Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: World's Best Metal Funnel!

Boolit Master

World's Best Metal Funnel!

I think I've found the worlds best metal funnel for use with Black Powder..........

Kuchenprofi 4" Stainless Steel Funnel.....$11.99 at Amazon.com

Yikes! I must be bored to be writing a review on a funnel!.... :-\
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    well i guess im boared too im reading it
    wouldnt a brass funnel be better so as not to conduct any static electricity?
    not sure if thats a problem or not just thinking out loud
    good looking funnel tho

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Satern poweder funnels http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...minum-funnels/

Boolit Master
    For BP I believe you want the funnel to be conductive...Brass, Copper, Aluninum, Steel............NOT plastic.

Those Satern funnels are very nice, but I wanted at least 4" diameter for pouring BP back into the can from my Lyman #55 Powder Measure
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    For BP I believe you want the funnel to be conductive...Brass, Copper, Aluninum, Steel............NOT plastic.

Those Satern funnels are very nice, but I wanted at least 4" diameter for pouring BP back into the can from my Lyman #55 Powder Measure
    Static electricity is not a problem with BP. This is an urban myth and there are videos out there to prove it. BP comes in plastic cans now, and steel cans before that.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

My bad. I was thinking funnels for a drop tube or straight in the case. I will have to get one for pouring back into the can. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master

FYI: Several years ago, the Bevel Brothers (Muzzle Blasts) conducted rigorous testing to verify or debunk whether static electricity could be sufficiently generated naturally to ignite black powder.

It cannot.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post

I'm glad you made that clear. I couldn't see your funnel and a drop tube in the same mental image.

A metal funnel for the drop tube is rather essential because you don't want any granules clinging to the funnel ... thereby changing your powder charge in the case.

But, for returning powder to the can, a little 'cling' doesn't hurt anything, and is easily dealt with.
    The 'size' of your chosen funnel is pretty reasonable for general powder pouring, though.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I'm glad you made that clear. I couldn't see your funnel and a drop tube in the same mental image.

A metal funnel for the drop tube is rather essential because you don't want any granules clinging to the funnel ... thereby changing your powder charge in the case.

But, for returning powder to the can, a little 'cling' doesn't hurt anything, and is easily dealt with.
    The 'size' of your chosen funnel is pretty reasonable for general powder pouring, though.

CM
    CM,

I wrote, in another thread on metal funnels, about my cure for the "cling". I've not noticed the problem with any powder bigger than flakes, but did find flake smokeless suffers from "static cling". So I swiped a fabric softener sheet (eliminates static cling they used to advertise for these things) from the box on the dryer. Wipe the inside of the plastic funnel with it every now and then and voila ("walla" for folks in Rio Linda), no clinging flakes. I get a new sheet once or twice each year. Inexpensive and it works very well.

Ed

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    CM,

I wrote, in another thread on metal funnels, about my cure for the "cling". I've not noticed the problem with any powder bigger than flakes, but did find flake smokeless suffers from "static cling". So I swiped a fabric softener sheet (eliminates static cling they used to advertise for these things) from the box on the dryer. Wipe the inside of the plastic funnel with it every now and then and voila ("walla" for folks in Rio Linda), no clinging flakes. I get a new sheet once or twice each year. Inexpensive and it works very well.

Ed
    I guess that's what I meant by 'easily dealt with'. I thought everybody knew about the softener sheets.

I don't use flake powder, and the flakes I know in Great Falls aren't particularly 'clingy', so I haven't really needed those sheets for that particular purpose.

However, I DO use them to discourage mice from living in vehicles that don't get driven often ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    FYI: Several years ago, the Bevel Brothers (Muzzle Blasts) conducted rigorous testing to verify or debunk whether static electricity could be sufficiently generated naturally to ignite black powder.

It cannot.
    Horsepuckey. I can pick up a static charge sufficient to jump start most cars, & I assure you, it all comes naturally to me!

Of course, that varies w/ the weather, what socks I'm wearing, etc.

As far as testing to see if BP can generate sufficient static to ignite itself from something like being fed thru a powder measure, drop tubes, etc., that I'm willing to believe. But trust me, if I'm in a 'static-y' mode [it comes & goes, some days I have to ground myself religiously w/ the door key b4 opening the door] I wouldn't choose to reload that day, uh-uh, no way!

Boolit Buddy
    Ref: BP packed in plastic bottles. Those black plastic bottles are made of conductive plastic; the raw plastic material is typically heavily loaded with carbon to make it conductive, similar material to what is used for carrying highly static-sensitive electronic chips. It will not build up a static charge. Is it necessary? I can't say, but the
    manufacturers' lawyers are not about to take chances. Something about "...better safe than sorry."

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought a glass funnel would be nifty for a drop tube. They are available at reasonable cost, just haven't gotten around to getting one. I do use the Satern funnels and they are the best for sitting and staying on a case that I have used.