Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    I love Lee dies and their moulds. I guess that makes me weird.
    Hey, TheGrimReaper, Weird? Maybe! But in my book it makes you an economical ammo RELOADER and a BOOLIT shooter, too! I've been using Lee stuff since about 1984 and I have never had any more problems than with other companies' stuff.

rl 1,166
    Last edited by Linstrum; 12-15-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

I only have a few Lee products. I must say, I have had zero problems with any of them. Are there moulds my favorite? No. But they work, and they work well. For the money, Lee is hard, very hard to beat.

My buddy is just getting into casting, reloading. I suggested Lee everything to start with (to cut his teeth)
    Price is right, and if he decides he is not that much into the whole process, he is not out a whole sh*# pile of cash.
    Just my two cents.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I have most of the popular brands of loading equiptment and have found Lee to make good stuff for the most part. I have several Lee molds and like the 6cav molds and the 2cav pistol molds. I have yet to get one of Lees nose rider rifle molds that has a nose big enough to ride anything but air. Would it be difficult to make a 309 mold that had a .300 nose instead of .298? My .338 mold is about .002 under on the nose as well. I have dies from Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, C&H, Dillon, Hornady and maybe others and I like Lees as well as any. Thier primer pocket cleaner is cheesy but so is the lyman and the rcbs brush things. The Sinclair primer pocket uniformer is the best pocket cleaner I have seen. But they should be at $25 per size. I like the Lee hand press and have no problem sizing the largest cases (416Rem) with it. Sitting down I put my hands on the handles then between my knees so I can squeeze with arms and legs. I have a Lee hand primer and although I don't use it a lot, it has worked very well. I have never used Lees cast classic presses but they look very well built and if I didn't already have a Rockchucker I probably would get the Lee instead. Although some of Lees stuff is a bit cheesy I think Lee deserves an atta boy for making entry level stuff at a very low price to help get some of us less fortunate started in reloading. My first loader was a Lee hammer job in 12Ga. I still have it as well as some very fond memories of hunts that would not have happened had it not been for cheap shells for my Rem M10 pump. I used wads I picked up at the trap club and washed in moms clothes washer and bought reclaimed shot. A box of 12Ga reloads would cost about $1.50 What I find curious about Lees molds is that many cast smaller than they should. I would much rather have a mold that cast a bit large than a bit small as it's easy to size them down but not so easy to size them up although I am working on that. Sometimes you pay more for quality and sometimes you pay more for a name than it's worth. With Lee, sometimes you get quality for less and sometimes you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    hey lets start a new one on Dillon. I bought a 650 would I buy another?? NO
    What do you want for it?

I have been really satisfied with most all of my Lee equipment so far. The safety scale works well enough if you're willing to futz with it, same for the PPM... I have other manufacturer's equipment and I feel like I got my moneys worth but with Lee I always felt like I got MORE than my money's worth.
    Tennessee... Patron state of shootin' stuff...

I do not care for either of Lee's progressive presses. I have tried both. Their single stage presses are great. The classic turret is fine. The safety scale is not fine. I almost exclusively use Lee dies except for a seating die in .357 magnum and one full length resizing die in .223. I have a Dillon Square Deal B that I load 9mm on (Dillon dies because the sdb will only use Dillon dies), A XL650 by dillon that I load .357 magnum and .223 on, a Lee Challenger Breechlock single stage (wore this out using it for something it wasn't designed for) and a Lee Classic Cast single stage (replacement for the challenger).

For the most part, I like Lee stuff. Just a few items I don't care for. I try Lee first. If I don't like it, I sell it and buy something else.

