WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: what size Redding neck bushing for .308 cast bullets??

Question what size Redding neck bushing for .308 cast bullets??

Hey Guys,

Just starting to cast for my .308, currently I use Lake City brass and use a Redding "S" bushing sizing die that acccepts the whatever neck size bushing you choose. Currrently when loading SMK168s in Lake City brass I use a .336 size neck bushing gives me the -.002 neck tension I prefer.

Soooooooooo ??? if I'm loading a sized .311 cast bullet in the same brass....am I to assume I should use a .339 neck bushing...obviously the Sierra jacketed bullet can take a bit more abuse during the seating operation... I'm hoping to avoid damaging my pretty lead projectiles during bullet seating.(yeap got a Lee expander die too to just sligthly bell the case too)

I coming up with the .339 by thinking I currently use .336 bushing for jacketed, my lead projectile is +.003 larger than my Sierra MKs, so .336 + .003 = .339 ??? size neck bushing..all using the same Lake City brass.
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    That should work. Make sure you use a M-Die that is .309"-.310" to give you the final neck tension along with a small bell on the case mouth.

Boolit Master

I use the Redding Bushing neck die to load ott6 and a few others, I use a max .002 press fit of boolit in case neck, bushing ID is determanded by boolit dia. and 2 X neck wall thickness. First time case prep the case mouth gets a 30° per side inside chamfer, this elemanates the need for the M die.
    I have 3-4 different lake city mfg. dated brass, each has it's own neck thickness plus some factory brass so I use bushing diameters from .334-.339, outside neck turning the necks may change these numbers.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you are turning the necks also you will want a tudge of "fudge factor". I use a .338 bushing with most of my Match LC cases. One lot needs a .337 bushing. Then I use a .31 M die which uniformly expands the inside a very, very little (actually none on some cases) and gives a consistent bell to the case mouths. That gives me .002 tension on the .311 sized bullets.

If you get a .337, .338 and the .339 bushings you will have the bases covered for a lot of milsurp cases. WW, R-P and Fed cases many times take a smaller bushing as the case necks are thinner.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.