RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: savage 24v

If the grandson is only 7 months now, by the time he can pack it you should have all the wrinkles ironed out. JW

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a 223 over 12g a few years back new in the box for 250. I love it but it can get heavy, thought about picking up a 22/410 or 22/20 but the prices have gotten out of hand. looked and found savage is now making the model 42!!!! modern and high tech

Boolit Grand Master
    Good friend has a 30-30/12 that he hunts deer with. Sold all his other rifles except that one. He has done pretty well with it. He shoots WW 170gr silvertips and it will do about 1.5"@100yds

Boolit Grand Master

Sure wish I had kept the last one I had, 22LR over 20g. Last one I saw used they were asking 450.00 for. Out of my price bracket. Think I paid 60.00 for the one I sold for 90.00 thinking I made a good deal.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

I have the 24f. 410/22lr. was my first gun when I was 8yrs old. now im 30 and still hunt with it. Got a doe with it 2 yrs ago. Mine has the selector on the hammer, Would love to get ahold of a couple more in the different calibers, but prices have went up on these in the last couple of years. Enjoy the new gun.

Boolit Master
    I have one in 22 over 410. No reloading there. Wish it would grow up into a bigger shooter. I thought I over paid at $225, but my grand kids really like to shot it.

Boolit Master
    Be sure to check how close the rifle hits to the center of the shotgun pattern. I had a 30/30-20ga that would not hit any where near a usuable part of the pattern. My 22/20 is dead on.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Here's a website devoted to the 24: http://www.savage24.com/ they just changed their format and so there's not much there, but one can search their old forum for a lot of answers. Not too many reloaders there, but many of them use their 24s for hunting.

Yeah, Savage now makes a new version called the 42. Is it just me or is that one of the ugliest guns in firearms history? Or maybe that should be another post!

thanks winmike. good stuff
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Master

Have most of the Savage 24 versions. They are now highly collectable. If I remember right when the gun first came out [by Stevens] in 1938 or 1939 the retail price was around $47.00. Prices now range up to $600.00. Glad I got mine several years ago.

Larry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WinMike View Post
    Here's a website devoted to the 24: http://www.savage24.com/ they just changed their format and so there's not much there, but one can search their old forum for a lot of answers. Not too many reloaders there, but many of them use their 24s for hunting.

Yeah, Savage now makes a new version called the 42. Is it just me or is that one of the ugliest guns in firearms history? Or maybe that should be another post!

i actualy have one of these save model 42's
    i got it for my girl friend a bit before christmas.
    i it a very fun little and effective little gun, so far i
    have taken quail with the 410 barrel and jack rabbits with
    the .22 barrel.

i personaly find it to be a very attractive looking gun
    that being said, im 23 years old. so synthetic stocks
    dont put me off very much
    hello.

Boolit Master

How about the 222 over 3" 20 gauge?

Stock is replaced with factory replacement.

Have to get it out and play this spring
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

I won't tell my age but, my 24 is old.. It's a .22LR over a
    .410 shotshell... Many shots have gone through it. Two sons.
    and a membership in a club with several ranges. One son got
    so much use out of it that he could knock an empty .22 box
    off the 100 yard marker.. I paid a co-worker $20.00 for
    it.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 22 over 410, second yr production, has taken lots of grouse, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

I sold my .30/30 over 20 ga. 24V in the hopes of finding a similar model in .357/20ga. My hopes didn't pan out, so I settled for a .357 Handi Rifle instead. Someday, I may send it back for a 20 ga. barrel to be fitted. Dang! I miss that 24V.

Boolit Master
    Y'all are making me wish I hadn't traded my 24VDL (.22 Mag/20Ga). But it was 45 years ago and I needed something else at the time. Have to admit I don't miss it anywhere near as much as I miss my DCM M1 Carbine I traded for a typewriter to do term papers in college. When you are married and the GI bill is paying $125.00 a month, you do what you have to do. but I still miss that carbine.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    I used to have a 24V-357/20 but never could make it shoot well so sold it and bought a 30-30/20 which shoots very well. I sold the 357/20 to a tugboat skipper who took it to Alaska and later said it did fine for blacktails and the occasional caribou not to mention birds with the shotgun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmith View Post
    i am going to start building loads that get back to the old school 357. i should easily get to the silouette loads. if the stars shine happily on me i can find that load that shoots in the savage and dan wesson both. i may be asking too much but that is part of the challenge to me.

the end goal for me is savage--- deer out to 100yds and dan wesson--- deer out to 50yds.
    your good to go.I dropped a deer at 150 with my 357 martini neck shot bang flop
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

Boolit Buddy

Got lucky a few years ago and traded into a new, unfired 24V 30-30 over 20ga still with hangtags on it! They were asking about $500, but it was a trade, so I came out ok, I hope- got what I wanted to replace that old 24 22LR over 20gr that went into the Waimaik River in New Zealand back in 1996- the 30-30 is a far more flexible round for a reloader and hunter- I'm happy, and my grandkids will be happier someday as well!
    Chuck