Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GP-100 Fans???

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Congrats on the new pistol you got a REAL GOOD deal on it! I wanted a heavier boolit to shoot in my GP to take advantage of the 6" barrel and was lucky to find a NOE 5-cav. 358429! This Keith clone runs about 178 gr. with my alloy and I have an 8# jug of H-110 so hope to have some fun!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Man
    I didn't see the GP100 I have mentioned. I paid full distributor price of $399 plus shipping and transfer about 10 years ago. It is the pretty rare limited run 5" in full under lug and stainless. I had a King Cobra, a S&W 66, a Bisley, but this one is the keeper. Wolff spring kit, and fiber optic front sight, and I would never sell. The 5" solved the problem on the 4" not being enough for the 357, and the 6" being a bit too long. the 5" is just right. I love the factory rubber/wood grips also. Have fun.

Boolit Buddy

The 4", full-underlug, SS GP-100 was the first handgun I ever bought, when I was 14 years old. The one I have has a heavy but smooth trigger, and the accuracy I once got with SJHPs was astounding. I wish it was a 5" barrel, but the 4" is fine. One day I'll send this off to Gemini Custom, and maybe then I'll have them put a 5" tube on. The cylinder throats slugged .357" in mine, which is what I plan to size to, but I haven't cast anything for it yet because I don't have a mold. Roy Fishpaw did the matching wrap-around French walnut grips for this and it's little brother. Incidentally, I have a 6" K-22 and a 4" kit gun, both with proper adjustable sights, and for the life of me I cannot shoot them as well as I can shoot the little SP-101 .22 with its lame windage-only, quasi-adjustable sights. I'm nothing special as a pistol shot, but I once knocked down 8 out of 10 100 m rams with the SP .22 and its 4" barrel and iron sights. (Pay no attention to the S&W K-22 with curly Koa).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishpaw Grips 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	59687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishpaw K22 021.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	59688

I have a GP100 in .38 Special with fixed sights. It is a gun that is very often in the range bags. On the Rugerforum, you could download the Iowegan book of knowledge to improve the action a few years ago. It does not tune as well as a Six series but will do.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Still have not heard any reports on the cylinder throat to barrel bore specs????
    I have a 4.2" Stainless GP-100. Three of my cylinder throats would not allow a .356 bullet to push through them and three wouldn't allow a .357 bullet pass through them. I had the throats reamed to .358 as I shoot cast almost exclusively. Accuracy improved immediately. Another fellow has the blued version and his throats were tight as well. Once reamed out to .358 accuracy improved significantly.
    Tight throats seem to be common among Rugers and this model is n exception from our experience up here.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    My GP100 must be just over .358" in the throats. .358" bullets are a snug fit.

As long as you can just push the bullets through the throats there should be no problem. If they won't push through at .358 then cast bullets are going to be swagged down to the diameter of the throat which is going to impact accueacy.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Mold
    gp100 doesnt get any better..I have a ss 6" barrel..135 gr rfn bullet..4 gr tite group...drives nails

I have a ss version that I traded my Taurus Judge for no problems with the cylinder at all.

Boolit Mold
    So I've been the proud owner of my first revolver, a 1995 6in full lug stainless GP100, for a few weeks now. Wish I had the hogue grips but the inserts add some flare.

I have been casting Mihec .359 125 hollow points for my 9mm for months now and I'm wondering how fast can I really push them? One of the reasons I chose the .359 size was with the idea that I would also be able to cast for a 357 if I got one someday, of course now its looking like the most I can get out of a lead 125grn in 357 is the same velocity I'm getting in 9mm. Anyone with some experience on this one? Haven't had much luck finding actual accounts.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 4" blued 357 I'll be picking up on Monday. I been waiting forever for one to show up. Seems like when I do see one it's cash only and that leads me to believe no one wants to ever get rid of one. If you have that houge grip still SEAGIANT I'd buy it from ya. I can't wait to shoot it.
    Looking for more ways to shoot more bullets.

Boolit Master

It's a fantastic gun. Mine loves the Lee 158s with a hefty load of blue dot.

Edit* Man does that picture make them look worn! I promise, it's the light, they're not THAT beat up !

Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post

It's a fantastic gun. Mine loves the Lee 158s with a hefty load of blue dot.

Edit* Man does that picture make them look worn! I promise, it's the light, they're not THAT beat up !
    There is nothing wrong with honest use! This is what those shooters were intentionally built for...

Boolit Grand Master

I had a SS gp-100 and loved it but in a fit of silliness saw something else I just had to have and traded it. I took a nice 8 pt, 178lb Whitetail at about 35yrd with it using Rem Core Lokt 165gr Hunting Loads. One shot broke the front shoulder and penetrated the lungs. Deer went 20yrds or so and laid down and I walked up and gave a finish shot. I think it is a great pistol and wish I had it back. One think I did have on it was a Hi Viz front sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Congrats on the new pistol you got a REAL GOOD deal on it! I wanted a heavier boolit to shoot in my GP to take advantage of the 6" barrel and was lucky to find a NOE 5-cav. 358429! This Keith clone runs about 178 gr. with my alloy and I have an 8# jug of H-110 so hope to have some fun!
    Both my GP100 and my Blackhawk in 357 love H110. Not sure why both do but it sure save money and time having to hunt for different powders but 110 is a little smokey. Doesn't bother me at all and I've won a few dollars with them shooting against my friends who claim a Ruger just is not as accurate as other pistols. Proves that if you cast and hand load you can find something that will beat factory ammo if your persistent.

Boolit Master

There was a SS Security Six with a 6" barrel in the local gun store. It was in 85-90% condition and was priced at $375.00. I thought that was very reasonable.
    I thought it was priced low because the market is for autoloaders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinsaneok View Post
    I have a 4" blued 357 I'll be picking up on Monday. I been waiting forever for one to show up. Seems like when I do see one it's cash only and that leads me to believe no one wants to ever get rid of one. If you have that houge grip still SEAGIANT I'd buy it from ya. I can't wait to shoot it.
    Hi Justin,
    I am not home now and won't be for awhile but when I get home you can HAVE the grip! I'll send it to you if you still want it! TC Louis gave me an original grip and it fits my big hands better!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought my first revolver. A GP100 5" SS. I really like that gun. All my others are bottom feeders. Boy it's nice not having to chase your brass down. I'm getting ready to start casting.

I shoot 158gr swc clays powder in my Gp 100 6'' ss get some wolf springs and do a trigger job. And enjoy