Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Fox Double Stock Help

Boolit Buddy

Fox Double Stock Help

My Dad has an old fox sterlingworth that is in need of a new butt stock. I beleive this stock to have been a replacement. had an AYA on the butt plate and the side of the stock where the sideplates would be is thinner than the receiver and built up with what looks like some sort of epoxy filler. Dad used this gun for years as it was and the stock was a bit loose but still functional when he sold it to my uncle. My uncle had it for a number of years and somehow broke off a good size chunk off the top of the stock where it meets the receiver near the top lever.

The gun is not in good enough condition to really warrant a good stock replacement and reconditioning but it would be great to be able to put a new stock on it. even if its not perfect. At this point my only option would be to glue in a new piece of wood and shape to fit. My prefered method would be to find something to replace it. Maybe an old parts gun or similiar model with the same buttstock.

I guess I'm fishing for ideas or scources of parts. IF anyone has any advice or ideas I'd be glad hear it.
    My heart is in digging into a new peice of wood and fitting it but my schedule is not so willing and dad's far from a spring chicken.

Check fleabay.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Macon Gunstocks has new Sterlingworth buttstocks & forends, starting at $115 (stock) & $50 (FE).

http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/A...ngworth_c4.htm

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Whatever you do before dealing with Macon gun stocks do a review search, or just simply Google "Macon Gun Stocks"!!!! You will find that the BBB gives them an "F" rating and you will find links to another forum with a very lengthy thread with several irate customers, the reason for the BBB rating is quite apparent! You would do well to check these guys out thoroughly before sending them money or worse your gun!!!.
    Last edited by oldred; 03-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been doing business with Gunville Gun Stocks and find their pre-turned stocks very nice to work with.
    They have many more patterns than their web-site shows and will turn a stock off of your pattern.
    About the same price as Macon

Here's a link to the AH Fox stock:
    http://www.gunville.com/productDetails.aspx?prodid=84

They'll work with you and have patterns for the couple of different styles of pistol grip,,or do a straight grip if want to do a conversion on your gun.
    Wood upgrades available too.
    The Sterlingworth Model takes the same butt stock as the 'Graded' AH Fox doubles.

The forearm is different on Sterlingworth & Graded Fox extractor guns because of the latch systems.
    Different again on 12ga ejector guns
    Same on 16 & 20 ejector guns.

12 frame takes one size buttstock,,the 16 / 20 takes a smaller size.

But they were all hand fitted at least somewhat. So using a take-off stock from another gun as a replacement doesn't always work out well. Besides not being cheap,,they'll need work and you'll be lucky it it's oversized.
    Just as easy to fit up one of the pre-turned stocks and be done with it.

I wish he had a search function on the website,,maybe he does and I'm just not tecky enough to see it!

Anyway,,just another suggestion.

He also does business on Ebay selling the stocks under Silverhill1
    Last edited by 2152hq; 03-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Since we seem to be talking FSW here, I found the stock folks you listed. Found a repro butt plate on GunBroker and a few other parts from Numrich, GunBroker and Ebay. Last thing I need for my restoration is a rear action/stock screw. This is the one under the trigger guard.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Buddy
    Galazan's sells AH Fox action screws as a set (3) Top Tang, Trigger Plate, and the one you're looking for,,the Rear Tang Screw.
    http://www.csmcspecials.com/A_H_Fox_...ws_p/ps010.htm

Sometimes you can get an original new/old/stock from a parts dealer.
    Some searching on the Fox Collectors Forum,,especially in the Restoration section can sometimes lead to a source of parts.
    http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/phpBB3/index.php

Boolit Buddy

Thanks. That's a couple of sources I hadn't found yet.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Mold