RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Copper plated 22s same effect as jacketed bullets

Boolit Master

Copper plated 22s same effect as jacketed bullets

Does firing copper plated bullets in a 22 have the same effect on the following lead bullets as it does following jacketed with cast in a center fire?

How many lead bullets to wash out copper if there is an effect?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I've never seen a .22 LR round that was actually copper plated (like so-called Total Metal Jacket bullets). The ones that look like copper have a copper colored dry lubricant applied to the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I was tasught that before you check the accuracy of any new ammo yo clean the bore and then fire 20 rounds or more of the new ammo before firing for group. We only cleaned our rifles for storage and after cleaning had to fire them in before a match.

Copper colored .22 bullets are indeed flashplated with copper. Only a few "tenths" thick, not like handgun bullets you are thinking of. Reaching back deep into the membanks here, but I seem to recall reading ads when they were introduced, making the claim was that they were thus dry and wouldn't pick up grit. (No, I'm not that old, but I do have a collection of Am Rifleman reaching back into the '20s.) That was long ago when .22s were still grease lubed. Nowadays the lube for all .22s is a wax, including the copper plated ones. If you crush one carefully you can sometimes see the wax come off in flakes.

I find that it is true that you have to "condition the bore" with any particular ammo before it will shoot to its' potential.

I have tried to detect copper in my 10/22 bore after shooting MiiniMags extensively, but did not find any.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The only difference I have ever seen between copper washed and plain slugs is the former seems to shoot more cleanly and feed better in finicky guns. They both seem to produce the same on target effect judging by small game I've taken and wet newspaper tests. I've always found the plain boolits a bit more accurate in most guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Copper washed shoot cleaner for me but not any more accurate in my Ruger 10/22

Boolit Master

I posted a new thread after this afternoons testing. The CCI's that shot poorly in the past now seem to hold 1.0 1.5" for 5 rounds.

Not much of a 22 shooter so am not sure what effect different bullets/lubes have.

Unfortunately for me the ammo I have the least of seems to be the current accuracy champion they are RN and I owe someone a "mess" of squirrels.

Don't ell me I am going to now have to start a rifle project
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-04-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: More Info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Every one out there might prefer some bullets over others whether it be lead or copper washed. Some 22's are finicky and some are tolerant of a lot of different brands. NO TWO 22's are alike.
    Last edited by jh45gun; 02-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a thin copper wash. Similar the when you put a nail in a copper sulfate solution.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin