MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: cube shaped buckshot?

cube shaped buckshot?

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? im curious how the cube shaped shot would preform with basicaly a full diameter meplat on all sides. I think it would be ideal for inhome use because the spreas would probably open up very fast. Anyone know of a cubed shaped mold?
    "If you have a nick-nack with a nick in it we'll knock the nick out of your nack with Brighto!" -Larry Fine

Casting on dry land...

Boolit Master
    I think some time back there was a penetration test done on Box o Truth.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

There are commercial shells sold loaded with what I'd call "prismatic" shot -- it's not quite cubical (as I recall, it's short hexagonal rods), but the pellets nest together and don't require a buffer the way conventional round shot does; far from spreading faster, these apparently carry better and keep a tighter pattern (as well as allowing the same weight shot load to take up less room, leaving more space for powder and/or wad column).

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Way back when, the backwoodsmen used a knife to cut sheets of lead to make shot. Pretty much cube-like.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Way back when, the backwoodsmen used a knife to cut sheets of lead to make shot. Pretty much cube-like.
    That sounds so MUCH BETTER than "back in the day".
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Winchester makes a product called 'Blindside' that uses hex-shot. Basically lead or steel shot, swaged or pressed (I think) into semi-cube like shapes that stack extraordinarily well. I've sold dozens of cases of it but never shot it myself. My customers tell me that it patterns extremely well.

I cut one open a while back to see what it looked like inside. The shot itself is stacked almost perfectly, I only opened one shell but I imagine it's very consistant between loads. I've met a few people at gun shows who buy the hex-shot in bulk and reload custom shells that are part shot, part slug which I thought was pretty neat.

Here's a simple cut-away picture from Google to give you an idea what it looks like. Pretty nifty!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexshot.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	54902

If only they made it in buckshot. Are there any cube shaped sinker molds anywhere??

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ubic-shot-mold

here's a thread with some pattern results at the end comparing .25" cubic to 00buck
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    i remember reading once way back that the market hunters used cubed shot of lead to slaughter ducks and geese from their "punt guns" they called it "swan shot" if i remember correctly.

I was told by George Laymen (He wrote the book on Remington rolling block rifles) that this type of shot was used to control crowds of protesters back in the 20's in India ammo loaded by Remington For the rolling block rifle. I have some of this ammo in my reloading room. some place. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing that would stack worse in a shotgun shell than a round shape is a square. Can't see the point in it, more wasted space, and no appreciable benefit at the close in the home ranges.

Getting square buckshot to release from a mould would be a nightmare. Even a square shape with less than 90 degree angles by a degree or two would be a pain.

Boolit Master
    there was a lot of wasted space in the loads I tested in the other thread. Not worth the trouble IMO.
    The cubic scatters good, but I like a nice tight buckshot pattern myself.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken