Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger alaskan

Boolit Buddy

ruger alaskan

how are they can you get any good groups? i been looking for one in 454 or 480 i found one in 44 mag may have to get

Boolit Buddy
    They're supposed to be as good or better than the shooter.
    That is, if you can handle it, it'll put them where you want them.

Banned

the 454 i had would do 2 inch at 25 yards with loads it liked.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a 7.5 454 shoot 2'' at 100 and a 500 s&w 10.5 1.5 at 100

Boolit Buddy
    i have a 7.5 454 shoot 2'' at 100 and a 500 s&w 10.5 1.5 at 100
    Yeah, but look at your sight radius difference.
    With that short barrel on the Alaskan, control will be tougher.
    I have a 8" S&W XVR 460 mag that I'm expecting some tight groups out around a 100 yards after I get a chance to spend some time with it.

Banner Sponsor

If you can find a 480 they go for around $1200ish

Boolit Master

My .480 Alaskan with heavy cast loads will do about 3 inch`s at 25 yards its not a target hand gun . but it sure is cool!!

Boolit Buddy
    Still good shooting with a 2 1/2 inch barrel at that range.
    Damn sure get the job done they were designed for.

Boolit Master
    Man, this is one gun I've always wanted. The 480 would be my favorite but they are near impossible to find.

Banned

cool thing to do with the 454s is have the cylinder cut for moon clips. You then can shoot 454s or 45 colts with or without clips and 45acps with smith model 25 clips. Ill add one more thing about the 454 i had set up like that. It was the easiest shooting 454 when it came to recoil that i ever shot. That is if you can consider full house 454s tame in any gun. I once shot a round of ppc with mine. They cleared the line though as nobody wanted to stand next to me with it firing full power 454s. Believe it or not i shot second in masters that day with it so they can be shot and do shoot fairly well. Guys sure chuckled over those moon clips loaded with those big 454s though!

I'm A Honcho!
    Saint Jiminey but you sure like your sixguns a bit on the loud and rude side!!!!

Boolit Mold
    I shoot a 310 wnfp and it does about 3 inches at 25 yds, however; after 30 yds i have had some keyholing with that bullet. Could be I'm not pushing it fast enough i suppose. I don't have chronograph but, it is not a super stiff load.

Banned

Barrel length has little bearing on accuracy when you match a boolit and velocity.
    Only sight radius with open sights will be a problem.

Boolit Master
    I just found out ruger is coming back out with the six round 480. Going to start saving my pennies and get one ordered from my local ffl. I hope they got the sticky extraction problems figured out this time.

Boolit Master
    I've never shot one of the alaskan SRH's as IMHO they are too much of a good thing, or rather not enough of a good thing. Ruger should have gone with a 5" barrel, it would be packable and shootable. A good friend with vast big bore handgun experience got a chance to shoot a 454 Alaskan and he said it's an incredibly whippy pistol.

The 44 mag Alaskan is a different gun, it's a 4" barreled redhawk, which makes sense.

If you want a shorter barreled SRH just get one in the caliber you want and have a good gunsmith cut it down and re-fit the front sight. SRH's with the right ammo are mechanically capable of incredible accuracy. How well you can shoot it is up to you. My 480 will shoot 5 shot 1" groups at 50yds day in, day out. I can't shoot that well unless scoped from a solid rest, but the gun will do it.

Boolit Master
    "The 44 mag Alaskan is a different gun, it's a 4" barreled redhawk, which makes sense."
    http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...an/models.html
    Don't know where you got your info but according to ruger the "ALASKAN" 44 Mag is a 2.5 inch gun just like the 454 and both of the 44 Mag Alaskans the local gun shop had were 2.5 inches .

Banned

44mag#1 is right. theres both a 2.5 inch alaskan and then theres also a 4inch redhawk on the older standard redhawk frame.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    I've never shot one of the alaskan SRH's as IMHO they are too much of a good thing, or rather not enough of a good thing. Ruger should have gone with a 5" barrel, it would be packable and shootable. A good friend with vast big bore handgun experience got a chance to shoot a 454 Alaskan and he said it's an incredibly whippy pistol.
    That said I went ahead and solved that issue
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

as to heavy recoil or being wippy ill say this. My 454 alaskan was the softest shooting 454 i ever shot. Could be that even with a 2.5 inch barrel the supers are on the heavy side, could be that some of it is due to the rubber grips but id guess mostly its because with its short barrel the bullet has a relitively fasts dwell time in the barrel and doesnt have as much time to actually cause recoil. I know that my FA gun had substantialy more recoil with the same loads. Now muzzle flash and noise were another thing. Pretty intense out of that 2.5 inch barrrel, especially when using slow powders like 110. Another thing i noticed and have noticed the same out of my 4 inch 500 linebaughs and other short barreled heavy kickers is that they tend to print light and heavy loads close together. More so then a longer barreled gun. Again id bet its due to the short dwell time. At 25 yards mine would put full power 454s and 45acps withing 2 or 3 inches of each other and full power 454s and mid power 454s about right on top of each other.

Boolit Master

LLoyd, I think that moon-clipped .454 will also use .45 min mag........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek