Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a Cheap Idea for Ingot Molds

Boolit Buddy
    The teflon does gas out on the first pour, you'll hear it sizzle a little, pour slowly. You may get a small bubble or two on the first ingot, but it is only an ingot that is going to get melted down again, so it is no big deal.

Boolit Master

True, but that gas is strong enough to kill a pet canary (bird). Not outside of course, but it is not good for you.

Also, mine would bubble every time I used it. So, I sand blasted it and now I get perfect ingots every time.

Worth 10 minutes of effort? To me it was!

I have been using aluminum beer/soda cans or sardine tins with pretty good success. I just cut the tops off the cans and make sure they're dry insideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	lead 1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	68451. once they cool off they are pretty easy to peel off with pliars. can't get to much cheaper than that.

Boolit Master
    I still prefer my little corn cob ingots made from the cast iron pans.. I can put two on top of my warm pot to keep the pot full as I cast.. after about 40-50 bullets, I drop an ingot in, and replace it from my bucket..

Quote Originally Posted by acguy45 View Post
    I have been using aluminum beer/soda cans or sardine tins with pretty good success. I just cut the tops off the cans and make sure they're dry inside once they cool off they are pretty easy to peel off with pliars. can't get to much cheaper than that.
    No but way too much work peeling alum or tin off. If you have access to a welder, head to the scrap yard. A few $$ gets you a 24" section of 3" channel iron. Cut it into 4" lengths, weld 3-4 together & then the rest as a handle.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I've used about everything for moulds. You can spray anything with dry moly lube, and it will release the lead. I have used alot of teflon coated as is and they work fine for years,.
    Mike

Boolit Master

Check out you local antique shops I picked up these cast iron corn bread pans in the photos for eight dollars each.
    Jeepyj
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	68651
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have used the cast iron corn
    moulds and are very happy with them.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Love the poem

I use the cavity in the side of a red brick. They cost me nothing and produce an ingot that weighs approximately four pounds.

Boolit Master

I use cast iron corn cob molds that were headed to the scrap yard. Have about 6 of them. That's what I use for my coww alloy. Then, I have stainless steel condiment cups from Walmart (mentioned above) for pewter and solder. I bought 2 cast iron muffin pans off Amazon for the pure lead and soww. As forgetful as I am (chronic CRS) it helps to have different shapes. I ladle cast from a 40 lb pot, so size of ingots works for me. RayinNH makes some nice molds. I have a ladle and skimmer from him and just love 'em.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I am inthe process of making several molds out of channel for me and a few other close by members.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon-One View Post
    I sand blasted them to remove the Teflon coating. It would "gas out" under the molten lead and leave large bubbles in the ingots surface. Not very good looking ingots. Obviously, my pans were Teflon coated. Also, the fumes from super hot Teflon are not good for you.

Tin coated pans will stick like they were soldered to your ingots, probably what you had if they stuck so bad!
    I bought a dollar store cupcake pan tin coated like mentioned, what a mess! Luckily the cups pulled out of the 'frame' then I was able to clip the edges of the cups in about eight places and peel the cups off the lead. It was such a pain I started using a cast iron baking dish the wife no longer used. Search 'sissy mold' page 2 and you will see what it was.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    I am inthe process of making several molds out of channel for me and a few other close by members.
    That's exactly what I did. Only cost $899. However, my Grandson taught me how to weld with my new toy and the channel (actually used an old bed frame) makes excellent 1.5 lb ingots.

Boolit Master

I've got some little "mini-loaf" pans that are seamless stamped stainless; they've got considerable draft, so the ingots should drop right out, and the size is just right to make three to five pounds (depending how deep you fill), and they're not joined together, so you don't have to lift twenty or thirty pounds to flip them over to drop the ingots. These particular ones are still in the kitchen waiting to do duty for individual bread loaves, but if you could find a set of these cheap at Big Lots or some such place, they'd make excellent ingot molds.

Boolit Buddy
    i cut soda and bear cans to fit under my bottom pour,
    and then tear off the can when the ingots cool down.

i consider them to be esentialy free ingot molds,.
    hello.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm getting ready to melt 100 lbs of wheel weight down here in the next day or so and am looking for some ideas to pour my lead into that won't break the bank. I commonly see cupcake pans but I don't think they will fit very well in my Lee Pro 10 lb pot. Any other ideas you can come up with? Maybe something at Walmart? I have a LEE ignot mold, but it has 2x 1lbs and 2x 1/2lbs. Thinking it will be a rough day using only 1 ignot mold (2lbs at a time lol).

Virtually any metal should be okay right? Or some that I should stay away from (don't think they make lead pans... ) Do some work bettter than others i.e. Al vs Fe?

What do you think?
    I used the mini-muffin tins for a while - they're cheep and each muffin is about 8 oz.

Boolit Master