Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gettin Into Trouble With Alox

Boolit Master
    Hey 44 man, I came from Illinois and the reason the cars rust so easily back there is because they use salt on the roads-c'mon now! I don't care what you coat a car with, if you run it on salted roads, it's going to rust. I was also in the USN. Run a ship in salt water and it rusts! That's why the saying, "If it moves, salute it and if it doesn't, paint it. It's salt old buddy, will just about rust plastic! I went up toAlaska and was surprised to see so many old cars in such great condition in Fairbanks. They don't use salt on the roads mainly because it doesn't do any good against that kind of cold. It is true that Alox smokes like the devil but never had leading with it. Used it in .444 all day long testing out mild-medium loads from 1200-1800 fps and had no lead at the day's end. Shot a few undersized commercial cast though and got lead like crazy. Use the stuff in M-1 carbine at close to 1700 fps and never ever a problem. Cleaned out gas system after 400 rounds and had a little carbon is all.

I'll be out at the Kuna range outside of Boise tomorrow smoking it up with my alox lubed carbine boolits and Ranch Dog .380's and some Felix lubed .357. I know how to make the stuff work apparently and if it works, it ain't broke and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    When I first started out with casting for 45 acp and 38 special, Alox did exactly what it was supposed to. Cheap, easy and no expensive equipment to invest in. The boolits shot fine. A little smokey but I was proud of myself for a sucessful adventure. I was shooting a pop cans 15 to 20 yards away, no accuracy requirements. Last year I shot my 1911 in the local USPSA events with the 45/45/10 lube.

If I was hunting at 50-100 yards or using a higher pressure/velocity cartridge I would definitely go a different route lube wise.

To the OP, Size them and shoot them. I have had friends think that I didn't have any lube on my boolits, while they were trying to fill the lube grooves on there boolits. I know how smokey Alox can be if you put it on to thick