10 8.77%
  • 452--228-1R

13 11.40%
  • 452-230-TC

44 38.60%
  • Given the choices, a Hornady XTP.

3 2.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred 45ACP boolit from a lee 6 banger.

Preferred 45ACP boolit from a lee 6 banger.

I am going to switch from tumble lube to traditional and was wondering what your favorite is. I will likely use it both tumble lubed and through a lubrisizer. The boolit will be shot through an XD45.

Thanks for participating.
    Last edited by vogironface; 05-01-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Boolit Master

I use and prefer the Lee 452-230-TC. I have a number of H&G molds for the 45 as well but the Lee just works.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta have a round nose for smooth speed loads in the 625.

Boolit Master
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Lee 452-190-SWC for many years in the ACP, the AR and the .45 Colt. Unfortunately Lee has discontinued it.

I use the Hornady 185 XTO over 7.5 gr Unique in the ACP as my seriuos social load. Used to use the 200 gr Speer "FAT" HP.

Larry Gibson

I started out with the Lee 452-200 1R, but had feed problems (my gun, my fault) so I switched to the Lee 452-200 SWC (H&G) 68 clone. I really love that boolit. I then tried the Lee TL 452-200 SWC and fell in love all over again, plus the mold is one of the newer types. and It releases boolits like it was already lee-mented, and I did nothing but clean it and start using it. Then I went crazy and ordered one of the M-P molds from Slovenia, and it is a work of wonderment. Just by changing the pins you can cast 3 different boolit types. And the boolits fall out like they were greased with Canadian Honker grease. So now I am just going to shoot lotz-o-boolits till I run low and try to decide which one to stick with. I am sure that I have not helped you make any kind of decision, but you see, that is the dilemma of the boolit caster.

Whew, I am sure glad I got all of that out.

Perfect Paper Holes are from the 200gr SWC, my 1911 loved them.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the RN for the revolver. Been trying to feed SWC in full moon clips. Exercise in frustration.

The 452-230-TC has a good sized metplat in case you ever need it and it feeds reliably in my ancient Thompson AO 1911 which chokes on SWC's.
    The gun loves RN bullets, but I've heard bad things about some not liking the 1R, then others not liking the 2R.
    The TC bullets feed perfectly and the TL bullets work great with 45/45/10.
    I love the 6 bangers, makes about 500-800 boolits an hour. These were from the very first lead boolits I ever cast.
    Attachment 68923Attachment 68924

Trixter,

The idea here is to reduce indecisiveness not contribute to it. Your post was contrary to the intent of the question.

I own the tl 452-230-tc. My intent is to sell that one and buy a traditional lube design. I could use it tumbled or traditional lubed. So far it looks like the 200 swc is winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I started out with the Lee 452-200 1R, but had feed problems (my gun, my fault) so I switched to the Lee 452-200 SWC (H&G) 68 clone. I really love that boolit. I then tried the Lee TL 452-200 SWC and fell in love all over again, plus the mold is one of the newer types. and It releases boolits like it was already lee-mented, and I did nothing but clean it and start using it. Then I went crazy and ordered one of the M-P molds from Slovenia, and it is a work of wonderment. Just by changing the pins you can cast 3 different boolit types. And the boolits fall out like they were greased with Canadian Honker grease. So now I am just going to shoot lotz-o-boolits till I run low and try to decide which one to stick with. I am sure that I have not helped you make any kind of decision, but you see, that is the dilemma of the boolit caster.

Whew, I am sure glad I got all of that out.

This is the very mold I started with as well. Part of me wants to keep it since I don't have any real complaints about it but I really need to consider simplifying as well. Has anyone ever tried lubing these tumble designs in a lube sizer before? I wonder if you would get a little lube to stick in those micro grooves. With my 38/357 I get tighter groups with traditional lube than tumble and that is my intent here.

Boolit Master
    I really like the 230-TC, it feeds great in everything I've tried. The SWC can be picky about seating depth for feeding.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vogironface View Post
    Has anyone ever tried lubing these tumble designs in a lube sizer before? I wonder if you would get a little lube to stick in those micro grooves.
    Been there, tried that... it is an exercise in futility... MUCH harder to size and MUCH more effort to pump the lube...

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

I voted the 452-200-swc...but it really depends on the platform. I think we could help you a lot more if we knew what you were planning to shoot it thru...

The 452-200-swc will work well in a variety of guns...both autos and revolvers. A RN may be more appropriate if you shoot with speed loaders in a revolver...or an older or unthroated 1911 that chokes on anything with a shoulder. The SWC makes nice holes in paper, shoots well in most guns, and saves you 30grs every shot.

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    I use and prefer the Lee 452-230-TC. I have a number of H&G molds for the 45 as well but the Lee just works.
    I borrowed that one from a friend once.

It will probably be the next mold that I buy, if I ever get back to buying molds.

They also make a 160gr RNFP that shoots well. If you want to be stingy with the lead supply, that one is a real good choice. The only part about it that I don't like is that my fat little fingers have a hard time setting them flat on the case mouth.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Good point. I shoot it through a XD45. I will update the original post to state as much. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kir_kenix View Post
    I voted the 452-200-swc...but it really depends on the platform. I think we could help you a lot more if we knew what you were planning to shoot it thru...

The 452-200-swc will work well in a variety of guns...both autos and revolvers. A RN may be more appropriate if you shoot with speed loaders in a revolver...or an older or unthroated 1911 that chokes on anything with a shoulder. The SWC makes nice holes in paper, shoots well in most guns, and saves you 30grs every shot.

Boolit Grand Master

I never saw the Lee 200 SWC called (by Lee) a "H&G 68" before!

If it is their old design, it is not a clone of the H&G 68, but a 'kinda, sorta' copy
    with the BB feature. Reports are that it works pretty well, but unless they
    have redesigned it, it is NOT a clone of the H&G 68. Longer nose, smaller
    meplat, narrower shoulder.

The H&G 68 is pretty nearly the class of the field, with the Lyman 452460
    usually a bit more accurate, but at the cost of usually a bit less reliable in
    feeding. A real H&G 68 is essentially 100% reliable feeder in 1911s.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I voted for the 200gr SWC and it works beautifully in all of the family's 1911's however I also have a 2 cavity 230gr TC, this boolit feeds in just about anything, I use it for light loads in my NMBH convertible.

Boolit Grand Master

The question is which LEE mould I prefer. 98% of my 1911 and 625 shooting is done with a Mihec version of the H&G #68 SWC. However, for quick reloads in the revolvers, the Lee (conventionally lubed) 230 TC is used with clips.

My heavy bullet load for the 625's is the NOE version of the Lyman 454424 at 250 grs (Keith semi-wadcutter).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    Just purchased a LEE 452 200 gr SWC. Similar the the H&G 68 but with the BB.
    Mine has a .006 gap from the bottom of the BB to the bottom of the sprue plate. Gonna have a good part of the BB milled off.

That being said, I have four LEE molds for the .45. The other ones cast good boolits and shoot well.
    I can't choose more than one option so I'll pass for now.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin