RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" or 20" .357? got to add a lever gun in this caliber

Boolit Buddy

I have had both 16 and 20 inch barrels on marlin leverguns. I much prefer the 20 inch tube. It handles better for me and shoots a bit more accurately.

Boolit Master
    Anyone have a Henry Big Boy in .357? I had a chance to pick one up and wow it was heavy! as was the price tag $785. not sure i want something that hefty. Still can't locate a Rossi. would rather buy and fine tune for the money they cost. Plus its going to get used and not sit in the safe.

Boolit Master
    No info on the Rossi. Have several original Win 92s.

I know the 94 Marlin 357 carbine pre-safety standard bbl length is (was) 18.5". It seems very handy for me and not overly short or heavy or long or bulky. Ballistically I don't think it gives up much to longer barrel lengths---- after all it's a pistol cartridge!

I see quite a few of them on GB and they get lots of bidding action so apparently they are popular (for a reason ya think?) so are not cheap. Probably in the rifle type cartridges like the 30-30, I prefer a little longer barrel, but the 18.5" seems to work well for the pistol length. I have no problem with mine out to about 100 yards for shooting paper or hitting small metal plates. Easy to load down to 38 Spl levels.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master

I have a Marlin in 357 mag with a 18.5 inch barrel and i really like it ! mine has a aimpoint red dot sight as i cant see the iron sights any more .
    As a general rule i like short barreled rifles i currently have 3 other rifles with barrels shorter than
    20" and ive owned 3 or 4 others in the past . there just so handy!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    If you ever even think you MIGHT shoot in Cowboy Action matches then stick with the 20". The 16 only holds 9 1/2 rounds of .38Spl and obviously even less of .357Mag. The 20 holds 10 rounds of .357Mag.

Even if it's not a big deal for you it'll make the gun far more marketable later on if you should decide to sell it as you'll be looking at the whole cowboy community as well as others.

There's been lots of reports by folks of somewhat iffy wood to metal fits and less than smooth actions lately. The pictures posted of these issues show that there may be some validity to the complaints from what I've seen. I would suggest that you buy where you have a chance to inspect the rifle you are buying before putting down your money.

Wood fit is one thing. Action slicking up is another. The good news on that aspect is that the info for the DIY'ers is out there and well done. Or if you are not a DIY'er for this sort of stuff then a basic slicking up job by a smith shouldn't cost you more than about 1 to 1.5 hours of labour. Of course this is if you find you even think it needs it.

My suggestion would be to shoot it a while then buy the slicking up job for a birthday present to yourself. When slicked up to the basic level the gun becomes silky smooth. I know it does because it's not just me that has found this. I've had a lot of folks comment on how nice the gun is to cycle and numerous offers to buy it. This is partly the work I did. It's mostly the brilliance behind the Winchester '92 design.
    9 1/2 rounds?

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on what you are doing with it. If your cowboy action shooting or target shooting then probably the 20in. If your hunting the swamps and brush in northern New England like I did then the 16in is very nice and you never notice the shorter barrel except when your trying to bust through the cedar or hemlock.

I have marlins, the .44 is 20" and the .357 is 18". I like the 20" better, and I'm a fan of short handy rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    9 1/2 rounds?
    Yep, we had to cut the last one apart to get the half to fit. Took a while to figure out if we should put in the part with the primer or the other part with the bullet and dribbling powder....

No doubt if I were getting a 92 to carry around or just for fun plinking I'd likely go with a .44Mag and 16 inch barrel. It would be a superb camp or wood protection rifle that slings easily on the shoulder and is compact enough to pack around well without hitting ever little thing that I walk past. Even for the cowboy action use I really wanted that 16 to work. But sadly it just didn't quite hold enough to do the job.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    My thoughts on this. How good is your eyesight and how long are you planning on keeping this gun. The reason I ask is as we get older our eye sight does not allow us to focus as well close up and a longer sight radius will help with iron sights. With a scope no problem on barrel length, just balance and weight.

I like my Marlins especially the older ones that are drilled and tapped for both scope and receiver sights.
    Doc, that analysis of yours about eyesight is right on. I bought my Rossi in the 16 inch version. Now, after a couple of years, and a couple of pairs of bifocals later, I wish I'd gotten the 20 inch.

I just picked up a pre-safety Marlin in .357 yesterday. It has the 18" barrel, I chompin at the bit to try it out. The p/o drilled holes through the stock and fore end to tie his sling on with nylon cord, when I saw that I about puked in my socks. Anyone have a decent stock set they let go?

Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    Doc, that analysis of yours about eyesight is right on. I bought my Rossi in the 16 inch version. Now, after a couple of years, and a couple of pairs of bifocals later, I wish I'd gotten the 20 inch.
    Based on this finding we'll all either need to shift to using scopes or start shopping for 36 to 48 inch long barrels so we can get the front sight out there far enough....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    Na just change the length of pull and you will look like a 80 Lb. kid shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Based on this finding we'll all either need to shift to using scopes or start shopping for 36 to 48 inch long barrels so we can get the front sight out there far enough....
    I dread the day! I'll have to start using my muzzle loader for everything! So far though, I'm still good to go with 20, 24, and 26 inch leverguns. I've only got one bolt action rifle--a 7mm08 and it has a scope. I suppose when the time comes I'll start using that.

I have the two extremes: a 24" oct. in 45LC, and a 16" round barrel in 44mag. The short barrel is great for carrying when hunting in thickets and patches of mountain laurel. Unfortunately, sight distance has become a problem over the last year as my eyes have decided to show their age, so I have installed a 2x scout scope on the barrel of the 16". Oh well, can't stop time. At least the tang sight on the 24" is still visible.

Boolit Master
    That is why they invented peep sights.

I much prefer a 20 or 24 inch barrel for any serious distance with the 357mag and a 158gr boolit with a gas check. A2400 or H110...

The 2400 still has burn out of the 20 and H110 works in my 24 inch barreled Rossi.

I have tried the flex tip from hornady but find that my barrels don't like them. My Ruger Blackhawk loves the ftx, though.

I can get over 1500 fps from my rifles with hollow points and they keep 500 ft-lbs at 50 yards. I took down a spike buck with the ranch dog mold from a group buy long ago.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried some of these and put them on all of my lever guns that I use for hunting.

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ghts&sID=rifle

I like the basic Marble's tang mounted peep site. The windage adjustment is a nice feature. Plus it comes with 3 different size aperatures. Midway has these in stock.

I am not a fan of Marbles new improved version with taller post options. Some say they are a little flemsy.
    http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang.html

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like my 1894 with 18.5" tube. It wears a Williams 5D receiver sight and Redfield Sourdough front. Too much fun!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Rossi `92's, a 45 Colt with an octagonal stainless 20" barrel and a .357 with a 24" octagonal barrel. I find the 20" is much better balanced than the 24"

As for eyesight problems with iron sights, invest in a set of `EyePal`shooting aids, they certainly took years off my eyesight, enabling me to see both sights and the target clearly.
    ukrifleman.