Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Pro 4-20 gets too hot

Would the control I need be marked with something like 3,35A/220V AC?

Banned

It likely would, BTW I posted the LEE part number in an earlier post.

Yes, I saw it. Thanks for the help. Good to know what the problem with the pots were. I will wait for the new pots to arrive in mid february. It is way too cold to cast outside now anyway, -1*f now.

Quote Originally Posted by hogstad7 View Post
    It is also without the plug, so all indicates that a jerk at Lee can't do his job.
    Last year I bought a Lee Pro 4-20, it also comes without a plug. From several dealers the pots are available with a plug, but more expensive! The difference is, the cheaper pot, as I bought, comes without a plug, because it has no CE marking. This marking is required for many products in the EU Member States and the EFTA countries Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
    My Pot works out of the box, but a PID controller is a good addition.

Banned

The LEE 220V unit does not come from the factory with a plug installed.
    That is because it can be used on US 220V or Any of the other countries around the world - something like 6 different plug styles.
    The odds are, that If it came with one , You would just have to cut it off and put your own countries on anyway.

All Lee pots sold here in Norway comes without the plug.
    What I meant earlier is that all parts except the control is correct on my pot.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the same problem as my fellow countryman. I also have a broken Lee 10 lbs pot sitting in my garage, but when it worked, it didn't get too hot so I guess it had the right part to set the temp right. So, can I use the part from the 10 lbs Lee pot or does this not work in the 20 lbs pot? If I could use it I don't have to order a new one from Lee. The shipping and handeling to Norway seems kind of steep.

Thanks

Banned

I'm afraid you can't use the #10 control in a #20 pot.
    The current requirements are different.

As weird as it seems, you could 'likely' use the 20# 220V control in a 10# 110V pot, and the other way around.

But that doesn't help your problem.

I know what you mean about the shipping, IIRC I shipped ~2 lbs to Norway for ~ $45

I pulled the top off my 220V pot and this is the control.

The pot is about 10 years old, so not sure if the new ones would have the same codes.

Hunter74, if your pot is dead, it is most likely just the element. That shouldn't be too expensive to mail out to you.
    Last edited by Norbrat; 02-03-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. My pot isn't dead but I guess I have the wrong part in my pot and I have the one for 110v. I've guessed this after reading this and other posts on a different forum, but I'm not sure. The problem is that the pot is on MIN, the lowest setting, and the temp on the pot maxes out on approx 950-1000F, regardless of what setting the rheostat is on. The only way to control the temp is to pull the plug on it and it's a PITA to be frank. The pot was like this new so I could return it but I would rather fix it myself if it isen't too much of a hassel. Many of the Lee pots for 220V does have this problem so it's a fairly known problem so if I return it I may also get a new one with the same problem.

I'll open it tomorow and se if I could understand something when looking at the part in the post abowe. If it only could be as simple as to use the part from my 10 lbs broken pot.....but as Frozone said that does not likely gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    <edit>
    You need this part #EM2730
    </edit>
    Just had a look at the parts list at leeprecision.com

The "thermostat" for the Pro 4 20lb 220V is shown as EM1133, but it is described as "Thermostat 110V". Let's hope that's a Lee typo!

For the 110V model, it's shown as EL3466

For production pot (10lb model) 110V they show 2 different part no's: 90093 & EM1133.

And for production pot 220V also 2 no's: 90094 & EM2730

I reckon send Lee an email, and based on their reputation for customer service, they will most likely send you a thermostat in the mail for free.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I opened up my Pro4-20 and took a look on the "thermostat". It had 6.7A/120V printed on it so it's clearly the wrong one for my 220V pot. Guess I should mail Lee and ask if they could send me the right one. On their web page they say they charge a 15 dollar handling fee for international customers + shipping cost (+customs and 25% tax on all of it in Norway) so I guess it all ads up to the 9 dollar part before I have it in my hands. But it's free to ask! Thank you for all the advice! This is a great forum! You'll hear how it goes!

Boolit Buddy
    Got a replay from Lee Customer support and got even more confused. Anyone understanding what he's talking about, I don't ? What "points"? Where are they lockated?

"Mr. Bakke,

That is the correct thermostat, as thermostats are not voltage specific, but simply open and close a set of points, based on temperature. If you look at these points, they are probably welded shut, if you are constantly heating.

Thanks,

Andy"

Banned

He's full of *&^%.

The 'points' he refers to are the contacts at the free end of the flat metal strips.
    Small, round and facing each other. They look like little silver hockey pucks.
    They open and close as the control works.
    Simply gently pull 'down' on the bottom strip and see if they open.

I was going to download a pix from LEE and add arrows, but LEE's site is incredibly slow today, and the CS line is constantly busy.

Well I finally contacted LEE customer service.
    They want the pot back so they can see for themselves.
    They won't pay the return shipping either.

'Peter' didn't even know what an Infinite Control is..
    Last edited by Frozone; 02-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, sending the Pot to Lee and pay shipping is out of the question. I'll eyball the thermostat tomorow and see if i could get it to work. Another posibility is to buy a new one from Midway Norway. I mailed them today and they assured me that this one would fit. http://www.midway.no/epages/MidwayNo...roducts/516277

Frozone...how much for your PID including shipping to Norway? If I don't get this to work I might order one.....guess I might do anyway, but since I'm quite new to the casting game I'm learning somthing everyday and I can't afford all the gear that's "nice to have" all at once, if you know what I mean

Banned

That midway part is a good bet, at least They will warrant it, AND get on LEE's case if it isn't the right part.

Shipping is the bugger, IIRC ~ $48US, and that doesn't include duties, if any.
    The unit is $160 /w thermocouple.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I took my pot apart again and eyeballed the thermostat some more. The reason for the "full throttle" on the thermostat was that the contact points were welded together. Anyway it was not only to pry them from each other because when I did that it didn't heat op at all. I was about to give it up but after a little tinkering and bending of the bimetal strip and got the feel of it it finally did work! It had to be bent just right ! I haven't tried to cast with it but it just looks like it works and it holds the temp at about 700F at setting 5.

Guess it sometimes pays off to be stubborn (and dirt cheap) Thanks for good advice!

I have now fixed my pot. I followed the description by "hunter74".

Thanks for the help guys!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Hunter74,

You are talking like a typical boolit caster and it sounds like you are well on your way now. Congratulations on repairing/adjusting your pot's controls.

Boolit Master
    L+E=0
    L is Lee
    E is Electricity