Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee finally fixed the LM primer system?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    Mine may be / probably is white , also .

The black plastic bracket , on mine , that holds the safety prime , mounts to the front - right hand " turret post " . It came with a black plastic washer , about 1/4" thick .

This plastic washer is installed under neath the black plastic bracket . Raising the bracket and safety prime up about 1/4" .

My cousin discovered , the sizing die must be adjusted up - down in the turret . The goal is to make the shell holder , brass & ram stop at the " correct height " . When this is achieved , the safety prime will deposit the primer into the primer cup , of the priming lever / rocker .

Thus adjusted , the priming works slicker than snot . Every time .

God bless
    Wyr
    Do you have a video?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 200swc View Post
    Do you have a video?
    Well ...........

Never really thought about it .

Do you mean , a video of the process of adjusting the die to the " correct " height in the turret ? Or of it just working OK ?

May I suggest , you check for a video on youtube ?

Also , check out the forum at

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...wforum.php?f=3

If you still need some assistance , contact me & I suppose I could try to make a video . Please be mindful , the quality of anything like a video or even photos , is likely not to be very good .

But I am happy to try to help .

Also , please bear in mind , since receiving the Lee LoadMaster , I mostly use the turret press for brass prep and calibers for which the volume does not justify the cost of the conversion parts for the LM . And , the fact that the dies for those calibers are already in the 4 hole turrets & were adjusted long ago & I am probably a little rusty at adjusting them .

Of course , that is one of the attractions of the turrets , once adjusted , you do not have to mess with the dies , as long as you do not change the load .

Right now , I am loading .30-30 with Ranch Dog ~ 165 grain FN GC bullets . Priming is working fine .

Best of luck .

God bless
    wyr

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjmKWFpSYo

Here is a video on the turret press . I watched part 1 . That is all I watched .

He may have the info you need , in the other parts ?

He seems To enjoy listening to himself talk !

God bless
    Wyr

In Remembrance

I bought the"new" primer trough and slider about 8-10 months ago and promptly broke a chunk out of the slider, which seemed to be a bit brittle. After that I had a lot of flipped primers. After reading this thread I called Lee and told them of my frustrations with the prime system. I had given up on small primers altogether. They are sending the latest edition of large and small systems at no charge. Thanks Mike for the heads up. I also talked with them about a mould (6cav. 357-150) that is casting off center boolits. They said send it in and if it is truly off center they will replace it. Thanks Lee!

In Remembrance

I got the new parts in the mail Saturday and got them installed Sunday. I have since ran about 200 rounds through it without a single primer problem. I also moved the size die to station two (removed the deprime rod) and put a Lee universal deprime die in station 1. I'm really liking this. Makes me anxious to get the other LM set up for small primers and try the 38 Special and 9 mms on it.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 01-16-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy

LM newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I got the new parts in the mail Saturday and got them installed Sunday. I have since ran about 200 rounds through it without a single primer problem. I also moved the size die to station to (removed the deprime rod) and put a Lee universal deprime die in station 1. I'm really liking this. Makes me anxious to get the other LM set up for small primers and try the 38 Special and 9 mms on it.

My LMs, two of them, were given to me by a friend who moved on to another machine and the second as a thanks for some WWII radio gear. The primer assembly looked worn so I ordered a new one from from Midway, arrived last week. Posts on this forum have given me a lot of info on getting the press going but I do have questions about the powder measures. One LM is set up with the chain pull powder measure for rifle cartridges and the other that was only used for pistol cartidges has a disc sysytem. Any advice or "gotchas" with these is appreciated. It seems like an OK system once its debugged. For 45.70 and 43 Spanish I use old RCBSjr presses I bought used and a Lyman metal measure/droptube.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

