Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pics of underhammers

Boolit Master

pics of underhammers

I have a gun on order but would like to build a simple ML now. I found a underhammer at Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. I was thinking a simple 32cal with a 32" bbl. You could say that the bore and length is square! Just looking for advice here. I would like to build some of the simple parts myself. The 1in 48 is standard for round ball. Is this what I should go with or something slower. I would like to see some pics of your underhammers. (Keep in mind this is a family site!!!) I know if you built some guns you are proud of them

Boolit Master
    in a round ball gun the smalle rthe bore the faster the twist. so your 1-48 would be right. i am not smart enough to post pics. but i have been shooting under hammers for years. mine are all h&a. they are a very quick lock time.

Boolit Master

was going to post a picture but can't seem to make the new system work from photobucket.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 01-11-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Boolit Mold
    A few of mine! easy enough to build your own!

Respect Always
    Metalshaper/Jonathan

Here's mine, thou I think I've shown them before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heavy bench rifle 002.jpg   heavy bench rifle 001.jpg   heavy bench rifle 004.jpg   bench gun 2 012.JPG   chunk gun 006.JPG  

chunk gun 005.JPG   chunk gun 004.JPG  

Perm-Banned
    i really enjoy looking at pictures of real craftsmanship,inspires me to do better when i build a gun. thanks for posting pictures

Boolit Buddy

Great looking.....did y'all build the rifles from kits or scratch ? If from a kit could you please furnish details....

Thank you,

rick

Boolit Mold
    Rick,

Mine are scratch built. The banded H&A clone, has an inserted "lock works" so there are NO pins going through the frame. My
    hope is to one day engrave good enough to dress up the clones that Marlow and I make.. Marlow started work on the box frame,
    but handed it off to me to finish into a gun. the pistol is just something that I put together 'solo' in my shop.

Respect Always
    Metalshaper/Jonathan

Boolit Master

My computer went away and I am having trouble find my pictures. Here is a pistol i made several years ago and the start of a couple more under hammers. Also the little 32 cal squirrel rifle that Dale Woody engraved for me. This was made from an old pump shaft
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNDERHAMMER 36 CAL. SMALL (2).JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	58361

Name:	under hammer frames.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	58363

Name:	brass under hammer.jpg 
Views:	5017 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	58367
    Last edited by John Taylor; 01-13-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hey guys can you post some pics of the internals. I really have to build one of these.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Hey guys can you post some pics of the internals. I really have to build one of these.
    Not much to it. These parts come from Deer Creek (765-525-6181) I'm not happy with the way the trigger catches on the half cock so I grind the half cock at an angle. I have had several sent in by customers with broken triggers because they sometimes catch on the hammer. These parts are as cast and hardened. Springs are not cast.

Name:	DSCF0560.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	58374

Boolit Mold
    forgive the amateur machining.. those are NOT lightening holes, just a change in the plan

I credit this as a Mar/Dag project, since Marlow and I both worked on the frame. The insert
    is my take on the Cook style of underhammer lock. one removable screw ( through the tang
    of the guard ) makes the lock come loose from the rifle. The insert itself, keys/seats on two
    machine screws in the receiver's belly. the trigger cams the flat spring sear up and out of the engagement
    with the hammer/tumbler.. the mainspring is keyed in at the back and hooks at the front..easy enough to
    break the lock down if need be??

Boolit Mold

in its simplest form.. can be attributed to either Kendall or Hilliard in style..

Now for something a little different - A scratch-built U/H, I saw elsewhere, supposedly made with simple home workshop tools & material (even the barrel).

The internals:

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Mold
    Here's an interesting original I found today on a Google search!! Hit Images and then typed in Underhammer actions..
    May have to build a version of this one myself!!

Name:	pix158785031underhammer6.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	58523

I like that one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Metalshaper View Post
    Here's an interesting original I found today on a Google search!! Hit Images and then typed in Underhammer actions..
    May have to build a version of this one myself!!

Name:	pix158785031underhammer6.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	58523

Boolit Buddy
    Mine are more of the bench gun type

45 lb RL Morris 62 caliber Round Ball

35 lb RL Morris, .485 caliber 635 grain conical (slug gun)

The full Morris set (62 and 485 slug with a 452 RB barrel also) flinter not shown as it is not underhammer

O what the heck, the .520 RB Morris flinter

The big one, 80 lbs Breisen, 69 caliber, 1750 grain projectile, ( slug gun)

Boolit Master
    all I can say is WOW!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    all I can say is WOW!
    Let's see if we can change that to UGH!

Here is a rifle I built in less than 2 hours. (Okay maybe 1) A friend was driving up to show me his latest flintlock and I needed something to show also. The stock is pine, artificailly tiger striped, the working patchbox is engraved withthe same method used to stripe the stock. The barrel actually was a piece of HP tubing I had previously bored and lined to .22 caliber. The action is a flat spring with a brass cup attached. It is tripped by a ledge on the ring trigger. The sight have been removed but the rear was adjustable for both W&E, the wood block shifted from side to side and the eye screw could be turned up or down. The front sight was a 16d nail attached to a hose clamp. Oh, the inlays are a rarely encountered metal on frirearms but historically found on a few, aluminum.

All in all, I had a bit of fun building it and yes, it did fire and for what it was, it hit the mark! Some day I may refine it quite a bit, but the idea of a 22 caliber muzzleloader is not one I am likely to persue.

Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    The more I look at underhammers, the more serious I get about them. I keep looking at the leftover H&A parts gun in the corner and contemplating trading it off so I have an excuse to get more serious about building a rifle with the sealed ignition underhammer action sitting on my desk. I think I'd like to have one good heavy-barrel bench rifle like the ones Plastickosmd has posted, but I'll probably not get to it as long as I have the H&As to tinker with. On the other hand, I get the pleasure of tinkering with them. . . . it is a quandary.