Boolit Master
    I'm in about the same place as most here, there is some stuff you simply can't beat Lee for, and you get far more than your money's worth. A primer pocket cleaner for $2.50 that works just as good as a $19 RCBS, and i can chuck it up in a drill? Heck yes! That is a tool that is worth more to me than it cost, i think i got a good tool for the money. $5 to setup each of my rifle calibers to trim cases? Heck yes! I used the shell holders to spin the cases and clean with steel wool at the same time before i had a case cleaner, saved me well over $100 in case trimmer and tumbler. I have a couple Loaders, i think they are fun little jobbers and will let me load in school (well, not IN school, lol) when i am in an apartment away from my loading bench.
    I do not care for the Breech Lock press, i have loaded alot of shells on my best friends, and i just prefer the smoother and more powerful stroke of my Rockchucker. Granted, he would not be able to have bought reloading gear if Lee didn't have the kit at the price point they do, and it loads just as good a shells as any, and i do like the Auto Prime system, i wish i could rig it onto my RC. Tha Classic Cast is a great press, and far above the Breech Lock in my eyes. The Safety scale is very sensitive, but not for me, too easy to bump off and kinda hard to read. Their casting tools, kits and moulds get alot of shooters into casting, and the push through sizing die is another example of a tool that is worth far more than what it costs, just based on money saved over a lube sizer.

Bottom line, I personally wouldn't go all Lee in my setup, and am not going to trade my RC for anything in this lifetime, however a Lee press would be just as welcome on my bench as a second press. I have RCBS, Lee, Lyman and Hornady tools in my kit, and that should tell you how i feel about brand preference! Yes, i love RCBS' customer service, when you buy a tool it is for life, but i think alot of their stuff is a bit crazy on the price. To be totally honest, i actually care the least for Hornady tools out of them all, but to each his own.
    I am not a Lee fanatic that will spout off the latest thing Lee is trying to sell, but i will certainly look at their products first when i need something. I also am not going to instantly bash Lee as soon as they come up in a thread, generally its the guy behind the tool that has more to do with how it works! Same goes for shooting Taurus revolvers, spin fishing instead of fly fishing, driving a hybrid car, drinking lite beer, i am not gonna jump on anybody for it, because we all have our own reasons for everything that shouldn't have to be explained to anybody else.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

Lee is the Herters of today without George and his BS.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Some of Lee's innovations are nothing but being different to be different. I have NO idea what those moronic O ring lock rings are supposed to accomplish. If you have never used anything but Lee I guess you would find the stuff ok. I have been loading far longer than Lee has made reloading dies and I fail to appreciate some of their features. The factory crimp die is excellent. I am one of the longest users of the Lee hand primer tools - the one with the screw in shell holder.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Some of Lee's innovations are nothing but being different to be different. I have NO idea what those moronic O ring lock rings are supposed to accomplish. If you have never used anything but Lee I guess you would find the stuff ok. I have been loading far longer than Lee has made reloading dies and I fail to appreciate some of their features. The factory crimp die is excellent. I am one of the longest users of the Lee hand primer tools - the one with the screw in shell holder.
    I remembe wearing out the Lee HandPrime tool with the screw in shell holder too. I rebuilt it by fitting a piece of aluminum beer can on top the the "connecting rod" to increase the upward motion of the priming mechanism. I had worn it so bad the primers weren't being seated fully. Alittle auto chasiss grease on the moving parts occassionally kept it going for years...Alittle hint if you wish to try. Not sure if parts for this one are available any more.afish4570

Boolit Buddy
    My molds, melter, sizers, and dies are Lee. They all work great.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a Lee fan, or a Lee basher. Most of my equipment is some other brand. Mostly RCBS, Redding, Dillon, or Sinclair. I have Lee trimmers for most all of my rifles. They work ok, no problems. My Lee universal decapping die is stronger than my much more expensive Sinclair die. Before I bought my Chargemaster, I used a powder trickler(?) and a set of Lee dippers for stick powder. I just started off with other brands, for no special reason. I've had few problems with any of my gear, and all were taken care of by the manufacturer. Lee owners do seem to be more defensive than others! Lightman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafe Covington View Post
    People generally forget what they started reloading with, guess bashing Lee justifies buying the real expensive equipment. Also it has been my experience alot [not all] just enjoy complaining.