EdZ KG6UTS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZ KG6UTS View Post
    My LMs, two of them, were given to me by a friend who moved on to another machine and the second as a thanks for some WWII radio gear. The primer assembly looked worn so I ordered a new one from from Midway, arrived last week. Posts on this forum have given me a lot of info on getting the press going but I do have questions about the powder measures. One LM is set up with the chain pull powder measure for rifle cartridges and the other that was only used for pistol cartidges has a disc sysytem. Any advice or "gotchas" with these is appreciated. It seems like an OK system once its debugged. For 45.70 and 43 Spanish I use old RCBSjr presses I bought used and a Lyman metal measure/droptube.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

EdZ KG6UTS

The perfect powder measure is / was sold with rifle kits . It has greater " drop capacity " , which is the reason for using it with large capacity rifle brass . Used with a corresponding powder drop die and chain return , it makes a system for use on the LM and P1000 progressive presses .

Then there is the two disk measures . That is what I use for up to .223 & .30-30 on my LM . The hand gun die sets come with a powder die . For rifle use , there is a different powder die to use with the disk measure .

This system can be set up for spring return for single stage presses or turret presses . For progressive presses , it is HIGHLY recommended to use the chain return .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! It looks like a bit of fiddle time to get one LM set for .223, 6.5X55, and 30.06 and the other .38/.357 and 9mm. These are all used so tweeking is expected...as well as my learning curve. There is a three holer Lee turret too from a swapmeet, probably end up as .45ACP , At least the investment for all of them is under $50.

Merrry Christmas!!

EdZ KG6UTS

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! It looks like a bit of fiddle time to get one LM set for .223, 6.5X55, and 30.06 and the other .38/.357 and 9mm. These are all used so tweeking is expected...as well as my learning curve. There is a three holer Lee turret too from a swapmeet, probably end up as .45ACP , At least the investment for all of them is under $50.

Merrry Christmas!!

EdZ KG6UTS

Best of luck .

Check out this forum

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...ec0af423b1044b

Also lots of videos on youtube .

Clean & lube it before you start . Perform the adjustments indicated in the FAQ's .

Do not worry about the modifications , at first .

Try to run a sizing die in station # 2 .

God bless
    Wyr
    Merry Christmas

Take it slow , at the start , only one case at a time .

In Remembrance

Merrry Christmas!!

EdZ KG6UTS
    You may want to load 223 on the press that you do 9mm and 38/357 on so that you aren't swapping primer sizes, just turrets with dies and powder measure set.

Boolit Mold
    The problem that really bugs me is owl varies between the first 4rds, the next 42 rds, and the last 4 rds. I have decapper in no.1, resizer in no.2, but owl still varies more than I accept. Any suggestions?

Boolit Mold
    The problem that really bugs me is owl varies between the first 4rds, the next 42 rds, and the last 4 rds. I have decapper in no.1, resizer in no.2, but owl still varies more than I accept. Any suggestions? I am trying to type overall length,not owl.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter 500 View Post
    The problem that really bugs me is owl varies between the first 4rds, the next 42 rds, and the last 4 rds. I have decapper in no.1, resizer in no.2, but owl still varies more than I accept. Any suggestions?
    OAL varies when there is less than a full shellplate. It's just the way it is.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally my primer system works!
    I changed it and tried to make 100rd in a row and I succedded without any hicups.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    I contacted Lee about my priming errors just now, and will update on their response.

I had bought the last update on the primer assemblies, and it did not fix all my troubles. This time I have asked them to send me the newest replacement. I'm hoping they do, I'm always impressed when a company is willing to spend money to stand behind their product; it just makes me love it all the more.

EDIT: Within 13 minutes I had this reply from Lee:

Hi Joshua,

I'll get the latest design trough assemblies out to you in Friday's mail at no charge.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.
    Last edited by Christorbust; 01-16-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: response from Lee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Christorbust View Post
    I contacted Lee about my priming errors just now, and will update on their response.

I had bought the last update on the primer assemblies, and it did not fix all my troubles. This time I have asked them to send me the newest replacement. I'm hoping they do, I'm always impressed when a company is willing to spend money to stand behind their product; it just makes me love it all the more.

