RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 1875 reloading tool

Boolit Bub

Winchester 1875 reloading tool

I have been interested in the reloading that the Old West might have done and how prevalent it really was. I saw a old reloading tool from Winchester for a .44 WCF. I was wondering how it may have worked............ anybody have any information on this model or any other information on how the much reloading was really done? Thanks.

Without a picture of the tool, I can't tell you how it worked for sure. A number of "nut cracker" or tong tools worked in similar fashion to the current Lyman 310 tool. there were others not unlike the original Lee Loader.

There seems to have been a fair amount of reloading done in the "Old West." Among the relics left by the Marquis de Moris at his chateau in Medora, ND, are cases of paper patched bullets, cans of black powder and primers, wad cutter punches etc. This dates from the late 1870s through late 1880s. The guy was stinking rich so could have bought loaded ammo an did, but also had large stocks of components.

A friend of mine who lives about 50 miles south west of Medora has an extensive collection of early saddlery and western memorabelia. There are a number of loading tools and moulds in his collection. The records of old buffalo hunters are rich with list of reloading components and patching paper. Not every cowboy had a reloading set in his saddle bag or back at the bunk house but there was a good bit of reloading activity at the time.

Remember, though, that lots of the early cartridges, even big bore, were rimfire or inside primed so were not reloadable. By late 1870s, center fire outside primed ammo was normal and the reloading tools largely stem from that period.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the information. I have seen lists of items taken into the field by Buffalo Hunters and they did include reloading supplies. I just have not seen much on the "Cowboys". The fact that the 1875 reloading tool was a for a 44 WCF I found very interesting. If you know of any reference material that talks about this I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    R. H. Chamberlain and Tom Quigley have a book called Cartridge Reloading Tools of the Past that covers all the Winchester, Remington, Ideal, Sharps and other reloading tools. E-mail Tom at tlqmlq@calama.com to get a copy.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks............. I did not have a email, but the book is on mt wish list.