WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 27 of 130 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I do not think you will EVER see any wear as PC seems to wear off of the keys that I have coated with GLOW IN THE DARK to help an OLD man find them when coming home late at night.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have a hard time believing that PC would be more abrasive on a steel bore than copper. Someone has posted in this thread that their velocities were higher with the PC opposed to jacketed. That leads me to believe that there is less friction in the barrel. Less friction = less wear??

My concern is if there are any nasties released into the air when firing PC'ed boolits. Outdoors wouldn't be a problem but extended indoor sessions, not sure.

Boolit Man
    I doubt that burning PC is "nasty" in anything other than odor - which it is. Not any more than any of the other nasties floating in the air in an indoor range anyway.

Boolit Bub
    Don't know if velocity or pressure is the limiting factor but I had another good day at the range. In 500 S&W with lead hardness in the 10-12 range I upped it to 1153fps at 29700 psi according to quickload and got no leading. Thought I had some leading but 2 passes with a bore snake removed it so it must have been residue. Nice and shinny now! I like trail boss and unique but man are they dirty.

Boolit Buddy
    I think you will all enjoy this:
    Today i casted and PCd a bunch of 40's and while PCing, i dropped my pan on the ground. (luckly no bullets were on there) well there was some dirt on the pan and when i started to push down the aluminum foil, there were tiny raised spots where the dirt was. this got me thinking so i went to the sand pile, spread out some sand over the pan and pressed the foil down on it. this created hundreds of tiny bumps that the bullets could sit on. worked out great! the ammount of paint flange that i had was cut way down. worth a try for ya. kinda like putting salt on your napkin to keep your glass from sticking to it.

Boolit Buddy
    It just gets better and better.

Good idea.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ItZaLLgooD View Post
    My concern is if there are any nasties released into the air when firing PC'ed boolits. Outdoors wouldn't be a problem but extended indoor sessions, not sure.
    Only prior to curing (in the powder state) does PC have anything "bad" in it. There are some agents that can cause cancer, but once cured are inert. Firing them doesn't change that cured state either.

shot ~250 40SW PCd today, got a little leading due to incomplete coating and some shaving when seating. Knew I had some bad ones but shot em anyway. ~ 50 base coated SWC TL in 2". Some leading, maybe because they are FB and the edge doesn't get coated thick enough? ~30 TC coated nose, in 2" @ 7 yds. 6 flyers in the 6 ring, probably me, maybe shaved. Little disappointed with the leading but the accuracy stays good. Alloy is 1%Sb/Pb and a tinch of Cu, they are hard but I don't know the BHN. Whe I coat them they look like they are completely covered, but after cooking they have some light/bare spots. Have to really work on that.

so i showed this thread to the female, and she is getting me a PC gun and oven so she can have pink boolits!!
    gonna be awhile but i will be posting here, interested to see how far this can go.

27 pages took awhile to get through but was well worth it

Boolit Mold

This may have been suggested but a vision of how to get perfectly coated pills keeps popping into my head..

Create a grid of nails say finishing nails or pins and drill the bullet heads like you would hollow points but much smaller ( or big if HPs are your goal ) keeping the drilled holes in close tollerance with the pins then fit the bullets on the grid pins and carry on.

Anyone see possible issues with this method?
    Last edited by 452460; 03-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    How are you going to control the consistency of the lead REMOVED?

On a 223-5 size boolit that is critical.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Got to shoot the 30-30 today with good results. Hadn't cleaned it since Thanksgiving. RD311170, PC'd, 13 PB,14 PB, 15 GC 2400, 170 CL for reference ( in that order). No leading I can see with a light. Accuracy was better than PB with my regular lube - these were coated good on the bases. 14 PB gave the best results but all were acceptable to me, no rear bag & gusty wind on the back.
    Attachment 63390Attachment 63391vertical group with CL makes me think it was cleaning out any lube in the bbl, high shots were first, then settled down. Time to load up a bunch around 14 gr and try for best load. I did notice I need to seat a tinch deeper, had some jamming into the lands due to thickness of PC.
    Last edited by popper; 03-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    popper
    If those targets were shot at 100 yards that is pretty darn good starting out.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    How are you going to control the consistency of the lead REMOVED?

On a 223-5 size boolit that is critical.
    I would make up a jig for the drill press and set depth. should have also said I was thinking along the lines of the 45

Boolit Mold
    Its amazing the stuff you can learn on this forum. Thanks for posting! I make my own jigs and coat them now. This is a really neat idea.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the nonstick aluminum foil idea! I had an idea I just tried out to add to that. I literally taped some bent fishing hooks to a pair of insulated pliers to see if this idea worked and it did. I used the points to hold the bullet and then sprayed them getting a full 360 degree coat. I sprayed into a cardboard box so I can recover all the overspray and hopefully reuse it. After spraying I carefully placed them on the nonstick aluminum foil lined pan The points are so small that when the powder melts and flows you cant tell where I held it. With the nonstick aluminum foil it only took a small twist and they come off. The only not so good is the bases are not coating so well. I will have to try another batch tomorrow with a heavier coat on the bases.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-07_20-25-35_288.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	63396

Boolit Buddy
    I am sure you thought of this, but be careful not to get shocked by the gun. I got accidentally zapped by my harbor freight gun, it was worse that any electric fencer I have encountered!

Boolit Bub
    Good point, that was the reason for the insulating pliers. I started out hooking the ground to the pliers but it make no difference so I just left it off.

Boolit Buddy
    I've gotten the gun a little to close to the boolits while spraying. The spark and crack made me realize I didn't want get zapped.