EDIT: Within 13 minutes I had this reply from Lee:

Hi Joshua,

I'll get the latest design trough assemblies out to you in Friday's mail at no charge.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.

Can not beat that .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Master
    Well I wished Lee was so willing to help me out as I've been using their equipment for a very long time now. Here is my email and their reply back regards to the primer sliders and their new improved priming system:

My first response to Lee's customer service:
    I'm running into the issue of not being able to find any of these sliders since the discontinuation of the original primer system. When I purchased my presses, one over 10 years ago and then a refurbished from Lee I had also purchased 5 of each the small sliders and the large sliders if I remember correctly and now I am out of the large ones and have only 1 of the small sliders that is in the small primer trough still in working condition. Many of the sliders were messed up when I first set up the presses so I've been running with just a few over the years and haven't needed to look for replacements until now.

Please advise me so I can have my press up and going again.

Lee's Response:
    07-25-13

Robert,
    New Load Master Primer Feed System
    The new priming system has been designed with the elimination of damaged primer feed components in mind. In this way you should always be able to continue loading without having to wait for replacement parts. Primers are still being fed with the same reliable feed mechanism.
    The system should always present a fresh primer even if the sequence has been interrupted. If a primer is in position to be seated before a case is present, the primer lever will be returned to pick up a fresh primer, and the one already in position will simply be pushed out of the way to prevent any jam up. This should only happen when starting the loading process, as a new primer is only fed when a case passes the primer lever and the cases have been resized, deprimed and are ready for priming.
    You will just need to order the new primer feed systems.

Tech Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket Details
    Ticket ID: FKH-414-32570
    Department: CustomerService
    Type: Issue
    Priority: Normal

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php?

My response:
    I understand how the new improved primer system works, thanks for the information, and as I've done more looking on the internet this morning on the loadmasterzone and on the cast boolit forum both of which I'm subscribed it seems as if this may be a welcomed improvement. I'll post this email up on these forums so others can see what their options are should they be at the point I'm in with the older priming system.

I guess buying the new primer system is what I have to do however I wished I only had to buy a small slider as the cost was less than $1 IIRC and I've not had many issues with the older primer system and actually liked it. Now I have to put down more $ to get my press up and running do to a change at Lee. Interesting, maybe a I need to look at different equipment.

Thanks,

Robert

Nice!!! Lee has never done me wrong before but I suppose all things aside the older priming systems are aging but what will upset me more is if the newer priming systems don't work as well as my older ones.

Boolit Master
    Rob, I have not tried the new priming system yet! Being in the same boat as you with the older units, I feel your pain. Although mine are still functioning and I have a spare slider on hand, it's time to order the new units and move on.

Unfortunately, several manufactures (Lee, Hornady, RCBS) often discontinue support for older products, especially when they have a newer and improved unit out. Lee no longer has t-bar priming arms, 3 hole auto-index parts, Hornady no longer supports their scales or their original progressive, RCBS the list is too long to mention!

I actually think I may try making my own sliders from UHMW plastic and see what happens.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Yep......moving on I guess:

Here is Lee customer service's last email response which to me means that even with the discount I still have to ship the useless primer systems back on my dime and for what so they can throw them in the trash. Talk about a waste of money.

Hi Robert,

Per our Lee Lifetime Guarantee, you are welcome to return your old style primer feeds and we can replace them with the new design at 1/2 price, they would cost $6.00 each.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027

Ticket Details
    Ticket ID: FKH-414-32570
    Department: CustomerService
    Type: Issue
    Priority: Normal

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php?

Boolit Master
    In the grand scheme of things, it could be worse! Picking up the new ones will be less then $20.00 out of pocket.

One thing to remember about the new ones they are sold as an assembly only no parts support at all! That's why I was thinking about making my own sliders.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!