Rafe
    It is the memory of what I started out with that influences what I buy now. I've used (1) Hornady, (2)Lyman, (21) RCBS, (3) Redding, (1) set of Lee dies, and a RCBS press. When I started casting I went with a Star Lubrisizer because it was a push through, and everything else was RCBS. The only thing I have had to replace was the set of Lee dies. Truth forces me to admit that I have gone through four Lee auto prime bodies. Since the number of reloads I've made is in six digits, I freely admit I've gotten more than my money's worth out of them.

Boolit Bub

Two quick points from a dyed in the Wool SAECO/ Redding guy... The Lee Hand primer tool is a must have for any reloader and the .43 Mauser dies I bought from them off the shelf at Midway at 1/6 the price for RCBS dies were a godsend. Same with the collet dies for 8 X 57 Mauser. I have a nice little 88 GEW sporter with a .318 barrel. Take a $25 set of Lee dies, polish the mandrel in a drill motor and you saved youself a $125 and a 90 day wait for other .318 dies. The collet bullet crimper is a grand device.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring also. 40 some years ago I bought a lee hand loader and in a year I replaced it all with RCBS equipment and never looked back. Back then money was no object to me I simply got what I wanted. 10 years ago, a back broke in three areas no income for awhile, operations and all the money gone and now disabled, I thank God for Lee products that allow me now to still stay in the game! And give credit to them for upgrading their products for the little guys. And I agree their crimper is great for cast boolits.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub
    I love Lees products. No problem with them for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of my equipment is Lee... Works for me and now I am teaching my kids how to reload.

Boolit Master
    I load for 14 calibres, I use a Lee Classic Turret Press and all my other stuff is Lee except for 1 RCBS bullet mould for my Type 38 Arisaka.
    I have to say, the RCBS mould produces great 140gn bullets but, it cost 3 times as much as any of my Lee bullet moulds, PLUS I had to purchase a set of handles for it (Lee) and the quality of the finished product is no better than the 6 Lee moulds I use. On top of this, the weight of an all steel mould and handles gets a bit much during a lengthy casting session. Give me Lee every time!
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master

Ever hear of "Tool Snobs"? I was a Heavy Duty Mechanic/Electrician for a large city for 25 years and saw first hand several "tool snobs". These are the guys that purchased tools based on price (highest), what tool company sponsored their favorite NASCAR or TV motorcycle builder, the flashiest/shiniest tools available, and rarely on plain fun****ionality. Any tool without "The Name" on it (Snap-on, MAC, Williams, etc.) was pure junk mainly because it is less costly and couldn't be any good (Craftsman, Proto, etc.). These tools were always kept clean and stored properly (some rarely used) and often kept visible for "show". Their tool boxes (small condos) could cost $6,000-$7,000, and most had a huge logo on them (candy apple red "Snap-On" in silver & gold or a picture of a chopper 5' long). Some of the toolboxes came with full stereo and even a micro-wave).

These are extremes but I see some of this thinking with reloading equipment. If it's not green (or blue) it couldn't possibly be any good. It doesn't cost as much as ____, so it's prolly junk. If it's the most expensive it's gotta be the best, right? My ____ is the best available ' cause that's what Joe Shooter from "Re-stuffin'" magazine uses. Read any reloading forum and you'll see this a lot, it is usually accompanied with severe "Lee Bashing" (the whipping boy of reloading equipment) and it doesn't have to be sensible or credible, 'cause it's often justified with "it's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it" kind of thinking/posting.

I'm not cheap when it comes to tools, I made my living with hand tools for mebbe 40 years, and was able to choose my tools on how they functioned/did the job as designed. I own Snap-On, MAC, even Craftsman and Harbor Freight hand tools just like I use RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Pacific, and yes even Lee reloading equipment 'cause they do the job they were intended to do...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    My loading bench is multicolored. That's all I have to say on the matter.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.