3700 fps in my 223 Rem. 1 in 9 twist 26" barrel. They were 40gr Hornady VMax and 40 gr Nosler BT. They are a little over stabilized but you can't tell that from the groups. A fast twist is required to shoot a longer bullet, but they will usually shoot the shorter bullets quite well.