Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Winchester 64

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Winchester 64

I think I saw my first one the other day , I was in town so I stopped by the "orphanage" to see If I could be of some help . The strategy has worked before , usually when I don't have enough money in my pocket for the "adoption"

Anyway right there in the used gun section on the wall under a couple of old Marlin rifles ( 93s I think ) was a very nice looking Winchester model sixty-four . Chambered in 218 Bee and not that I need it ...... I did think about it because after all I don't adopt guns for need , I do it for the children

What do these things sell for these days fellas ? I'm not a collector and the only Winchester I have takes en-bloc clips .

Jack

Boolit Master

Sure that isn't a Model 65 instead? 64's came in 30-30 and 32 Special.

Boolit Master
    Was it an original or a reproduction by Miroku the first of which were marked with the Browning name I believe? They are lovely little rifles and an original in good condition is worth some bucks. Enough that you should do some research on condition and selling prices and then decide. The reproductions are extremely well made and if the price is right I would be all over it. I think they were available in two grades with the deluxe model having some engraving and fancy wood. A deluxe in mint condition would sell for close to 1500 here, possibly a bit more.. A standard around 900-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Sure that isn't a Model 65 instead? 64's came in 30-30 and 32 Special.
    My mistake , chambered in 218 Bee for sure so must be a sixty-five . I didn't ask the clerk to examine the rifle so I really don't know the manufacturer . I was straining my eyes to see the tag and I thought it to say Winchester . The condition from eight feet away looked like it could have been a reproduction , it looked new . I think the price was eight hundred fifty bucks .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I would buy it at that price but prices may vary where you live.

It kept tugging at my heartstrings and wallet but I resisted the urge to ask to inspect it . The bad thing is , I need to go into town again tomorrow and since I'll be near the orphanage ........

Jack

Boolit Bub
    Sigh! If i'm still thinking about after a night's sleep, it usually follows me home...if it's still there!

Boolit Master

Could also be a model 53 which is a remake of the 92

Boolit Grand Master

Never a good thing to walk away from a rifle like that. Two things can happen, both bad. First; someone else sees it, knows what he's looking at and snatches it up. You blew your chance. Second; it's still there when you show up, the clerk sees that "puppy in the window" look on your face and your bargaining position is shaky at best. And yes, second scenario isn't all that bad.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

218Bee Browning Lever

these are fun little rifles, components are a problem to come buy, and check out the price of new ammo...$75/50. If it was an original Winchester, it's worth +++ bucks.

I did stop back today and confirmed that it is a Miroku made Browning and it is a very clean rifle . As I drew a bead on the moose head across the store with it , the whispers of it's charm tried to influence me . I held firm to my convictions that I have plenty of charm with my Browning model fifty three chambered in 32-20 and the Kimber model eighty-four . The older I get the less I am able to use open sight effectively , so I left the rifle on the wall for one of you guys to discover .

She is a looker and if you'd like a date with her I can fix you up .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I can understand your point of view. I have both the Miroku made 53 and 65. The .218 is a bit more trouble to cast for and there are not too many j-types available. The 32-20 is a gun I love to shoot and it is a piece of cake to cast boolits for. Miroku did a good job on those two.

You are so right , I've been fooling with cast in the tiny bore in a bolt action and I'm getting OK groups but I do have a way to go . The 32-20 though , well.... it shoots as well as I can see to direct it . Enough so that there are days I take it with me while I'm walking around the fields out back . Ya never can tell when I might stumble onto a stupid woodchuck that doesn't see me .

Jack

Boolit Master
    if it was a real winchester in 218 in that condition. it would have been cheap at twice that price.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    if it was a real winchester in 218 in that condition. it would have been cheap at twice that price.
    I kinda thought that was the case . But for those that missed out when Winchester was making them , this Browning is just sooooo nice .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I like my Browning in .218 but really need to put a peep on it. It has capability that my eyeballs cannot use with the factory irons. The .32-20 is just perfect for lots of things and very accurate. I went nuts and bought a S&W revolver in .32-20 so as to play with the lower velocity loads. Either the .218 or the .32-20 are fine for 100yd coyote in a semi settled area. Quiet and efficient. I bought a NOE mold for the .218 but haven't gotten to play with it yet.

Boolit Master
    I have little interest in antiquities in rifles unless they are also in excellent shooter condition. I'd take the Browning every time over an older one that may have bore/condition issues. My experience with the Miroku reproductions is that they were improved over the originals in steel strength, fit and finish and barrel consistency. Anyhow Jack you have great strength of character to walk away from that one.

Boolit Master
    Well done sir, you have true grit to walk away. (did you look back by chance as you went out the door?)
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master
    You coward, sir. To turn your back on that poor orphan....
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Somewhere out there ...... a kind loving soul with good eyes is searching for just such a rifle . And that kind loving soul is just waiting to treasure and care for that nice rifle and take it on long walks along the side of the soybean fields . They will work in harmony together the legs and eyes of the operation and the long arm o' th' law layin' low them furry lil' bean an' clover munchers .

Not so much a coward as trying to be considerate* .... sorry to say it doesn't always work out as I intend .

Jack

* Ya oughta see the wood on my Browning 32-20 . whata piece o' work !!!