Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: What is the best alloy from Rotometals someone starting out?

Boolit Mold

What is the best alloy from Rotometals someone starting out?

Thanks for letting me join your site. I am sure there is a thread somewhere with this answer, but allow me to ask anyway. I have a 9mm Glock 34 I will use strictly for target shooting. Going to learn reloading and making my own bullets. Can someone suggest the best alloy to purchase from Rotometals and how much to alloy to purchase? Also, suggestions on molds and the rest appreciated, as I have not purchased any equipment yet.

I think you might want to read up on cast boolits in a Glock. There are as many opinions as Glock shooters, I think, but it is something you should research before you make a decision. Welcome to the site, there's a lot here to learn.

Boolit Master
    Are you aware that you are not suppose to lead boolits in a Glock barrel?
    Are you aware you need to slug the barrel in order to know what size mold and sizer you need?
    Are you aware that the velocity (power level) of the loads will determine not only the alloy needed by also the lube required?

Have you read any of the Sticky Threads on Alloys and ones on Lubes?

A good starting point.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-Handgunners

I understand that it would be great for you if someone came along and told you what mold,what size, what alloy ,what powder ,what charge etc. to use to get accurate non leading results but first point to consider is just because it works for one pearson in thisr Glock or any other 9mm does not mean it will be good for yours.

If you want same results as enjoyed(?) by those who use commerical cast then the Hardball alloy, sized to .356 ,lubed with a hard lube and use any of the reloading manuals. Most like alloy will be to hard,lube will be to hard, dia. will be to small and there will be leading.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 04-08-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Banned

Drop in a replacement barrel, Lone Wolf or whatever, and fire away. After that, you could start at .356, as noted, and see how that works.

Boolit Master

Not shooting lead in a glock is a misnomer. Can it be done. Yes. Have I done it a LOT. YES. Is it as easy as loading for a 1911 in 45? No, but a little effort and you can, no problem.

Fit will be king. After you slug your barrel, hardness will be next, followed by a good lube. I use carnuba red.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Not to hijack the thread, but does what was stated above for the 9mm apply as well to the .40 version?

Banned

Glock specifically does not recommend it for any of their guns. Potential for lead build-up and pressure spike and yet another way for a Glock to go Ka-boom. Get an after-market barrel and you are good to go.

Boolit Master
    In the real world a Glock or any other brand of firearm is more likely to go ka boom due to a reload being a double charger or a squib round followed by a charged round.

IMO anyone reloading that can not / does not check for leading when developoing / testing a new load and can not tell that the pressure of his reloads being fired is getting greater and that accuracy has gone to hell should not be reloading.

I posted in first responce to OP
    Are you aware that you are not suppose to lead boolits in a Glock barrel?

I did not post , can not , do not, . I have a SA XD-9 and the good folks at SA state Do Not Use Reloads.

Now I would hazard a guess that 95% plus of qll of the SA Range Rental pistols get feed a steady diet of range reloads and I have read of some of these being fired over 100K per year and being replaced every two or three years.

The first four boxs of 9mm I purchased for my new SA-XD9 weren reloads . Not mine or from a buddy but from retail gun stores which only had reloads for sell. For those who are unaware there are more than a few ammo remanufactures who produce reloads better than factory and some produces millions of such rounds.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 04-09-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Buddy
    Hard ball.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.