WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: three screw 357

Boolit Man

three screw 357

I found a 3screw 357 BH today at a local shop and it is confusing me. It is not converted but doesn't have the loading notch. If you hold the hammer back to where the notch should be the cylinder will free spin, but the notch is missing. It clicked at the safety notch, then at full cock, then another eighth of an inch later it would click again but not stop. No click at the loading notch.Is something messed up, or was it converted at one point and someone didn't swap all of the parts back over?

What would be a good price for it? The gun was in good shape except for missing some paint on the ejector rod housing.

Boolit Master
    Without examining it I fear your loading notch may have been broken. The fix is spendy, the notch has to be welded back into place. Somebody must have pulled the trigger when the hammer was on half notch, that breaks the notch off.

Any gunsmith can diagnos the problem but few will do the fix at a reasonable rate.

Your 3 screw isn't worth much until you get it fixed. Then it'll be a treasured 6-shooter.

Boolit Mold
    Agree, sounds like the hammer has a broken notch. Maybe you could try a want to buy ad on some of the gun forums for a old model hammer. Value ? about $300 as is.

Boolit Man
    I'm going to see if I can pick it up somewhere south of $300. Worst case scenario is having ruger convert it and end up with a $300 gun. Best case I get it fixed and have a sweet little revolver. Went and talked to them today but it was someone else that I haven't dealt with, when I told him what was wrong with it he decided they shouldn't sell it. the other guy I was talking to was a manager and was willing to deal with me, so I'll go in on Thursday and see what he says.

Boolit Master
    Check around for a old gunsmith that will do the job without you having to mortgage your pick up truck. The guns worth about $450.00 working, don't part with more money than will leave you investing more that $450.00 into having it working in your hands when it's all said and done. You'll really like having the 3 screw.

Boolit Man
    I already have a single six 3 screw and a 44mag super blackhawk three screw. That's why I am so interested in this one, I really like them.

Boolit Master
    I have a brace of Bearcats with the 3 screw configuration, a brace of 3 screw Blackhawks in .357 and a SBH 3 screw. I switched the grip frame of my SBH to a Old Army and had it fitted and blued with custom purpleheart grips with Ruger medalions and a 3 screw Blackhawk hammer. I love these guns but my son hogs the .357's and uses them exclusively at cowboy matches with full weight boolits I cast. The mold is some odd thing I picked up at a gunshow. It's a 3 cavity 150 gr RN mold from a manufacturere I don't recognize, but it casts great boolits. My son used the Bearcats at cowboy matches when he was a Buckaroo.

Boolit Master
    the hammers and other parts in the rugers are hard all the way through. so if the notch is broke you can cut it deeper with no problem. make shure you don't have a converson hammer in it.

Boolit Man
    It's not a conversion hammer, checked that out yesterday.

Boolit Man
    Would the hammer out of an old model single six be the same/fit? there are a couple on ebay for the single six, just not the blackhawk.

Could you send it to Ruger and get the conversion done? Isn't that free? Then you'd have a good working gun. Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    yes you could. but kind of defeats the purpose of buying an old model. it also cuts the value of the pistol. but then if that is the only way to get it shooting. if you do send it back take all the old parts out and keep them. ruger no longer sends them back.