Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Did a little work at the range today

Did a little work at the range today

I raked a section of the pistol range . Took a hour and a half to gather this much .Marvin

Boolit Master

That's quite a haul! What do you mean "raked"? Sifted, perhaps, with a hardware cloth bottomed frame?

I sometimes gather up the lead under the steel pistol targets; just takes a few minutes to get 15 or 20 pounds, but that's all there is that I can just scrape up quickly. Most of my lead comes from the indoor pistol range, but that's a LOT of grimy work to get. (that'll be in April)

The brim is sand and full of bullets . I use a garden rake to rake the bullets down off the brim . Then i shovel them into a sift box . Marvin

Boolit Buddy
    Melloroadman, you have quite an ideal situation! Good haul!

Boolit Grand Master
    I would love sand berms. Ours are clay. I finger pick and my best day was 60 pounds. I just gather what I can easily find when I go out to shoot. Got 600 pounds last year.

It works well for me . Still take home a lot of sand and jackets which float to the top .Marvin

Banned

wow.
    i have to work real hard at it to get close to a 5 gallon bucket in a season.
    that's several trips and moving half a mountain over.
    plus picking off the ground around the steel targets.

Brings back memories of archaeology practical I&II back in college.. I gotta find a range where I can mine
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Acres View Post
    Melloroadman, you have quite an ideal situation! Good haul!

So true!!! I wish we had sand here. Our burms are dirt and rock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    So true!!! I wish we had sand here. Our berms are dirt and rock.
    Me too. I'm happy if I find 5 pounds. It's a public range and I don't want to dig in them so I pick up what I can scrape up with just a hand trowel.

Boolit Buddy
    What have you guys found to be the most efficient way to grab the stuff that is laying on the ground? We do quite a bit of steel matches and there is a good bit just laying on the ground but I have yet to really think of a way to gather a good bunch quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    That's quite a haul! What do you mean "raked"? Sifted, perhaps, with a hardware cloth bottomed frame?

I sometimes gather up the lead under the steel pistol targets; just takes a few minutes to get 15 or 20 pounds, but that's all there is that I can just scrape up quickly. Most of my lead comes from the indoor pistol range, but that's a LOT of grimy work to get. (that'll be in April)

Boolit Grand Master
    I just pick it up by hand. Goes pretty quick in my opinion. I like the low tech approach.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    What have you guys found to be the most efficient way to grab the stuff that is laying on the ground? We do quite a bit of steel matches and there is a good bit just laying on the ground but I have yet to really think of a way to gather a good bunch quickly.
    I carry a pointing trowel and some gallon freezer bags in my range bag. If I'm shooting plates and I am the only one there, I scrape up the lead under the targets and fill up a bag. If there are other shooters, I just wait until next time to get it.

Boolit Buddy
    I do have to remember to take bags etc. We have a multi bay section of the range that is busy on the weekends with matches in which much steel is shot but 95% deserted during the week so I could spend all day there and not disturb anyone or get in the way of another shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    I carry a pointing trowel and some gallon freezer bags in my range bag. If I'm shooting plates and I am the only one there, I scrape up the lead under the targets and fill up a bag. If there are other shooters, I just wait until next time to get it.

Boolit Man
    Mello, looks like you have a "gold" mine! good job

Yes I have been blessed .Marvin

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    We are having a big problem on our State Game lands pistol range in Archibald PA. The after hours brass scroungers have taken to mining the backstops for lead. Probably wouldn't be bad but this is coal mining regions so now that they have mined the soft berms from behind the backstops they have exposed the mine rock fill. Needless to say the last time I was there ( A light snow coating on the ground) & I was picking up my brass I found over 2 dozen spent bullets... that had left their tracks in the snow from ricochets! Not Good! To make the matters worse the PA Game commission has gone from using hard board backstops to light sheet rubber roof lining as a cost saving measure which puts the shooters in harms way even more. All calls fall on deaf ears! This is very troubling
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    I wish we had sand here. Our burms are dirt and rock.
    Same here. We're not allowed to mine the burms. I pick up what I can when down range setting up targets. Feels good to just get a handful.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to pick up several pounds each time I shoot.
    Once in a while I rake the berm and get more. Ours is clay, not as nice as the sand though.
    That was a really nice haul.

i work at a road department (cal trans) i look for lead at each intersection i work at , i put down thermoplastic stop and stop ahead stensils on the roadway , usually find 1-2 lead ww's ..... saving planet earth, and reloading fodder
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368