Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T-3 in .308 Win.

Boolit Master

Tikka T-3 in .308 Win.

I found a LEFT HANDED Tikka T-3 today in one of my LGS. I don't normally buy foriegn company rifles but this one really caught my eye. I shouldered it and the LOP felt really nice. The trigger was rather light for a hunting rifle and very crisp. The barrel was a light contour stainless and about 22" long.
    I am considering offering them a trade for one of my bolt rifles thats RH and in .308. I'm tired of fighting a RH bolt.

Are these Tikkas known to be accurate, (not necessarily for cast or jacket in particular), strong, well built reliable rifles?
    Over all I was impressed with the rifle.
    Can anyone offer some opinions/experiences on the Tikka T-3?

Boolit Master

They are good rifles. And if you don't buy it, let me know where it is so I can buy it!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    They are good rifles. And if you don't buy it, let me know where it is so I can buy it!
    Hahaha, not so fast Bruce.....

What kind of accuracy can I expect from the T3?

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    i have a Tikka T3 .243 and a Tikka T3 .223 and they both shoot 1/2" MOA at 100 yards with the Barnes bullets i use... the rifle will shoot fantastic out of the box, enjoy

they are "value" rifles, the barrel, bolt, and action are all quality but the rest is marginal imo, i have the "Hunter" T3 for both that has the wood stock, plastic trigger guard, plastic safety

Boolit Master

I know Highpower Rifle shooters who have converted T3 into Match rifles for shooting out to 600 yards so that will let you know they are good rifles.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

The one I am considering is a Lite stainless model. Looks like I'm gonna have to go talk to them about trading.

Did anyones come with scope rings? This rifle comes with a set of 1" rings. I didn't get to see them, are the factory scope rings any count?

I have a T-3 .308 with a bull barrel and quite happy with it. With jacketed 168 grain Sierra reloads I keep a nickel size grouping at 100 yards, not so good yet w/cast boolits.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    The one I am considering is a Lite stainless model. Looks like I'm gonna have to go talk to them about trading.

Did anyones come with scope rings? This rifle comes with a set of 1" rings. I didn't get to see them, are the factory scope rings any count?
    both mine came with factory scope rings... they were a piece of cr@p imo so i bought after market

I had T3 in 300 win mag, tiny 3 shot groups, it was a bucking bronco.
    After 3 rounds, your arm thinks its been kicked by a horse
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I had T3 in 300 win mag, tiny 3 shot groups, it was a bucking bronco.
    After 3 rounds, your arm thinks its been kicked by a horse
    They are light guns. Best suited for light calibers. 308 Win fits the bill.
    My daughter has one in 270 Win. She's about 120 pounds wet. She likes it. Her husband has one in 7mm Magnum.

They will make a good three shot group. After that you need to wait for a cool down. About like a Winchester M70 Featherweight.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    both mine came with factory scope rings... they were a piece of cr@p imo so i bought after market
    What rings did you go with?

Boolit Buddy
    My T3 .270 is a tackdriver no complaints at all. The factory rings work well on my gun, mounted a 2.5 x 8 Leupold with no problems after four years. This has to be one of the best buys out there right now for a factory rifle, smooth action, good trigger, accurate, lightweight, what else could you want from a factory gun?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    What rings did you go with?
    leupold

Boolit Master
    The Tikka T3 is basically an affordable Sako. A few difference like a removable magazine and the stock, but made in the same place. A left hand T3 would definitely fit the bill if I were in the market for a new rifle.

Boolit Master
    I had the Tika T3 ultralight in .243 and sold if after shooting a deer with it. Best I ever got was 1"@100y due to the heavy trigger and whippy barrel. It was good for about 3 shots and started walking making cold bore site in very slow. Great to pack but a 200y rifle at best.

I think a wood stock and slightly heavier barrel would have made it a keeper. The grip is nice and fast and the bolt was smooth and big. Good designs as are the scope mounts for Tikas.

Boolit Master

What have you guys paid for your Tikkas? This shop has $800 on the price tag. I'll be trading but I don't expect much for my Savage .308.

Boolit Master
    I paid $615 for mine two years ago. FYI the factory rings are good if you lap them as the coating did have uneven surfaces. I have a 1" alluminum tube that I coat with compound and tighten so I can barely move it and work it in. Even the best rings will be imporoved by doing this. My tube is actually off a GCX mount but any machine shop will likely have solid bar stock in the propper OD. Or buy the Brownells kit.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Tikka T3 in 30-06 several years ago. A little TLC, some burris rings, a Bushnell Elite 3200, and some good ammo and I could cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yards.
    I traded the rifle strait across for a boat (yeah it was that sweet), I sold the boat to help pay for a wedding ring set, and then I ended up getting the boat back later. I tried to find that rifle, but I'm afraid it's gone with the wind.
    Oh well, I replaced it with a Sako and I'm just about as impressed with it, as I was with the Tikka. They are the same company IIRC.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I have a sako 75 hunter in 30-06. Best shooting 06 I have had yet. Had the stock cut about an inch and a pachmayer deaccelerator pad put on. Good combination. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I had a Tikka T3 in 30-06 several years ago. A little TLC, some burris rings, a Bushnell Elite 3200, and some good ammo and I could cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yards.
    I traded the rifle strait across for a boat (yeah it was that sweet), I sold the boat to help pay for a wedding ring set, and then I ended up getting the boat back later. I tried to find that rifle, but I'm afraid it's gone with the wind.
    Oh well, I replaced it with a Sako and I'm just about as impressed with it, as I was with the Tikka. They are the same company IIRC.
    What flavor "TLC" are you refering to Tim? LOL