Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Marlin 336 30.30 scope placement

Marlin 336 30.30 scope placement

Question on the mounts. I have a 336 30.30... it has inherited a Redfield 2x7x33 scope. I plan on using the Warne Quick Disconnect rings. However.... in order to keep the scope from being too far to the rear.... which base would work and put the scope forward enough to have good eye relief? I have been to Warne and looked up all manner of mounts.... but now I am confused as to which would extend the scope properly. This scope is 11.3" in length. Anybody out there already confronted this issue? I have located a MED Warne QD ....but I was wondering if anyone has used the LOW Warne QD with a variable scope of this size.....
    Any input appreciated.....

Scope should be mounted so that it is on when you point the rifle. You should not have to scrunch up to get a clear picture. One reason folks think they need see through rings and removable scopes for iron is that they want to use too much scope and they don't mount them to fit. So whatever you use for rings see to it that they fit in that manner.

DP

Boolit Master
    Don't know what the weaver number is for their base but in fooling around with marlins have found it to be by far the easiest way for scope mounting and use weaver rings. Biggest scope I ever used on a marlin was a lyman all american 6x. Best laugh I ever had was when a gent went to our range with one of the 50mm front bell scopes. Had to use extra high rings to mount it. Saw the 6x on my 336 and asked where he could get one. They don't make them anymore so go look through gunbroker or other auction house was my reply. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Big fan of the Weaver base, always my first choice along with Burris Zee rings. Really like that Redfield 2-7 as well. A fair bit smaller than a full-sized scope, looks right at home on a 336.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always felt that the Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope was the best looking and functional scope on the 336 frame. It also gives a large amount of eye relief for fast use in thick cover.

Sold my Marlin with a scope, uses a fixed 4 power 30mm objective mil dot scope.
    First time my friend shot it, he hit 6 out of 6 at the 200 yard gong.
    Its in his safe now.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I have secured a Weaver two part base for trial and error. The Warne QD rings will be here on the 19th. Just placing the scope over the mounts gives me some hope it will be fine. Crossing my fingers.

The original mount base that was on this rifle when I bought it used was in bad shape. One of the cross slots was chewed up pretty good. Anyway, the Redfield 2x7x33 will give these old tired eyes some help.

I purchased an inexpensive BSA 3x12x40 from the LGS where I found this Marlin and it turned out to be "worthless". Having done my due diligence on scopes for the poor man here and elsewhere I have learned a great deal on "less expensive" glass and entry level scopes.

A gentleman at the range who was mentoring me awhile back on scopes told me he had glass for 1000 yards or so and it was very, very expensive. I think this guy owned every caliber of rifle you could imagine. I never saw him shoot the same one twice. All scoped and with medium to high dollar glass. He said if you are going to shoot out to two or three hundred yards.... that expense glass was not a must have and starting around $200 you could find some very good quality scopes that were quite satisfactory unless you exceeded those yardages. Then the expensive glass would really pay off. Anyway, this is a 30.30 and having said that the Redfield will do a fine job for what this rifle does best. In my opinion.... that is shooting cast boolits!

I noticed that several people have mentioned fixed power scopes in this thread. I have also drifted towards them and find myself with several fixed power models now and love them more and more. I actually don't use the variable feature much anyway... I turn it up to max and leave it there usually. I think on this 2x7x33 Revolution the max power is actually around 6.5 and it seems just right to me.

Well, I digress and talk too much. Thanks to each and everyone with input and thoughts on this issue. I will report back when I get the Warne rings mounted up and see what the eye relief looks like. I think it will be fine at this point.

Scope now mounted. All is okay. Used the med Warne QD rings. Low would have been a problem due to the hammer clearance. Thanks to all.