Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joined the "I shot my chrony" club

I am hoping I don't join said club but I have to chony some shotgun loads soon and I know those can be bad news.

Glad you didn't destroy it.

I got my chrony that I'd had for about ten years, when I got my first ar15... seems the bbl is a little lower than the sights

I've done it, once. The chrony I shot was giving me fits and in frustration and lacking patience I finally pulled one low. Hated that frak'n chronograph. The image of it and the tripod going *** over tea kettle makes me laugh though.

when chronys act up they need obedience training!!!

Boolit Master

Make sure and buy extra skyscreens when you order them. You will eventually use them. I belong to the club also.

Boolit Buddy

In addition to listening to NPR...

I blasted my Ohler 35P the first time out. It really was my last string of fire when I drilled two of the skyscreens with my CB 44mag 275gr HP's. right before that cylinder full I'd been clocking the cup points at about 1400fps. the most amazing thing is that the unit worked after. big chunks missing from the third screen. .432" holes in the middle one. Boy was I glad I'd spent $600 on my chronograph.

Wait a sec, I just shot $600 worth of test equipment? Well any way, it still worked, and for less than $80 I was able to make it look like new and have some spare parts.

Maybe Chronographs are like WWII bomber crews and should be retired after surviving 25 sorties?
    Freedom in America was not won with a "registered" firearm, nor was it a gift of the ruling class.

Boolit Master

Have not shot the guts in mine yet, but had a real scare a few years ago. I was testing out some 45-70 loads with surplus powder. Fired and watched the Chrono and tripod go over. When I picked it up and looked at it I saw the front was indented with marks that matched the IMR 5010 that I was using. Kept that Crono for a few more years and then sold it to a fellow who always wanted it, and bought a new one with a printer.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

I tried to join but failed. Maybe this year.

Boolit Master

I'm still using my 2 old Chrony's. Need to make some new cardboard shade holders. Newest one took a 265gr .41 bullet to the back timer last month.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    There are two types of chrony owners, those who have shot their chrony and those who WILL shoot their chrony.

You beat me to it!!!

I guess I'm a Shade Trimmer 2nd Class? I hit the support twice. I have replaced with wood dowels (and epoxied the socket), but the plastic straw suggestion may have some merit!

It is amazing how easily you can forget to check alignment and position of your Chrony before you start shooting!

I wonder who holds the record for the Most Chronys Shot? Not a record that I would want/could afford to hold.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Bub

I blew mine away with a 180 gr self cast .40 S&W. It was ugly

Banned

Now we need a "Chrony Killer" usergroup label........

Haven't shot mine, YET, but I've shot AT it a whole bunch.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I really hate these threads. It just reminds me that I have not shot my chrony. . . YET.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty's Retired View Post
    No, there is a third kind. Those who have set up their Chrony's and watched their nephew with a brand new scoped Mini14 place a bullet right through the digital screen because said nephew did not tell you he had not sighted in his scope yet. But my fault, because I did not ask.
    Ouch.....that sucks. You didn't even get a chance to kill it yourself! Times are bad when a man is denied the right to kill his own chrony.

Love Life
    a 175 gr SMK fired at 2600 FPS has enough killing power to kill a chrony with one shot. The 8x57 firing a 170 gr rn over a max dose of IMR4895 or BLC-2 has equal killing power on the elusive chronograph. I have not tested handguns...yet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Ouch.....that sucks. You didn't even get a chance to kill it yourself! Times are bad when a man is denied the right to kill his own chrony.
    Yeah, it was pretty surreal when it happend tho. I had the Chrony mounted on a camera tripod. His first shot, the whole thing rocked back on the two rear legs and just kind of tilted on backwards real slow and fell on over. My nephew and I looked at each other and couldn't help but laugh. I said, "You Got it man!" That was the only thing I thought of at the time.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty's Retired View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty surreal when it happend tho. I had the Chrony mounted on a camera tripod. His first shot, the whole thing rocked back on the two rear legs and just kind of tilted on backwards real slow and fell on over. My nephew and I looked at each other and couldn't help but laugh. I said, "You Got it man!" That was the only thing I thought of at the time.
    I don't know why but I just thought of C3-PO screaming "I'm Doomed!!!!"
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

One of my problems has been testing things like shotguns and muzzleloaders with sabots. The wad from a shotgun shell took out one skyscreen. A sabot from my muzzleloader took out another. I don't even use sabots. But I had a few and thought I would play around with them.

Boolit Master

There really oughta be a T-shirt for Club Chrony members....

Boolit Buddy
    I've been too afraid to take my new chronograph to the range. I'm thinking that I'm going to put one of those 5-gal buckets full of shredded tires in front of it before the first time out...