Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Primer .45 acp cases...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Tearing up the ground is purely the jerk behind the trigger, not the gun.

Bill
    True Bill, but the primer was used for reliability under harsh conditions. Going through basic I wondered how most could survive battle. Spray and pray?

Boolit Master
    Large pistol primers in the 45 ACP never hurt my accuracy that much

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
    Large pistol primers in the 45 ACP never hurt my accuracy that much

Try that with a revolver John.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the small primer ammo. Nobody wants it so they give it to me or just leave it at the range and I pick it up. I sell all the large primer brass and buy small pistol primers. Then I only need small pistol primers for all of my reloading with the exception of 45 colt. Hmmm, haven't run across any small primer brass there yet.

Boolit Buddy

got a good deal on some 45 acp, shot them and realized they are small primer. Just a pain to separate them from large primer.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, .38 Special and .357 Magnum used to come with both small and large primer pockets, too. They finally settled on small primers for them, and that's probably what's going to happen with the .45 acp. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that it might happen.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quigley View Post
    I love the small primer ammo. Nobody wants it so they give it to me or just leave it at the range and I pick it up. I sell all the large primer brass and buy small pistol primers. Then I only need small pistol primers for all of my reloading with the exception of 45 colt. Hmmm, haven't run across any small primer brass there yet.
    .45 Colt needs a LP primer, works best with standard, good with WLP and not as good with mag's.
    I no longer own any .357's so I have nothing between a SP and SP mag for info. I did use the SP mag in mine long ago.
    I have seen the SR mag primer fail to ignite powder in the .454 but it pushed the boolit and powder far into the bore. LP standards ignited every charge but the LP mag was more accurate.

Boolit Master

If you built a 1/2" 1911, you built the best one I've ever heard of. The Service boys are trying like hell to build them like you did but so far they haven't got there yet.

IMO the small primer won't give the 45ACP any more accuracy than the large primer. The Military and the 2700 shooters have experimented with just about everything to include small pistol primers, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming etc and nothing produced any more accuracy than just the plain ole cartridge with a large pistol primer shooting whatever weight bullet with whatever weight powder charge that particular pistol liked. Some weigh every case and separate them by weight but so far nothing has come along to tip the scales.

That's not to say that some 1911's might not benefit from the small primer pocket, but I would hazard a guess that those 1911's weren't very accurate to begin with and I doubt the small primer pocket would help much. I'm at a loss as to how it help your friend's 1911 so much but it's great that it did and your friend has one gem of a 1911.

The ole standby of 3.2 grains of bullseye behind a 185 grain SWC shot well for most light recoil spring custom 1911's (shooting 2.5" groups at 50 yards) but some tweaking here and there could always tighten things up a bit.

With today’s CNC machines our service members are shooting 1911's that shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and Les Baer will sell you one with a guarantee of 1.5" or better at 50 yards also and that's with large pistol primers.

Don't think for one moment that if the small primer could do better than the large primer that everyone would switch in a heartbeat.

As to the OP's question - I don't know when they started this change over but it raises as much hell in my Hornady as it does with your Dillon and I don't like it one bit either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    .45 Colt needs a LP primer, works best with standard, good with WLP and not as good with mag's.
    I no longer own any .357's so I have nothing between a SP and SP mag for info. I did use the SP mag in mine long ago.
    I have seen the SR mag primer fail to ignite powder in the .454 but it pushed the boolit and powder far into the bore. LP standards ignited every charge but the LP mag was more accurate.

The WLP is a mag primer, it is all the Winchester makes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    If you built a 1/2" 1911, you built the best one I've ever heard of. The Service boys are trying like hell to build them like you did but so far they haven't got there yet.

IMO the small primer won't give the 45ACP any more accuracy than the large primer. The Military and the 2700 shooters have experimented with just about everything to include small pistol primers, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming etc and nothing produced any more accuracy than just the plain ole cartridge with a large pistol primer shooting whatever weight bullet with whatever weight powder charge that particular pistol liked. Some weigh every case and separate them by weight but so far nothing has come along to tip the scales.

That's not to say that some 1911's might not benefit from the small primer pocket, but I would hazard a guess that those 1911's weren't very accurate to begin with and I doubt the small primer pocket would help much. I'm at a loss as to how it help your friend's 1911 so much but it's great that it did and your friend has one gem of a 1911.

The ole standby of 3.2 grains of bullseye behind a 185 grain SWC shot well for most light recoil spring custom 1911's (shooting 2.5" groups at 50 yards) but some tweaking here and there could always tighten things up a bit.

With today’s CNC machines our service members are shooting 1911's that shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and Les Baer will sell you one with a guarantee of 1.5" or better at 50 yards also and that's with large pistol primers.

Don't think for one moment that if the small primer could do better than the large primer that everyone would switch in a heartbeat.

As to the OP's question - I don't know when they started this change over but it raises as much hell in my Hornady as it does with your Dillon and I don't like it one bit either.
    +1.............

Banned

Well, not everyone can shoot the gun I built. Another friend wanted to buy it but it doubled and tripled on him--full auto. The owner and I have no problems so we laugh at Pete. The trigger is superb and I made the gun fit perfect. It was not easy. But then another friend brought over a Dan Wesson 1911 and from Creedmore I shot several 1/2" groups at 50 yards with it. There are super 1911's out there now.
    Just maybe the loads and primer can make all of them better. But how can anyone ever beat the great 1911 in any form? It is the best design ever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quigley View Post

I've had great results with spp 45acp. I have actually switched over and made my life easier especially with my Dillon SDB. A drawback is that SPP has been scarce lately.

I belong to two gun clubs where every usable case is vacuumed up by the members. I buy my brass by the 1000 lots and the first thing that I do is sort them by brand and cull the small primers at the same time. I used to toss the small primer .45 cases but with our current market, I keep them now, instead. 'There may come a time when I need them. For now, I just store them away.

Sorting my cases may seem obsessive but I prefer to do it, I'm retired and have the time and it gives me a chance to sort out dangerous or difficult cases. I load in brand sorted lots because I like the results better and the sorting process is time well spent!

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Mold
    I use sp in federal brass..no problems

Boolit Buddy
    Using a small rifle primer covers the need for large pistol in the few cases that actually need it that's what happen with the 454 casual I don't think large pistol magnum primers were around when he was developing the cartridge from 45 colt so he used an adapter ring to reduce the primer pocket to small diameter as large rifle primers ar taller than pistol primers but small rifle is the same size

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
    Using a small rifle primer covers the need for large pistol in the few cases that actually need it that's what happen with the 454 casual I don't think large pistol magnum primers were around when he was developing the cartridge from 45 colt so he used an adapter ring to reduce the primer pocket to small diameter as large rifle primers ar taller than pistol primers but small rifle is the same size
    They sure were around. Dick worked with duplex and triplex loads with Bullseye next to the primer. He was worried about the LP primer taking the pressure. H110 and 296 were not there yet.
    He was trying to reach velocities with the powders available by igniting all the powder instantly, a very dangerous thing and he ruined many guns. Why the SR stuck until today is a mystery since the .460 does not use them.
    I have taken the .454 to over 55,000 psi with a LP mag primer without any flattened primers or leaks. 296 of course and even a standard LP fired all loads.
    Even the .500 S&W will work with the LP mag and cases are out there for both it and the LR primer so you need to be careful not to load a LR primer in LP brass.
    The best thing is to cut down .460 brass for the .454 if you want a caliber easy to work with.
    I drill out the .454 primer pockets but it is hit and miss with fit. Much harder then I thought to get each right. Yet even a loose primer has not caused any problem.
    A SR primer is still a misfit in the .454.