Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle users

Air rifle users

I noticed the price of lead pellets have jumped 25% in the last month. If you use air guns and don't have a good stock of pellets you may want to stock up before they go up any more. The price and demand for lead is driving the cost up on lead pellets. Wal-mart has Crossman 500 count HP hunting pellets in .22 for 9.97 they also have .177 in 500 count for around 8 dollars.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    I noticed the price of lead pellets have jumped 25% in the last month. If you use air guns and don't have a good stock of pellets you may want to stock up before they go up any more. The price and demand for lead is driving the cost up on lead pellets. Wal-mart has Crossman 500 count HP hunting pellets in .22 for 9.97 they also have .177 in 500 count for around 8 dollars.
    That's not bad. I recently ordered two 1250 count boxes of Crosman .177 wadcutters through my Mom & Pop dealer, $10/box. That added to the three 250 count boxes I bought from the hardware store gives me a bit over 3K. If I shoot a coupla' dozen sittin' on the front steps in the afternoons, I'll be shootin' for awhile.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If only I had a 180 RB mould maybe its time for a shot maker . My 177 Beeman is over bore a steel bb just drops through rattling all the way down. Most of the pellets I've used seem to grip the rifles fine. I dont shoot it too much so the 2k from 05' ought to hold me a while more.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I guess the frenzy is spilling into airguns, after they can't find .22's.
    I would be interested in a big-bore, say .45-.50 or so.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    If only I had a 180 RB mould maybe its time for a shot maker . My 177 Beeman is over bore a steel bb just drops through rattling all the way down. Most of the pellets I've used seem to grip the rifles fine. I dont shoot it too much so the 2k from 05' ought to hold me a while more.
    If I'm not mistaken, that's by design. BBs being steel, if the bore diameter was smaller than the BB, the BB would jam in the riflings.

I have a friend that is a big time air rifle nut. He's all up in it. When I told him I bought a .177 break barrel, he told me "Rule number one: NEVER shoot BBs through your pellet rifle!! They'll bounce down the barrel and ruin the riflings."

I dunno, I'm not an air rifle expert. It makes sense, though, and sounds like good advice. I look at it like this: I wouldn't shoot a sloppy fit steel ball through one of my centerfire rifles.

Banned

the price of lead has been falling for a while now.
    it's hanging out around 92 cents.

Boolit Master
    Why not just get a air rifle mold for your caliber? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that's by design. BBs being steel, if the bore diameter was smaller than the BB, the BB would jam in the riflings.

I have a friend that is a big time air rifle nut. He's all up in it. When I told him I bought a .177 break barrel, he told me "Rule number one: NEVER shoot BBs through your pellet rifle!! They'll bounce down the barrel and ruin the riflings."

I dunno, I'm not an air rifle expert. It makes sense, though, and sounds like good advice. I look at it like this: I wouldn't shoot a sloppy fit steel ball through one of my centerfire rifles.
    Bingo. A pellet acts like a slug when fired,the skirt is tight in the bore to make a air seal once fired it folds in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Why not just get a air rifle mold for your caliber? ? ?
    I always felt it would be possible for some company to make an affordable, lead wire fed swager to knock them out quickly. Should easily be able to do it.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I have a life time stock of pellets I bought years back. I know lots of guys that use air guns so when I'm out I check for deals to pass along to them and just noticed the price hike.

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    I always felt it would be possible for some company to make an affordable, lead wire fed swager to knock them out quickly. Should easily be able to do it.
    I've seen some before but it was years ago old guy I knew had a few hand press pellet presses. The wire was pushed in then pressed and a single pellet was made.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Guys, this is pretty interesting. Could zinc be used for pellets?

Boolit Grand Master
    Assuming the skirt of the pellet is groove diameter, I would wonder if a break barrel design would generate enough pressure to drive a zinc pellet down the barrel. I know a good way to find out, though, right?

I'd like to have a small block aluminum mold about the size of a Lee mold with two to four cavities that would cast a .178 RB. With an RB, there ain't no front or back and there's no skirt to worry about mashing. Snug the ball in the chamber and go.

I bet I could lube 178 RBs with my Graphlox lube and get 'em to zip along pretty good! And no more lead than what it would take to cast a .178 RB, you could make a blue million of 'em with a pound.

BB's in a break barrel air rifle will not create enough resistance and may cause a detonation, possibly damaging the rifle.
    As for a pellet mold or swager, would only be nice if the resultant pellet was accurate enough in the air gun to be useful. Air guns can be very picky on what particular pellet style, brand, or weight they like. No guarantee the rifle will like the pellet until you bought the mold and made the pellets. Not to mention that if you have multiple air guns, some might like the pellet and other may not!
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Boolit Master

Both my .177 pellet guns have barrels to tight to fit steel BB which are .18 there are guns made to shoot both.

As far as casting .177 pellets i am sure a hammer driven pound swaging die would be better and tin (solid lead free solder) can be used to make pellets if lead gets banned.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

A few years we had a custom .177 mold buy. I have one. after some testing by several members it was found if loaded backwards with the point forming an extreme boat tail and a metplate front they were more accurate. I cast them out of pure lead, they are slower than pellets but the extra makes up for it. I have had them go completely through a squirrel.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

A lead RB made of soft lead fitted snug enough should make a air seal. They are making lead free pellets I think some of them are made with zinc you check the Gamo lead free pellets to find out what their made of.

Last edited by Swamp Man; 04-09-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Boolit Master

Good thing I cleaned Wally World out of them two weeks ago, ended up with five 300 count Daisy "Dial a pellet" packs to go with my stash. Out the door at a little over 12 clams.

Plenty of selection left, just not the pellet packs. I'll save the flat points for tree rats and let the kids puch holes with the rest.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne