RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Substitute for RJ

Boolit Bub

Substitute for RJ

Can anyone recommend a GOOD Substitute for Rooster Jacket other than LLA.....

LLa works great, but it's so cotton picking MESSEY

Thanks,
    Gene

Boolit Grand Master

Johnson's Paste Wax is about as close as I've seen, providing a clean, hard, dry coating. But it isn't really the same at all.

Boolit Grand Master

I can recommend Recluse's tumble lube (a combination of Lee TL, Johnson's wax, and mineral spirits). It is quick drying (relatively), non-messy and doesn't lead.

Look at the sticky on Recluse's lube and follow the directions.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    That's the best lube for pistols. 45/45/10 is not messy and dries in about 30 min. I mix the Recluse lube 50% with 50% bee's wax for rifle lube. You cannot tell it from the RCBS rifle lube. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Perryman View Post
    Can anyone recommend a GOOD Substitute for Rooster Jacket other than LLA.....

LLa works great, but it's so cotton picking MESSEY

Thanks,
    Gene
    I have found that LLA is less messy if you put the bullets into a one quart ziplock bag. Then add about a tea spoon of straight LLA ( not diluted ), zip it up and tumble them around like kneading dough. It takes longer to get a uniform coverage but when you pour them out on a wax paper surface to dry, the lube does not run down and pool and make blobs. I put them under a ceiling fan for a couple of hours.

I like Rooster Jacket too but it dries so perfectly clear, I can't tell if a batch of bullets has been lubed or not.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I have found that LLA is less messy if you put the bullets into a one quart ziplock bag. Then add about a tea spoon of straight LLA ( not diluted ), zip it up and tumble them around like kneading dough. It takes longer to get a uniform coverage but when you pour them out on a wax paper surface to dry, the lube does not run down and pool and make blobs. I put them under a ceiling fan for a couple of hours.

I like Rooster Jacket too but it dries so perfectly clear, I can't tell if a batch of bullets has been lubed or not.

Isnt RJ water based? If so, a few drops of food coloring should "clear" up the problem.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    Isnt RJ water based? If so, a few drops of food coloring should "clear" up the problem.
    WOW. I am going to try that for sure.

I get really good results with it (RJ) and it is significantly less messy than LLA.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I sure wish somebody would do some spearmentn and find out what brand of floor wax RJ is. I'm about out of it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I sure wish somebody would do some spearmentn and find out what brand of floor wax RJ is. I'm about out of it.
    Sounds like you're just the man for the job!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Sounds like you're just the man for the job!
    I plan on checking the floor wax when I next visit my old co-workers. The people who did the floors in our building used to keep a 5 gal. can of the commercial stuff in the janitor closet. If it looks and smells like RJ some might just follow me home.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Rooster Jacket is a wax emulsion just like used to coat the ends of lumber to prevent splitting during drying.
    Get AnchorSeal End Sealer.
    Xlox is the same as Lee Liquid Alox, excellent and less expensive than Lee's product.
    Check for Recluse's 45/45/10 on this site.
    The "best" way to use LLA is to use as little as possible. Your bullets, after tumbling, should just appear to wet and shiny looking and not amber/brown. A little bit goes a long way. If you can see it when dry, you used too much.
    Unless you roll your bullets in dirt, any tackiness is of no import and the bullets will still do what they are supposed to do. Never knew why, for something so quick and easy to use, people have to LOOK for reasons not to like it. I have NEVER had any build up on my seating stems and can't imagine how much some must use to have that happen.

Boolit Bub

Substitute for RJ

Looking around for Anchorseal it appears there is also an Anchorseal 2. I also want a substitute for Rooster Jacket, but a little confused about this.

Boolit Grand Master

I found my MSDS for Rooster jacket, and it isn't at all the same as the MSDS for Anchorseal (or 2). I haven't tried it, so can't say if it works, but it isn't the same.

Boolit Bub

Substitute for RJ

It would appear that there is not a sure substitute for RJ. I found Anchorseal 2 on Amazon in the quart size. Just having a hard time pushing myself to do the experimenting.