Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 30-06 surplus ammo

30-06 surplus ammo

A friend was moving and gave me some 30-06 ammo he didn't want to pack . I did a little research and it is from the Utah plant and corrosive primed , the head stamp is a U at 12 o'clock a 4 at 7 o'clock and a 3at 4 o'clock , is there anything interesting about this ammo or do I just have some free shooting with the usual corrosive primer cleanup

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing collectible.
    Shoot it, and clean accordingly.
    Gregg

That's it. Might want to get one of those Lee hammer type decappers to reload the cases, those primers were really crimped in and sometimes break the decap pin on normal dies.

Boolit Master

If it is still in the military cardboard boxes, it is definitely VERY collectible. Check some WWII reenactor sites and see what it is selling for. Last time I looked, red-stripe M2 ball was high ~$50/box, and blue/yellow stripe AP was about $60-$75/box.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Up until a couple years ago I would have told you to shoot it up. As the above poster indicated, "the times they are a changin' ". Loose rounds that keep turning up in my collection of junk, er, treasures get shot away, boxed stuff gets earmarked for eventual conversion into fun money.

Heck, two weeks ago I fired away 16 loose rounds of 1903, 1906, and 1907 headstamped Krag ammo (those that didn't have split necks out of a shoe box-full of loose rounds). They all went 'bang' and the groups were satisfyingly small. I figure the empties will give a couple of reloads with cat-sneeze cast loads before I relegate them to the scrap hopper.

When I think back to the thousands of rounds of milsurp ammo I fired away as a kid in the 60's, in Krags and Springfields I just sigh. The stuff could be had for a couple bucks/hundred, the cheapness of which delayed my getting into reloading for a few years. We even shot away cases of Frankford Arsenal and Lake City .30 Match ammo which, if I had saved them, would easily pay for a European vacation today. But, wearing out a couple of '03's in the process made me a pretty good marksman, which I guess was the whole point of it any way...

These are all loose round 36 to b exact

Boolit Master
    Shoot 'em, and break out the hot water or old GI bore cleaner for a good scrubbing afterward.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Shoot em, hot soapy water with a little bit of ammonia (copper cleanup) will make the clean up a lot quicker and easier. I'd shoot them in a bolt gun though, not a gas gun. I'd also scrub good a couple times with the hot soapy water, rinse with hot water a couple times, then clean with GI bore cleaner or Ed's Red (google it, good stuff) and make sure to oil good afterwards.

Boolit Buddy

Shoot it...

Boolit Grand Master

3-4 patches wet with Windex with Vinegar (comes that way) and then 3-4 patches of Hoppes and you
    are done. Never will get why folks need to slosh and splash with hot soapy water. Som even say
    you have to do a complete teardown of the gun. Not really, unless it is a gas gun an then you do
    need to wipe the gas parts with Windex, followed by Hoppes.

It will work, and a .50 BMG will kill a whitetail, but in both cases massive overkill.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Windex is not needed to flush the salts: water is. Hence the hot, soapy water.

Do like I do and find a pit with nice rock's and see how many you can break.
    But if your getting snow like I am, it'll have to wait till spring time.

Chute 'em..

Boolit Mold
    Is it ball ammunition?

Boolit Master
    For only 36 rounds, the effort to clean the corrosive salts isn't worth it... I'd sell 'em to anybody who was willing to pay a decent price, and get some non-corrosive components to load my own...

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    3-4 patches wet with Windex with Vinegar (comes that way) and then 3-4 patches of Hoppes and you
    are done. Never will get why folks need to slosh and splash with hot soapy water. Som even say
    you have to do a complete teardown of the gun. Not really, unless it is a gas gun an then you do
    need to wipe the gas parts with Windex, followed by Hoppes.

It will work, and a .50 BMG will kill a whitetail, but in both cases massive overkill.

Bill
    I agree I shoot Czech surplus in my Sks and that stuff is supposed to be really corrosive , I use a couple wet patches ( just tap water ) and a wet ragto wipe the gas parts and bolt face and then clean as normal I have gone through 2/3rds of a case of the stuff and no problem . I shot the milsurp 30-06 , 2 duds but the rest was fun and pretty accurate stuff

Boolit Master
    Right now, I am not throwing away or just shooting up anything. I have a couple hundred rounds of military AP in enblock clips loaded every third a tracer. I dont have a current use for it and considered just giving some of it away if I could find a shipper who would take it. But now, I think prudence would dictate just holding on to it. Put em in a drawer and feel comfortable they are there.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    i have a bunch of ap. with the way things a oing it mite come in handy. my a4 likes it.