Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Hercules 2400

Boolit Bub

Hercules 2400

Just wondering if you would have any idea when a 5 pound can of Hercules 2400 was manufactured. It is marked "2400 LOT 297 NET 5 LB" This can is still sealed.

Boolit Master

I'd e-mail Alliant and ask them the same question.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

If the can is red, I'd say 1960's.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

If it's still sealed, what difference does it make? It will still go bang.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    My go to powder on the rare stout .357 loads.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    My go to powder on stout .357, 44Mag & 45LC loads.

Winelover

Boolit Master

My go to on .30 Carbine (cast and FMJ) and cast .30-06. Yes, .357 Mag and 45 LC too.

Boolit Master

Choot 'em.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    My three 22 hornets think it's yummy!
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Buddy
    I just looked at the 3 - 1 lb cans I have. Each has an alphabetical prefix followed by a month/year. My guess and it is just that, a guess; is that your numbers mean Feb 1997.

Boolit Bub
    Like it for my 223.

Boolit Master
    Excellent powder for small caliber varmint loads. Used quite a bit in 218 bee, 25-20 and 32-20
    16 grains under a moderate weight cast boolit in 30-06 is said to be quite accurate and predictable. I've used it under a Lyman/Ideal 308413 with results typical of that boolit (barely acceptable). I have both Hercules and Alliant 2400. I just opened my last can of Hercules about a year & a half ago. It looks, smells, and goes bang just like I remembered it back in the 1960s. 2400 is one of those powders one should never be without; it is just too versatile.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Alliant 2400 (formerly Hercules) is and always was a double based powder containing nitroglycerin which ensures a VERY long shelf shelf unless purposely stored incorrectly. The type container will indicate if it is the slower version or the newer faster production. I'm working on lot 668 which I bought in the 80's in bulk. My square can is of the slower burning rate (I can't read the lot #) but my cardboard cylinder type containers are all the newer faster burning rate. As suggested above, I'd call Alliant and ask them. They are super nice people to deal with also.
    358 Win

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    Alliant 2400 (formerly Hercules) is and always was a double based powder containing nitroglycerin which ensures a VERY long shelf shelf unless purposely stored incorrectly. The type container will indicate if it is the slower version or the newer faster production. I'm working on lot 668 which I bought in the 80's in bulk. My square can is of the slower burning rate (I can't read the lot #) but my cardboard cylinder type containers are all the newer faster burning rate. As suggested above, I'd call Alliant and ask them. They are super nice people to deal with also.
    358 Win
    I never found this to be so.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    swheeler, no expert here at all, but I have read reports that the "newer" (not in the square cans) 2400 is 6% faster. The faster burning rate was morphed by Hercules, not Alliant. My testing in my .357 Rifles using several chronographs has born this out. The old square metal can of 2400 produced lower velocities than my Hercules round cardboard containers. I bought so much Hercules 2400 in bulk that I have not tested any Alliant 2400 to date. Of course there is always the lot to lot variation and could have had a hand in my testing.
    358 Win

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen View Post
    I just looked at the 3 - 1 lb cans I have. Each has an alphabetical prefix followed by a month/year. My guess and it is just that, a guess; is that your numbers mean Feb 1997.

Alliant bought Hercules in November of 1994. A can from 1997 wouldn't have the Hercules logo.