RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

I use lemon zest instead of lemon or lime juice in my cheesecake. I make a NY Style cheesecake (cooking-wise, IIRC NY Cheesecake doesn't usually incorporate the lemon) and a no sugar added blend of artificial sweeteners. I also make an almond meal crust as I have a nasty reaction to gluten and wheat.

This Blueberry topped cheesecake won the coveted (ahem, right...) Golden Spatula Award at the office.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad I stumbled onto The Better Homes and Garden page.

Boolit Buddy
    beautiful...mmmm.....cheeeeeesecake....mmmm....
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Love Life
    IME pure citric acid or lemisshine both equally well. Warm or hot water is not really needed. I use cold hose water and a 30 gallon tote to wash my brass first. Cuts tumbling time in half and gives shinier brass.

Pure citric acid and lemishine bothe work equally well in SS tumblers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    I use lemon zest instead of lemon or lime juice in my cheesecake. I make a NY Style cheesecake (cooking-wise, IIRC NY Cheesecake doesn't usually incorporate the lemon) and a no sugar added blend of artificial sweeteners. I also make an almond meal crust as I have a nasty reaction to gluten and wheat.

This Blueberry topped cheesecake won the coveted (ahem, right...) Golden Spatula Award at the office.

That's just wrong, right there.

got mine here wow what a great price and i put brown brass that wouldnt tumble clean turned from brown to pink and brass in minutes a good price why didnt i try this before ..?
    http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Ci...A1CYP7JMGPN5MJ
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Bub

Found lemi-shine at the grocery store today. Will get on this next time in the shop.
    Thanks for all the information
    Wes

I ordered a universal decap die from Midway and it came yesterday afternoon. I have to get to the shop and decap (without case sizing) some more '06 cases to throw in the citric acid bath.

I may never use the case tumbler again...

Boolit Mold
    I soak them in citric acid bath over night then tumble them for a few hours and they come out looking better then new!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1761.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	68375 i hope these 2 pics were uploaded properly. anyhow, can u guess which pile was tumbled for and hour and which 1 got a citric acid bath for an hour?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1760.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	68377

Boolit Buddy
    You know, I think that the experiment I did with White Vinegar and Salt turned out slightly better than the Citric Acid. Both work though.. Really well.. another great tip from this board...

i was not impressed with the citric acid. ima stick with tumbling. always fun to try something new tho

Boolit Master
    First, the cheese cake pics are WAY OUT OF ORDER. Here it is, almost lunch time and I'm hungrier than a b itch wolf with pups; that just is not fair!

I may have posted this already, but I do not decap before using citric acid and the pockets are still clean. I do tumble them in the citric acid for several hours (Thumlers Tumbler).

Again, that cheese cake really has me on edge!

prs

i have tried the citric ACID bath and then tumble works EXELLENT almost as good as a stainless steel tumbler , at least on the outside , the inside is clean but not near as nice as a stainless media, i shake out the water /acid mixture then throw it in damp , seems to dry fast and cleans much better ...
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    I add about a half teaspoon of pure orange oil to my lizard bedding (crushed walnut shells) case cleaner media. Strong enough to cut the lube off cases and makes them bright and shiny. Smells up the room good too.
    Is that a rubber barrel vibrating tumbler, plastic barrel vibrating or a rotating tumbler? I have found that some liquid cleaners and some chemicals when added to a rubber barrel vibrating tumbler, the barrel get destroyed. Destroyed as in goes limp and becomes useless.

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Boolit Mold
    I used the citric acid today for the first time. On old .222 brass that I have been tumbling and storing for more than 20 years. Some of it was dog brown. After 20 minutes even those were looking great. A hour in direct sun dried them out, I tumbled for a few hours and they look new. Now I was easily able to spot a few cracked necks on some of the old military resized .223 casings.
    A great tip!

Moderator Emeritus

I tried using a citric bath in my sonic cleaner @ 140 degrees. First batch was at 30 minutes, Had a lot of pink brass and did not a huge difference than batches tried without the sonic and with hot water. I cut the time for the next batch down to 5 minutes. A lot less pink brass and good results. The pieces that are turning pink were so bad they looked darker than steel that I got out of sand at the range. Happy with the citrus and use it as a prep bath for my regular sonic solution. Two baths are probably overkill but it works for me. A few batches of 223 will fit in my food dehydrator and are dry in about 2 or so hours @ 100 degrees. Pistol cartridges take less drying time.

Boolit Mold
    Citric Acid is also sold in powder form on eBay. Check several sellers, the prices vary widely. Easy to find 1 pound and 5 pound lots. Some sellers go all the way up to 25 pounds.

Buy citric acid

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php...king_id=17:36: Bought mine here. 10lbs for $27. Other lesser amounts available. Free Shipping. Just measure 7 fluid ounces of the powder out (1 cup minus two level tablespoons), and add that to a gallon of water. http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....4&postcount=31 My brass, after cleaning has pink patches & dark streaks on some. 1qt water to 1 tablespoon citric acid. Not sure i like it. May go back to using "ReaLemon"
    Last edited by 243winxb; 08-03-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added My brass .................