WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: I have broken the number 1 rule with using lee pots....

Boolit Master

I have broken the number 1 rule with using lee pots....

I just spent the last 40 mins cleaning up 15 pounds of 50/50 lino/coww. I walked away from the pot long enough to check on something in the house and came back to a rather large pile of alloy. At least I know I am not the first or last to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still pretty new to casting and use a Lee Pro 4-20 pot and would like to ask a question. I've read of this happening and have to admit I'm guilty of leaving the pot on and running in the house to grab something a time or two. I've always wondered when this happens if it is typically on initial fire up of the pot and something sticks or freezes from sitting a while or if it happens after an hour or two of casting. Would you mind to elaborate a little on how this event transpired so I can learn a little here as well?

I get that it isn't a good idea to leave molten pots of lead sitting around unattended but a guy has to hit the head, line out his two sons playing in the yard, forgets something he needs in the basement on the reloading bench etc.... Just always been curious how likely this is to happen after the pot is up to temp vs. on start-up if that makes sense.

Just turn the valve pin with a screwdriver and check that it's not dripping before you go. And try not to be away for two long. I've never had a major pile-up but drips yes. So watch it for a few minutes before going anyway. No guaranties!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44691 Tons of great info in this sticky. MANY of us have this pot, and ALL of us who use it have come up with solutions (some good and some not so good) to make these things work. I love mine, BUT I too have made some modifications to make it work just swell. Thankfully enough, I have known several who have gone before me and LEARNED fro their mistakes. Never shall I walk away from you, Oh venerable Lee 4-20!! Or any pot, for that matter.

There are other threads on the subject and a REALLY good post from a senior member here who used threaded 3/8" rod and placed a weight on top of the valve pin to prevent the dreaded drip. I will look for it later unless someone else beats me to it.....

These valve pins "float" in molten alloy and adding weight WILL solve a lot of the issues we face.

Ain't it fun? har har!!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

You know that wooden knob on the side that is used to lift the pin. Unscrew the wooden knob and put a few washers on the threaded rod that the knob screws on and then put the wooden knob back on. Has been working wonders for mine the past 3-4 years. No drippies....
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

mine only drips at first, once it gets up to temp it will start dripping. Easy to fix if I am there. Most of the time its just a slow drip, but I am finding that with lino it runs like water.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    You know that wooden knob on the side that is used to lift the pin. Unscrew the wooden knob and put a few washers on the threaded rod that the knob screws on and then put the wooden knob back on. Has been working wonders for mine the past 3-4 years. No drippies....
    Mine has a big heavy solid steel knob. Must be an update? My pot is only about 3 years old.

Mine still drips though, I always figured it was because i used it for smelting wheel weights and casting and I get some dirt in the valve.

It never "ran away" on me though. I keep a soup can under it just to be safe though to catch the drips during warmup.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmatchell View Post
    I just spent the last 40 mins cleaning up 15 pounds of 50/50 lino/coww. I walked away from the pot long enough to check on something in the house and came back to a rather large pile of alloy. At least I know I am not the first or last to do it.
    Nope.
    I weighted my handle.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Mine is not even a year old and it has a heavy steel nob on it. It drips due to dirt in the valve and I couldn't disassemble it to clean. I'll have to cut the valve adjuster screw to dissassemble. But for now it doesn't drip much.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Due to my ignorance, I once walked away from my Lee 20 bottom pour pot. When i returned there was a big sheet of lead solidified on my picnic table and concrete floor. I had to peel and roll lead to put back into pot. Afterwards I converted this pot to a ladle pour only. I now use RCBS Pro Melt for bottom pouring.

Boolit Master

A few years back a member here plugged his two pots in and then walked back into his house.

When next he looked out the window at his reloading/casting/man cave it was fully engulfed in flames and it burnt to the ground. The only thing saved was the eight or nine hundred pounds of lead that ran out the door to solidify on the ground.

When he posted this story here it made me think. So I looked my set up over. Now, when I plug in my Lee ten pounder I have a ten pound Lyman cast iron pot under the spout.

The Lee is screwed to a cookie sheet that would easily contain the melt.

I also make sure that there is no way the melt could make it's way to any powder or primers. Molten lead is above the flash point of smokeless powder.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I found a large enough stainless sheet pan 12"x18"- perfect. Gtek