Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cabela's review

Cabela's review

My order came into Cabelas a week ago and yesterday being warm and dry was a good day to make the road trip to get my 'in-store' pickup order. I'm about 2 hours from The Wheeling W. Va. Store, so the wife and I took off for Wheeling early morning. I liked walking into Cabelas and seeing all the animals everywhere and the fish in the huge tanks. First thing I did was hit the clearance items, but they were waaaay too expensive for what I thought a clearance item was. $54.00 deer skin gloves as a clearance price, down from $79.00 ??? whoa ............. sticker shock !!

I looked around for a bit at clothes and I was really disappointed in what I saw. Regular pants, shirts, hats and jackets, all with tags that said 'Made in China', or 'Made in Banglasesh', or 'Made in Sri Lanka'. Nothing of any quality, just all overseas trashy slave-made clothes filled the store everywhere. Even all the Woolrich clothes had 'Made in China' tags in all of them. I felt like I was in a way overpriced Walmart- China-mart store.
    So I picked up my store pick up order and a bought a 'Made in China Cabelas 400 bullet tumbler' as my Harbor Freight tumbler is in disrepair after 5 years of hard use, but fixable. (Harbor freight is chinamart)

Just my own personal disappointment that Cabelas, K-mart, Wally World and Save-Alot are in the same league when it comes to many of the products they had hanging on the racks ..... It's just Cabelas charges more I guess .... Because that are a brand name place. Cabelas wanted $9.99 on sale from $14.99 for a bag of Jack Links jerky ...... That exact same bag of jerky is $3.48 at Menards .......
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found some good quality clothing at Cabelas. I own much from them.
    If you were expecting to find top of the line, made in USA clothes for 29.99 you are expecting something that doesn't exist.
    As for the jerky, it is sold to people who are making an impulse purchase. Sound business practice. Ever wonder why stores put stuff by the register? To SELL you something.

I would say that based upon what I see at the local Cabelas that their business model is working well. They might just know what they are doing. They are in business to make money, they are doing just that. Where is the downside?

Boolit Master
    Cabela's is a multi-BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS. They're doing LOTS of things right. I've never seen any business take better care of their customers after the sale than Cablea's. You have a choice where you spend your money. If you don't like Cabela's, simply don't spend your money there. They do sell products made overseas and yes, lots of it is made in China. Why? Because a lot of the products they sell simply aren't made in the USA anymore. Cabela's isn't at fault for that. A lot of American companys moved their production overseas to reduce cost. Cabela's has to buy what's available. Even at that, I don't own any better hunting cloths, boots, or related products than that which Cabela's sells. As far as the jerky goes, why'd you buy it if it was so expensive? I'd have simply let it sit there and gone out the door. I get pretty tired of people using these forums to air their pet peeves or imagined wrongs.

Boolit Master

Cabela's prices MIGHT be a little higher than some places but their customer service is great. I have returned several things that I was unhappy with "A year later" and they replaced them with no questions asked.

Larry

On Heaven's Range

Cabela's has certainly treated me well over the years since I immigrated from Canada in '97.

On one occasion,(living 180 miles from the nearest store) I was meeting NVCurmudgeon in Reno for a fishing trip to SoCal with Deputy Al.

ON the Internet, I identified a $180 spinning rod, on-sale for about half-price. I printed the listing and took it with me to the store. They had the rod in stock, and the salesman told me to show the internet print-out to the cashier. I did so, and was given the sale price with NO hassle whatever.

Third-world manufacture is a fact of life, particularly in garments. I'm wearing an "Orvis" 100%-wool sweater, marked "Vintage Upland Collection Since 1856". In the fine print: "Made in China" It's a lovely warm, soft sweater, beautifully-made, and I like it a great deal. Other Orvis products are equally-nice and I just quit worrying about it. I still buy US production by choice, but if there's NO competitive merchandise, we are stuck. Besides, most of this type of thing comes to me as gifts, and we all know about "gift horses."
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy

I like Cabela's ... in fact, I like Cabela's so much that I was really bummed when I learned they were going to build one just a couple of miles from my house. See, my Cabela's trips entail flying from Broomfield, CO to Sidney, NE ... a fun little 55 minute flight that includes a radio call 10 miles out to

"Sidney traffic, Dakota 03Q 10 miles to the SW, landing runway 31, Sidney",

whereas you're greeted with

"Good morning, Dakota. Would you like the Cabela's shuttle?"

"Yes, please!"

"It will be here waiting when you get here."

If Cabela's ended up right next door, what excuse would I have to come up with to burn 100 octane low lead fuel? As it turns out, the City of Wheat Ridge is rumored to have made it so difficult for Cabela's to build, that they ditched their plans for that location, but are supposedly building two stores in the Denver area - one in Thornton and one in Castle Rock.

Cabelas prices are on the steep side, but their Bonus Points programs is great--bought a lot of reloading items for little to no money. If you shop online, their http://www.bonuspointsnetwork.com can help you earn points faster. As another positive note on Cabelas, their price match is great. They knocked off $60 from their price to match another store's listing for the Ruger SP101, I recently purchased.

Boolit Buddy
    Their sales and bonus points do help. Great customer service.