MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what mold would you recommend for 45 acp boolits

Boolit Mold

what mold would you recommend for 45 acp boolits

Ok guys the title says it all so which one and why.

Thanks Horsemen61

Boolit Grand Master

MY favorite target bullet in the 1911 and 625's is the Mihec (MP Molds) version of the #68 H&G. I prefer the flat base version (the original H&G flat base was labeled #69). This works perfectly at low NRA Target velocity as well as full loads exceeding 900 fps. It is arguably the most popular of all cast bullets for the .45 ACP and with good reason. It weighs 200grs, has a wadcutting shoulder, and is accurate to at least 100 yards (I haven't shot it further). It has one grease groove (which I MUCH prefer). One of the most important characteristics is that it was designed to have the same "strike" against the feed ramp as the 230 gr round nose. It will function in most modern 1911's without issue. It even is reliable in my unaltered Kimber Ultra CDP II 3"...

Dale53

Love Life
    NOT THE LEE RN!!!!

It must be seated super deep and is just a hassle that doesn't need to be dealt with.

Now lets peel back the lairs and find the need behind the need...

Target shooting: H&G 68 or clone
    General use: Lyman 230 gr RN, RCBS 230 gr RN, H&G 68, H&G RN (Can't recall the number)

Boolit Master

Lyman 452460 and 452374 are the boolits I stay with. I had a lee 230gr tl and didn't care for it.

Boolit Master
    That RN Lee you gave me, Dick, works very well in my 1911. I haven't had an ounce of problems with it. It feeds well as well as shoots pretty darn good. I like it. I believe it was the 230 gn. 2R mould. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

Attachment 67535
    NOE has some 452-230 hp molds at their website
    that work very well in my 1911

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...c97n0b30q9jh15
    Last edited by Hickory; 04-15-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    I love my Lee 2 cavity .452, 230 grain round nose. 1 month ago I was a first time boolit caster, never owned a boolit mold in my life and THANKS to the EXCELLENT advice from the folks here I got excellent results. I bought the mold new, followed the instructions about breaking in the mold, (cleaned the mold with rubbing alcohol using Q-tips, smoked the mold cavities with matches until the cavities were black), started pouring and VIOLA, beautiful BOOLITS. I accomplished this on my 1st pour and you can too. 2 must do procedures,( make sure your mold is up to temp., and your lead is up to temp.). I turn on my Lee 10 lb pot to number 7 which is very close to 700 degrees, I give the lead approx. a 10-15 minute head start, then I turn on my single hot plate and put the Lee mold on it to preheat the mold. The lead will be ready in approx. 20-25 minutes and so will the mold. Keep an eye on the preheating of the mold, you do not want it to get too hot, start pouring and:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg  

Lee 230gr TC. Feeds in anything, is just as accurate as the H&G #68, 6 banger moulds are less than $40 and can cast a pile of bullets in no time.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Buddy
    Hickory, Is that one the small hole HP??
    I already have the 6 hole Lee 230g 2R mold and I really like it, my 1911 eats them like candy. I now want a HP mold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by victor3ranger View Post
    Hickory, Is that one the small hole HP??
    That's the one. This is a great boolit for anything that will shoot a .451 boolit.
    Last edited by Hickory; 04-15-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Mold
    I am going to have to look into buy one the HP molds. Looks like a great boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. Never had this question before. . . . . . . .

H&G 68 and clones, Lyman 452460, MP 452 200HP.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Lee TC 230 grain; wonderfully accurate in my 45 ACP guns. I also have Lee's 190 grain SWC (no longer made per their website chart) but it too is a very nice boolit.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 04-15-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Can't go wrong with H & G 68 or 452374 Lyman

Boolit Master
    Lyman 452374 and 452460.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    NOT THE LEE RN!!!!

It must be seated super deep and is just a hassle that doesn't need to be dealt with.

Now lets peel back the lairs and find the need behind the need...

Target shooting: H&G 68 or clone
    General use: Lyman 230 gr RN, RCBS 230 gr RN, H&G 68, H&G RN (Can't recall the number)
    I have one of the original Lyman molds that was a copy of the "service bullet" from the 1930's......but it's a single cavity. I yearned for higher production rates, so in frustration I bought a six cavity Lee 230 gr. round nose. After a learning curve I can drop boolits at a prodigeous rate. They seat with the little shoulder even with the case mouth and have never failed me.......plus they're accurate. The only problem I can remember was that they seemed to expand the brass a bit at first, resulting in feed stoppages. I bought a Lee taper crimp die and installed it in the last station of my Dillon and it's been nothing but smiles ever since.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got a LEE .45 200 gr. SWC. Havent tried it yet. The TL 200 gr SWC works good, so does the 230 TC.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by horsemen61 View Post
    Ok guys the title says it all so which one and why.

Thanks Horsemen61
    Autoloader or revolver? I like the lyman 200 gr SWC for my 625 (works ok in my 1911 too) my 1911 likes 230 gr Lee truncated cone.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
    Lee TC 230 grain; wonderfully accurate in my 45 ACP guns. I also have Lee's 190 grain SWC (no longer made per their website chart) but it too is a very nice boolit.
    Yup. Only SWC I could get to feed in my G30 when I had one.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Lee 230gr TC. Feeds in anything, is just as accurate as the H&G #68, 6 banger moulds are less than $40 and can cast a pile of bullets in no time.

This is my choice as well. Been using the TC design since it came out many years ago. The Lee is my current flavor.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator